Best day yet!

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
On Sunday, we went out to try our luck for the Ahi that have been biting on the westside. We left Campbell boat harbor at 5:30am and headed out to the 1000 where I heard boats were picking up Ahi. We ran from Kahe to the Pocket to the pinnacle, but nothing!! People told me the bite was very early and if you don't get a bite before 8am, then most likely you not going to catch, so I ran out to the Dog Mouth where the week before I got some Otaru. Found nothing there, but did get a nice size Mahi. Then we had to make the call - should we run in and try for some Ono or continue to chase the dream?

I decided to chase the Dream! Not even 10 minutes after this discussion, at 9:45am, the center rigger came slamming down and finally!!! A screaming reel! I haven't caught anything since October that could pull drag on my 130's! I kept watching for the marlin jumping... still no jumping marlin... could it be?? Yes!! Ahi!! We fight this Ahi for about 15 minutes and get it in the boat! High fives all around and the Monkey off our backs!

After taking care of the fish, we start trolling again and heading for the barn. As we were heading in at 10:45am, I see this bullshit bird fluttering around and decide to make a pass because its supposed to be Mahi season. As we passed the bird, the port rigger slams down and I yell, "Mahi!!" Then the drag start peeling out!! Ahi?? Yes Sir!! our second Ahi of the day! Cheehoo! While fighting the second fish, I still kept an eye on the bullshit bird. We land the second Ahi, and I told the guys to let the outriggers out while they G&G the fish. After they were done, I told them to hold on because I'm chasing the bullshit bird again!

Sure enough!! Ka-Pow!! The starboard rigger takes off and we landed our third Ahi! The crew is tired and I still see the Bullshit bird off in the distance, but we don't have enough ice, crew is worked, and the dream became reality this time! Never did we have a catch like this and we were just stoked. Left the bullshit bird with the rest of his ahi and headed in.

What a way to start the Ahi season! Big props to the crew - Dell, Lakela, and Mark! Couldn't have done it without you guys! The next day we had a fish cutting party and shared our catch with our family and friends.

IMG_0184.jpg IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0205.jpg

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Hij and crew, Definitely congratulations are in order!! What an epic day on the water for you and your crew! Dreams do come true and days like the one you just had motivates us to keep chasing more dreams! I get back from my meeting in Denver late Thursday night and I am going to chase my dream on Saturday. Nice start to your 2016 summer ahi season!

Reactions: Hij

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Awesome day. I was supposed to be chasing them first week of June, but that got cancelled :(.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Jason, Dell, Lakela and Mark,
Awesome, glad you guys stayed w/ the plan and scored big time. Way to go!!!!

Cheers
Pat

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
What a day, I'd be happy with just one of them. Always tease my friend about those birds and tell him his favorite birds are around. Guess better not say that and should start taking them more seriously.

Reactions: JimmyK and Hij

jkvshooter

Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
Way to get your season started! Hopefully many more to come!

Aloha,
Justin

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Jason, Dell, Lakela and Mark,
Awesome, glad you guys stayed w/ the plan and scored big time. Way to go!!!!

Cheers
Pat
Thanks Pat! You must be busy working or you'd be out there too! Thanks for being the life line of this site!

Reactions: Puravida16

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
What a day, I'd be happy with just one of them. Always tease my friend about those birds and tell him his favorite birds are around. Guess better not say that and should start taking them more seriously.
Thanks Steven! I guess one out of a hundred times those birds produce! Haha!

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Hij and crew, Definitely congratulations are in order!! What an epic day on the water for you and your crew! Dreams do come true and days like the one you just had motivates us to keep chasing more dreams! I get back from my meeting in Denver late Thursday night and I am going to chase my dream on Saturday. Nice start to your 2016 summer ahi season!
Thanks Russell! Good luck tomorrow. They still biting good! My friend got one right out of the harbor!! Launched at 7am and had the fish in the boat at 8am! 179lb G&G!!

Reactions: meebo
Aug 31, 2010
Kapolei
Congrats on an awesome day! Mahalo for the jump start that afternoon! I thought you looked familiar. You used to be on the Aquahunters forum right? I guess we both upgraded from kayaks but my boat is about 10 times smaller! Haha!

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
On Sunday, we went out to try our luck for the Ahi that have been biting on the westside. We left Campbell boat harbor at 5:30am and headed out to the 1000 where I heard boats were picking up Ahi. We ran from Kahe to the Pocket to the pinnacle, but nothing!! People told me the bite was very early and if you don't get a bite before 8am, then most likely you not going to catch, so I ran out to the Dog Mouth where the week before I got some Otaru. Found nothing there, but did get a nice size Mahi. Then we had to make the call - should we run in and try for some Ono or continue to chase the dream?

I decided to chase the Dream! Not even 10 minutes after this discussion, at 9:45am, the center rigger came slamming down and finally!!! A screaming reel! I haven't caught anything since October that could pull drag on my 130's! I kept watching for the marlin jumping... still no jumping marlin... could it be?? Yes!! Ahi!! We fight this Ahi for about 15 minutes and get it in the boat! High fives all around and the Monkey off our backs!

After taking care of the fish, we start trolling again and heading for the barn. As we were heading in at 10:45am, I see this bullshit bird fluttering around and decide to make a pass because its supposed to be Mahi season. As we passed the bird, the port rigger slams down and I yell, "Mahi!!" Then the drag start peeling out!! Ahi?? Yes Sir!! our second Ahi of the day! Cheehoo! While fighting the second fish, I still kept an eye on the bullshit bird. We land the second Ahi, and I told the guys to let the outriggers out while they G&G the fish. After they were done, I told them to hold on because I'm chasing the bullshit bird again!

Sure enough!! Ka-Pow!! The starboard rigger takes off and we landed our third Ahi! The crew is tired and I still see the Bullshit bird off in the distance, but we don't have enough ice, crew is worked, and the dream became reality this time! Never did we have a catch like this and we were just stoked. Left the bullshit bird with the rest of his ahi and headed in.

What a way to start the Ahi season! Big props to the crew - Dell, Lakela, and Mark! Couldn't have done it without you guys! The next day we had a fish cutting party and shared our catch with our family and friends.

View attachment 764765 View attachment 764766 View attachment 764767 View attachment 764768
Good going Jason and crew!

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife

View attachment 764765 View attachment 764766 View attachment 764767 View attachment 764768
Awesome Job Captain!! Way to go!!!