KaiChung

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
Which downrigger clips do you guys like? Mine always seems to pop prematurely. The Scotty clips only seem to last about 2 days for me. There's another brand that use that seems to last about 5 times.

Related to that, how do you guys drop your weights without too much scope in the line? A lot of times I seem to have a bunch of scope that I need to reel back in. But then it triggers the downrigger clip prematurely. Also, I get a fair amount of tangles with the lure catching the main line and making a twisted mess.

Thanks so much!

Reactions: Avery Gilleland
Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
I like the ratcheting adjustable rubber Jaw cannons but they take a few adjusents to get them dialed and also you have to know how many clicks and how far into the jaw to set it.

Imo theure the best but they always give new people on my boat trouble

Reactions: Baby J
Upvote 0

Salmon Hunter

Apr 29, 2010
West Richland WA
Name
Rick
Boat
19’ Northwest Jet
From the aspect of keeping the line in the clip, I agree with Captain Decent. From the ease of use standpoint, I like the Scotty clips (they have inexpensive replaceable rubber jaws). I have found that clipping into mono or flouro stays in much better than braid.

Upvote 0

bducky

• Jul 31, 2017
    elma
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    20 ft duckworth
    From the aspect of keeping the line in the clip, I agree with Captain Decent. From the ease of use standpoint, I like the Scotty clips (they have inexpensive replaceable rubber jaws). I have found that clipping into mono or flouro stays in much better than braid.
    Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with braid 'till I went with 50 ft. or so of mono top-shot, works well with scotty clips. I have used the cannon dial releases for braid but mainly for freshwater.

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    Use a top shot of mono if you are running braid. I have no problem with them staying in with Scotty clips and 40lb top shot. You obviously need more tension when letting them out but will need to figure out your premature release problem first.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Do you slide the tension clip on your Scotty's...mine last year's. Even dragging it in 200-300' fow...
    How do you tangle your lure in the main line? ..is your boat in gear when you set. Trying to figure out what you got going on....do you spread smelly jelly on your fingers then touch your line.

Upvote 0

MA9

Almost A Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Name
    BW
    Boat
    Boston Whaler
    Re: tangling: drop at a moderate speed. Only way I can see flasher/lure tangling with main line/cable is you are dropping your ball really fast.
    Re: scope: thumb your reel spool for some tension as you lower gear, so you don't have to reel a bunch of slack back.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    I've had a couple or more main line tangles but it's coming with the high speed Scotty 2106's when fishing deep. I'm hard headed and use a knuckle buster which can't keep up the rigger when hauling. If you don't stop the rigger, catch up reeling and then haul again you'll have a chance of snagging the lure/flasher as the main line goes by from sagging back. Fishing deep "for me" is a pain in the ass with a knucklebuster but I'm too hard headed to change.

For a few years I've been using these for a clip. https://www.bigctackle.com/index.html. They work well but kind of a pain also till you get used to them. A bit awkward to wrap the line on the spindle. I might have to try the Off shore tackle ones as they look easier.

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    I use the aftco roller clips. Not sure how they will work with the lighter line you guys use but they work great down hear in san diego .

Screenshot_20210722-185418_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Cannon “offshore” clips, the red ones. They have two springs (black ones have one). These hold a ton of pressure, place it 2/3 back.

Another trick is to score the pads for thin braids.

Have tried scotty clips, gave them away. Found other brands to be a bit larger and have a little more blowback.

Tangles, on other lines or the own line…. With other lines, don’t drop while turning, make sure things are straight back. Own line, dropping too fast. —- For keeping the tension in the line; try dropping and using the reel drag. Just put the rod in the holder and loosen the drag as needed to keep a nice bow and tension.

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    Joy soap with a paper towel works great on the Scotty clips. Peel the yellow part off and wash them. Use the hard setting, be consistent with top shot (line diameter). The clips get a memory so if you use 30# keep it always 30. I use 50#. If someone uses the clip with 30 afterwards the clip will not hold.

Upvote 0

easydoesit86

nubbie
    Apr 6, 2008
    lacey wa usa
    Name
    maarten
    Boat
    22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
    With the Scotty ones I found after using em for an hour or two they quit holding good. But on the next trip they work good again.

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    I use the aftco roller clips. Not sure how they will work with the lighter line you guys use but they work great down hear in san diego .

View attachment 1301609
    These would never work with a rotational flasher behind a downrigger ball. No way to consistently set the distance between the clip and the flasher and on the drop, you'd inevitably pull the flasher into the clip. They are great for topwater trolling to keep the corner lines low however.

Upvote 0