Best Day Ever...

PENN

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Excellent report! I started my son very early too.

Dave Hansen is spot-on. It is too easy to be critical and spoil the time, always make it about them, you can fish another day.

I have a nice vest my son outgrew years ago and you are welcome to it. I live close to the Sunset Aquatic ramp.

Get him a floppy hat too!

View attachment 1125053

Thank you Tuner!! Great advice and thank you for the life jacket offer. So true about the hat and what others have recommended. Hell of a nice Sandy you have there with you boy. :jig:

Reactions: tuner
    Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

• Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Congratulations on the new skiff SaltH20Angler. Have your son name her now,. Every boat deserves a name. Took me 20 years before I named my first.

Who I used twice . . .

I can't wait to see the future reports with you and your son. Good job dad!

I followed your advice and asked him what we should call our boat. He said "Boat" and kinda scoffed as to think I was an idiot for not knowing what to call or name our skiff.

I'm gonna get some stickers/ decals made, just need to decide if I call her "The Bot" with a line over the "o" or if I name her "Tommy's Tin Can". I like the second one.

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

• Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Loved you're story , I was the same way with my Daughters who are now 27 and 32 years old , I still have pictures in my office when my Daughter's were young catching spotties and then gradually learning how to fish for Marlin , Tuna , Dorado and their now Favorite Halibut , it's memories forever, you're a Great dad and teacher as was you're Dad , Congrats

Mike, your kind words are appreciated. Looks like April's trip to Ejido Erendira is a no go. Now we are optimistally shooting for July the week starting on july 3rd. Still wanting to connect with you out there. Tight lines!

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Spot on ... Started my boys at 18 months being on the boat. We played in the bait tank and had fun.

At 2 we started fishing for Macs and looking for dolphins

At 4 we learned to cast in the back yard and got into calico fishing. We only calico fished when I knew it would be wide open 100 fish days.

That slow progression makes all the difference.

They are 8 now.

We halibut fish, we go to the island for yellowtail, they even did their first tuna trip last year.

The best part of taking your young kids fishing. You enjoy fishing for mackerel or short calicos again. You remember the joy catching any fish used to bring you.

Thanks for the story!

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Mike, your kind words are appreciated. Looks like April's trip to Ejido Erendira is a no go. Now we are optimistally shooting for July the week starting on july 3rd. Still wanting to connect with you out there. Tight lines!
    sounds great july is a great time of year

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 17, 2010
    Whittier California
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Very cool Pops,that was a great read,cute kid you got there,the part of your story about your daughter is exactly what I went through with my son.
    Took him fishing the first time when he was 3yrs old,he fished with me till he was about15-17,biggest fish 12lb yellowtail.
    On one of our last trips he told me he never really liked fishing,and that was one of the last times we fished together,bummer.
    Congrats on getting your son hooked,I see new skiffs in your future,I owned over A dozen in my life. My first was a 12’ aluminum.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Enjoy every minute of life with your son and family. Same thing with my son. Now he's bigger than me and out fishes me most of the time. Pretty soon your boy will be catching things like this:

DSCN1525.JPG

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

• Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Enjoy every minute of life with your son and family. Same thing with my son. Now he's bigger than me and out fishes me most of the time. Pretty soon your boy will be catching things like this:

View attachment 1128266

I remember reading the report you posted when your son (Sean, i think) caught that slug of a YT at catalina. You got somethin special there Mike.

Thoroughly enjoy reading your two'-day reports from the island. You guys are past due for another big fish...or 5, lookin forward to your next report.

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

• Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    We went out again yesterday (05/02), had a great time. With all of the time we have on our hands, I thought I'd give you guys something to read. I know this forum is about fish reports, so I'll tell you right now, we didn't catch any fish.

I should probably start off by telling you that I pulled a bonehead move after the maiden voyage on my new to me 12' aluminum skiff. I was embarrassed to post about it but I know I like to learn from other people’s mistakes (especially fishing related) so here it goes…

After having “The Best Day Ever” on March 22, we got the skiff home and started washing her down. This little 6hp Nissan 4-stroke has a water intake in a weird place so ear muffs wont work to flush the motor. Instead, I had to find a bucket-like container to put the prop and lower end in to flush the salt water. Well I was just a couple of inches short of covering the intake, so I found a brick and put it under the bucket to raise it up some. For some reason, when I put the brick under the prop, I didn’t pay attention because I failed to see the prop was touching the bottom of the bucket. So, when I put the motor in gear… the prop put a hole in the bucket and shaved off a bit of each (3) blades of the prop. I know better and was not happy that I did something so stupid. I wrote it off, went online and ordered a new prop. I am fortunate that I learned this lesson on a cheaper prop. The prop is not damaged too badly, so at least I have a back-up prop now.

Me and my family have still been self-isolating since the first trip out, and it was actually my wife who said we should take the skiff out this past Saturday. I was putting off replacing the prop because I have been doing a lot of home improvements ever since laying low from COVID-19. I got off from work on Friday and went into the garage to replace the prop. I looked at several videos on Youtube and this could not be an easier job.

Everything was going good until I pulled off the prop which is when I found a rat’s nest of mono wrapped around the shaft. Dang, that was not expected, but no big deal, right? Just pull off the mono I thought and most of it came right off with ease. After getting most of the mono out, I still had about 10 or so wraps that would not come off and they were deep behind what I though was the lower seal. There was this lipped metal part (I thought was the seal) that the mono was behind. I finessed and finessed those last 10 lines of mono and they would not unwrap.

20200501_155624.jpg

20200501_155634.jpg

I tried to take that part off gently and it didn’t come off, so back to Youtube to watch a couple of more videos then back to the prop to apply what I learned. As I tried to pull off the lipped part, I started worrying that this was the part that everyone on Youtube was saying, “make sure you don’t scratch this part because if you do , your new seal won’t actually seal and water/oil will get in/out”. Now remember this is my first outboard motor, so I literally know nothing other than what I can research online.

I knew I couldn’t leave the mono there. If the mono didn’t already damage the seal, what I was doing to remove the mono could have put more wraps on and if I don’t take care of this the right way, I could make it worse. I also learned that you need a special (expensive) tool to pull the seal which made me feel uneasy about trying to fix this myself.

I thought.. great, this is going to cost me a couple of hundred bucks (if I’m lucky) to have a mechanic fix this. So no fishing Saturday, and now I have an unexpected expense I need to save up for before I take it in to the shop. I am a pretty happy go lucky guy most of the time, but this put me in a funk on Friday evening. So much so that my 3 year-old son used the word “frustrated” for the first time. “Dad, are you frustrated?” I admitted I was frustrated and told him why. He made sure I knew that it was not him who “broke” the motor by telling me multiple times.

Saturday morning, I got up early and decided it was time for me to start researching my motor more. Essentially, I was looking for information that I could read to help me learn how to maintain my motor and parts I needed to purchase to make repairs. I was able to download a parts manual for free, found some helpful sites, located a service manual (not free), and a couple of websites where you can chat with a live person (Monday-Friday). When I actually took 2 minutes to read the parts manual, I saw that what I thought was the seal was just a prop thrust washer that should come off easily. Off to the garage and within 10 seconds, I had the prop thrush washer off and the last of the mono removed. I was so freaking happy. 2 minutes later, I had the new prop on and she was ready to go.

My wife was there with me when I put the prop on and said, “should I get us ready to go to Long Beach?” and I replied yes. I told her that I was going to meet up with Wally (Pacificscout) to get some life jackets he offered me for free. My wife said she thinks we have life jackets in a bag in the garage rafters. I was certain, we got rid of those years ago but got up into the rafter to be certain. Score!! She was right, I had a bag of ski type life jackets up there and they still fit all of us. OK, mine must have shrunk just a bit over the last few years (LOL), but everyone else’s fit perfect. An hour or so later we are driving to Davies Launch in LB.

We get there and its pretty busy. I stage up before we get to the ramp and feel that I am starting to get a routine, because it was much quicker this time. Find an open spot and back the trailer/boat down. No stress or anxiety this time as we launched within 5 minutes and my wife parked the 4Runner. Few minutes later, she and my son are walking down the dock ramp and we are off on another adventure. Sun was out, wind was up just a hair, and everything was running nice. It was so nice to be out of the house, on the water, and on my own little skiff.

I brought a little cheapo rod for my son to fish with, and my bass set-up (never even used it) as well as a couple of grubs/scampis/swimbaits, a small krockodile spoon, and a couple of rapala type bass jigs to troll along the rocks. First thing I noticed was that most of the water was really really red (red-tide). There were some areas of greener water here and there, but it was so red/brown in some places that it looked like a dirty ol’e river. I let me son hold the rod while we explored different areas of the harbor. We trolled and trolled with not one bite. Cool thing was I could see that my boy is starting to think like a fisherman. He wanted me to re-tie on a different lure every 5 minutes or so, which I did to his satisfaction. I do the same thing when I am on a tuff bite. He is learning well.

It was nice to see so many people out boating, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, or just hanging on their boats in the slip. Lots and lots of waves and hellos from people you could see were happy to be on the water like us. We spent a little more than 2 hours out there, found a spot at the peninsula where it seems you can pull your boat on the sand to let the kids swim. Once it is a little hotter, we plan to check that out so my son can play in the water while mom and dad lounge on the sand. Brought the Bluetooth speaker and listened to my wife’s favorite music and has another best day ever.

Got the boat back to the dock, tied her up and we all walked to the car. Met a cool guy on the dock who was fishing what I think was a Bayrunner and he recognized my son from my first post on 03/22. I wish I would of asked him his BD name, so I could put a face with a BD brother and he said he was looking forward to reading my post. Let me know who you are if you read this.

On the way home, we stopped at our favorite taco truck (Tacos Manual – in Santa Ana – off 17th street) and picked up some tacos. What a treat!!! We haven’t been eating outside food since around March 15, so those carnitas and carne asada tacos were such a treat. Next time you are near the 22 and 55 intersection and are hungry, you should check them out. The tacos are busting at the seams, are only $1 each (I think), and come with grilled onions. I think they got voted best tacos in O.C. or something like that, and I see why.

We ate the tacos on the ride home. Got home, cleaned the boat up, squirted the little guy with the water hose as I washed down the skiff, and didn’t jack up the prop this time. This little boat has been such a great thing in our lives so far and I am so fortunate and appreciative that someone decided to let it go at an incredible price that made it possible for me. My son told me at least 10 times yesterday that he loves me and that he had a great day. He even told me that I was a “great human being” that night which was a new phrase he must have picked up recently. I hope you enjoyed this read as much as I enjoyed writing it. Take care guys and get on the water if you can.

Resized_20200502_185509_2 (1).jpg

20200502_1856491.jpg

Resized_20200502_124703_9660.jpg

Resized_20200502_124335_4486.jpg

Resized_20200502_124605_2560.jpg

20200502_135012_resized.jpg
    Resized_20200502_142521_897.jpg

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    No need to put motor in gear while flushing. But glad to hear you're back up and running. Guess it was a blessing in disguise as then you found all that mono which would have eventually caused a bigger issue.

Reactions: SaltH20Angler
    Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Hey SH2OA, That was me at the dock with the bayrunner. Should have throne down a COVID elbow bump my bad. I really enjoy your reports with fish or without. Always great to get on the water with the family no matter how red it is. Looking forward to a summer full of great fishing reports.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

• Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    No need to put motor in gear while flushing. But glad to hear you're back up and running. Guess it was a blessing in disguise as then you found all that mono which would have eventually caused a bigger issue.

Thanks Glenn, I wasnt certain because I've seen guys do it both ways. My stunted brain started to put one and one together when 1/3rd of the water in the trash can shot out the last time I did that.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

• Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Hey SH2OA, That was me at the dock with the bayrunner. Should have throne down a COVID elbow bump my bad. I really enjoy your reports with fish or without. Always great to get on the water with the family no matter how red it is. Looking forward to a summer full of great fishing reports.

Hell yeah bro! Good to meet you again here. Nice chatting with you. Thanks for all the kind words. See you on the water.

Reactions: watersdeep
    Upvote 0

FishinArmo

Apr 5, 2006
    Northridge CA
    Name
    Avo Oughourlian
    Boat
    DOS XX
    Awesome story my daughter is 5 now and my son 3 and i have taken them to the lake to fish bass many times, will look to take them to the bay this summer. One advise ill give is some water toys and plenty I mean plenty of snacks. Also when i see them getting bored ill move let them pretend to drive the boat. nothing beats spending time on the water wirh the little ones and seeing them enjoying what we love.

Reactions: SaltH20Angler
    Upvote 0