Best Day from Work, EVER! Yellowtail on San Diego

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
I'll keep this rather short as Im pretty tired from today's awesome fishing.

SO, yesturday I walk into my bosses office and before I can say anything, he asks "Captain S, why do you have this crazed look in your eye?" I proceeded to explain that Ive been desperately fishing all year and havnt caught anything good, and that I didnt have anything big to do the next day, and so I was requesting to take the day off and go fishing (as I got some gouge that the American Angler had done well at the Coronados). I got the OK from the Commanding Officer a few minutes later. Man, some days I love the Corps!

Loaded the truck and slept at my buddies place and off we went to Seaforth. We got on the San Diego and went to the Coronados and anchored up. The chum started, and The yellows started boiling off the corners: "OHHH! Look at the Boils, OHHH! Off the corner! Fresh bait guys,, Fresh Baits, OHHH another boil! HOOOOOOOK UUUUUP! THeres a BITER!!!! OHHHH Dart's ON, OHHHH theres another biter!"

I stood there holding a limp line as 15 hook ups happen all around me. Snake bit is NOT how I want to start.

TIming was everything, the soak wasnt working as the fish wanted thier baits hot and bothered. After 35 minutes of agonizing fish envy, I threw a big horse sardine and watched my line go from running like crazy to stright slack...."what the..." WIND!WIND!WIND!Yeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahgggggggh! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :rofl:

Game ON! My newell 220 and taramar 9 ft strained under the fish and Ryan (the skipper) proceeded to chide me about my calico special. I felt only slightly undergunned as I started pumping hard and using the rail.

The yellow burned and dived, Over and Under other anglers as 1 out of the 30 or so passengers was hooking up every 5-10 minutes.

10 minutes later, I get my First Yellow of the year!

The fish bite for 7 stright hours, we hung 2-3 most of the time all day. The guys fishing the plug off the bow we killing them good too. I put down the bait rod and started swinging at boils. 30 minutes and only on follower, I decide I reaaaaaaly need to take a leak. I put the rod down and "OHHHH! BOILS off the BOW!" I grab the rod, SPRINT to the bow, CAAAAAAASSSST!

Crank-crank-crank-YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARRRRRRRRRGH! A yellow comes stright up from behind and ENHALES the jig! 10 minutes later, number 2 hits the deck!

raynman

Aug 5, 2006
oc
Name
ray
Boat
still looking
Damm nice. Would you say more on flyline or surface iron.
Did you have any weight on the flyline? Thanks

REELKING

Aug 22, 2009
Name
MR.CHIN
Boat
THE MIGHTY VICTORY
im super glad to hear that..SAN DIEGO great boat and crew..congrats on ur catch

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Ok, part 2: THe day went on, and we were getting our asses kicked. I've caught plenty of yellows over my life time, but these fish were stronger than usual. LOTS of guys were getting rocked. I hooked one fish I could not stop, he went stright down, and the next thing I know BAM! Gone. I would up a frayed line.

Flourocarbon was the key to getting bit, fish anything heavier than 30, they wouldnt touch it, anything under 20, you were getting rocked (and even then, you were getting rocked). We had Blake from the Royal Star, Carl from Fishermans Landing Tackle Shop and another deck hand from the American Angler on the trip. They swung irons and got 3-5 fish per rod, with lots of hook pulls.

Guys who knew what they were doing with bait got limits or darn near. I ended up with 2 more ass kickers (and I mean it, they worked me on my little newell 220, but DAMN it was fun!) for a total of 4. The fish were excellent grade, avg 20-25lbs, with some stand outs at 28-31lbs (best guest). My biggest was 27lbs.

Of note, only Ryan, the cook and Renee worked the deck, with Lenny (??) working the tank and those guys kept control the entire time. I dont think we lost one to a tangle, which is testemate to them as they were lots of inexperienced anglers today.

Thanks to them for an AWESOME trip. Some more pics:

TheFerret

Spaceball
Jun 29, 2007
Oxnard, CA
Name
Jaredd
Boat
none
:finger:

I sat at my desk all day hearing about it. Nice job, asshole.:drool:

dkd711

Skunk Master...
Jun 7, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Duke
Boat
"WFO SKUNK"
thanks for posting can't wait till Thursday

Thurs kinda sketch with the wind No? I'm stuck working all week. I'm rooting for you all!

Thu...Wind W 10 to 15 kt. Gusts to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W 2 to 3 ft and S 2 ft.

72fishn

Jan 2, 2008
carlsbad
Name
Jerome
Boat
still wishing
Great to hear the San Diego put you guys on the fish again. Great crew, thanks for sharing...

Oingo

Seasoned veteran
Sep 13, 2005
Name
rw
Boat
Nice jello's!!!!!

spike

Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
Congrats on the 1st local YT slayfest, wish I was aboard.

Cheney

SkateAndDestroy
Jun 10, 2010
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Cheney
Boat
none
you couldn't have picked a better day to take off! Great read, and you guys slayed em. Nice job

gerk

The GERK!
Nov 18, 2003
So. Bay
Name
Steve
Boat
Green Submarine
Congrats - Now it's time to loose that 220 and get a reel with some drag... It would definitely increase you chances.... Enjoy the filets....
The GERK :jig: