PHISHINFUL

Wishin' I was fishin'
Jun 7, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA.
Name
CHRIS
Boat
SOLD IT
Wife went out of town for the weekend so Friday afternoon I looked at my boys with that grin that they know so well.....they said they'll get the gear out while get the cooler ready. It's nice to be on the same page with your fishin buddies!!!
Left DP at 5:30 after sitting in the bait line for an hour and headed for the Mackeral bank via the 277. We passed a couple of dozen paddys on the way but after trying the first 5 or 6 with nada to show,,,,we pushed on. About 5 miles short of the 277 Blake (14 yr old son) spots a string of 5 nice paddys all in a line about 300 yds long. He hooks up and the hook pulls, then Bryce (12 yr old son) hooks up. Rat YT comes to the boat and he farms it as he tries to bounce it (I laughed at him!). We played with the rats for about half hour or so and left 9 in the cooler...they'll be good in the smoker tomorrow. We got to the 277, a few boats spread out but not much going on. Wind was coming up so we changed the plan and decided to go see what the party near the 152 was all about. Many boats were leaving just as we arrived, I guess they don't like party crashers, but I guess there was a good YFT bite earlier. Wind chop was getting worse so we decided to paddy hop our way home. 20 miles from DP I decided to take a break and clean and bag the YT. I was just finishing when I looked up and there's a huge paddy about the size of 2 garage doors...we drifted right to it.......lucky! We put lines out and I slow trolled towards it, we get about 500 feet out and zzzzzzz....fish on! It was my rod so I jumped down and grabbed it.......10 lb YFT on deck. lines out...move 100 feet....fish on !!! Blake fights a 15 lb bull dodo for 10 minutes ( he was afraid to pull too hard, didn't want to break off). Lines out..move back to the paddy and within 500 feet Bryce gets picked up......20 lb YFT (his first!!), lines out again and Bryce gets picked up by a 7 lb dodo. While he was fighting and watching the air show with that Blake was pulling in 1 more YT. After that it slowed a bit and we trolled laps around it for a long time until the Dana Pride came and parked right in our path. I didn't want to be "that guy" so i told the boys it was time to let some other people have some fun and we headed for the barn. Great day for me with my boys.
20140913_131935.jpg

Blakes DODO

20140913_133847.jpg

Bryces' YFT

I've had better days as far as the catching was concerned but this trip had my boys on it!!

Upvote 0

Bobcatt300

Work...., is for people who don't fish....!
Jul 13, 2013
Silverado
Name
Rick
Boat
32' custom sport fisher "Adios". 24' sea pro "Buck Naked"
fishing is great...... fishing with the kids.... priceless!!!!! good job guys.
How was the bait at Dana Today?

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Saweet. . . . That is forever stuff!!!

Great report and pics of the boys!!!

Upvote 0

Deep_blue

Cristy J
Sep 5, 2004
Poway/CA/USA
Name
Robert Jones
Boat
Grady White 282 Sailfish
Awesome day.
Odd fact.. My 2 boys are Blake and Bryce, 7 & 5yo Hopefully We'll be sharing the offshore banks like you and your boys. Wtg!

Upvote 0

Innocent Bystaner

Innocent Bystander
Nov 5, 2006
Poway, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
Innocent Bystander 2901 Seaswirl
Cool. When mom's away the boy's will play. Your boys will never forget these good times with their dad.. I never will even though my dad passed away a few years ago. Take all the photos and videos you can so the boys will share them with you when you're in "the home".

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Great job being a dad and Capt...

Upvote 0

ScottFloe

scooter
Aug 20, 2014
Name
Scott Floe
Boat
None
Taking my 9 year old son Lucas out Friday to fish. We can hardly sleep at night we're so excited!

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
You gotta like that! Congrats

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Wife went out of town for the weekend so Friday afternoon I looked at my boys with that grin that they know so well.....they said they'll get the gear out while get the cooler ready. It's nice to be on the same page with your fishin buddies!!!
Left DP at 5:30 after sitting in the bait line for an hour and headed for the Mackeral bank via the 277. We passed a couple of dozen paddys on the way but after trying the first 5 or 6 with nada to show,,,,we pushed on. About 5 miles short of the 277 Blake (14 yr old son) spots a string of 5 nice paddys all in a line about 300 yds long. He hooks up and the hook pulls, then Bryce (12 yr old son) hooks up. Rat YT comes to the boat and he farms it as he tries to bounce it (I laughed at him!). We played with the rats for about half hour or so and left 9 in the cooler...they'll be good in the smoker tomorrow. We got to the 277, a few boats spread out but not much going on. Wind was coming up so we changed the plan and decided to go see what the party near the 152 was all about. Many boats were leaving just as we arrived, I guess they don't like party crashers, but I guess there was a good YFT bite earlier. Wind chop was getting worse so we decided to paddy hop our way home. 20 miles from DP I decided to take a break and clean and bag the YT. I was just finishing when I looked up and there's a huge paddy about the size of 2 garage doors...we drifted right to it.......lucky! We put lines out and I slow trolled towards it, we get about 500 feet out and zzzzzzz....fish on! It was my rod so I jumped down and grabbed it.......10 lb YFT on deck. lines out...move 100 feet....fish on !!! Blake fights a 15 lb bull dodo for 10 minutes ( he was afraid to pull too hard, didn't want to break off). Lines out..move back to the paddy and within 500 feet Bryce gets picked up......20 lb YFT (his first!!), lines out again and Bryce gets picked up by a 7 lb dodo. While he was fighting and watching the air show with that Blake was pulling in 1 more YT. After that it slowed a bit and we trolled laps around it for a long time until the Dana Pride came and parked right in our path. I didn't want to be "that guy" so i told the boys it was time to let some other people have some fun and we headed for the barn. Great day for me with my boys.
View attachment 543837
Blakes DODO

View attachment 543838

Bryces' YFT

I've had better days as far as the catching was concerned but this trip had my boys on it!!

Awesome!!! Great report. So cool seeing other dads out there. we where the boat in the 152 area my son Gavin 5 was holding his rod against the rail on a ten # yft. We caught 6 out there but every time they went to biting another boat flew in. We moved right after you. Was choppy. We did not have the luck you did. We saw the Helrna on a kelp with bent rods. But we find our own.

Upvote 0