madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    These would never work with a rotational flasher behind a downrigger ball. No way to consistently set the distance between the clip and the flasher and on the drop, you'd inevitably pull the flasher into the clip. They are great for topwater trolling to keep the corner lines low however.
    That's what I wasn't sure about .I use them on my down rigger here for thresher fishing but its a whole different game .

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    That's what I wasn't sure about .I use them on my down rigger here for thresher fishing but its a whole different game .
    I'm curious... tell me more about your setup for thresher fishing. Up here we pretty much only use downriggers for salmon fishing but I've often wondered if there was a practical application for albacore or other species.

Reactions: ledbed6b
    Upvote 0

Tish

Almost A Member
    Jun 27, 2019
    Shoreline WA
    Name
    Grant
    Boat
    1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
    I've had a couple or more main line tangles but it's coming with the high speed Scotty 2106's when fishing deep. I'm hard headed and use a knuckle buster which can't keep up the rigger when hauling. If you don't stop the rigger, catch up reeling and then haul again you'll have a chance of snagging the lure/flasher as the main line goes by from sagging back. Fishing deep "for me" is a pain in the ass with a knucklebuster but I'm too hard headed to change.

For a few years I've been using these for a clip. https://www.bigctackle.com/index.html. They work well but kind of a pain also till you get used to them. A bit awkward to wrap the line on the spindle. I might have to try the Off shore tackle ones as they look easier.
    The pro release is the one I prefer as well. I find this is the only one I've tried that works really well with braid. The only downside I've found is that the braid eventually wears small grooves into the bobbin after enough hours of use with 40lb power pro, seems like they could make the bobbin out of brass or something to avoid this.

Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    The key points are use mono in clip. If your Scotty clips yellow ends are bad. You can buy replacements at Sportco. Remember to click the clip into the heavy mode. No problems Friday in Westport. 300ft on cable, 8ft tide swing

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    The key points are use mono in clip. If your Scotty clips yellow ends are bad. You can buy replacements at Sportco. Remember to click the clip into the heavy mode. No problems Friday in Westport. 300ft on cable, 8ft tide swing
    Yep, run 40-50' of 30lb mono topshot. If it gets chaffed at the end cut it off. Mono acts as a small shock absorber, as well as a good clip point. If it starts to slip, replace the clip cushions or wipe them down as they may have "oily scent" or sunscreen, or any type of oil you may have on your fingers/hand (like chicken wings).

No fuss on tension screws, you can adjust the tension by placing them forward or rear of the clip line.... they are everywhere, so when you get very familiar with them you can buy them at any fishing place. It's a great option between simplicity/functionality/price. IMO

Upvote 0

seimdog

Jun 29, 2012
    Ellensburg/wa/usa
    Name
    SEIM DOG
    Boat
    Bayliner JACKALOPE
    I run the Cannons with my braid. They are totally adjustable and there is a slight learning curve. Fishing shallower 2 clicks, deep 3 or 4.
    I bought a couple of Pro Release but have not needed them yet even fishing at 300 feet with a flasher.

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    To me the downrigger release clip is an important part. A clip that releases to easy will keep you constantly bringing in your weight to reattach. A clip that’s release is to stiff can lead to lost fish or you having to break the clip yourself. IMO the standard Scotty clip is the easiest to operate and easiest to adjust to your desired release strength by moving your line further back or forward within the clamp. I have tried some of the others but those always end up as spares. Using medal line as some come rigged will only cut your hands. Even though the Scotty come properly rigged I often extend them to 24/36” with new 150/200 pound test line.

ACA716F9-7797-4F49-B6C8-8CAFEE2EF922.jpeg

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    Standard yellow padded scotty clips for the win! From trolling 500’ in the ocean for Kings to soft mouthed Sox in Baker Lk the same clip works flawlessly. About my only bitch is I wish they would do away with the light setting to keep from accidentally sending one down doomed for premature release. Even up at Baker, on the heavy position, placing line half the distance in as for saltwater King fishing is perfect. No light setting needed.

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    Standard yellow padded scotty clips for the win! From trolling 500’ in the ocean for Kings to soft mouthed Sox in Baker Lk the same clip works flawlessly. About my only bitch is I wish they would do away with the light setting to keep from accidentally sending one down doomed for premature release. Even up at Baker, on the heavy position, placing line half the distance in as for saltwater King fishing is perfect. No light setting needed.
    I got so frustrated with this that I tied a tightly cinched knot with some heavy line through the clip so it can't revert to the light setting. Seems to work fine.

Reactions: Wild Bill
    Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    I got so frustrated with this that I tied a tightly cinched knot with some heavy line through the clip so it can't revert to the light setting. Seems to work fine.
    I have also threatened to super glue in heavy position but so far I have not followed through.

Reactions: PSULion
    Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    I'm curious... tell me more about your setup for thresher fishing. Up here we pretty much only use downriggers for salmon fishing but I've often wondered if there was a practical application for albacore or other species.
    We are using tiara 50 wides with 80 -100# . Large jigs with a big mackerel on it with 600# wire leader . I'm using a 12lb ball with the roller clip I mentioned above. I redue the cable on the clip to extend it about 2' . Fish them from 75' to 150' pending bait we are metering . Largest we have caught is 500# . I will also use the same set up trolling for bluefin tuna just no jig only mackerel. I don't like the pinch clip due to chaffing in the line . The roller clips work well for me

Reactions: Elkfins
    Upvote 0