best connection for mono to fluoro with 80-100# test???

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat Name
Fond Memory
Just use straight mono or fluoro. I am not aware of a good use case for fishing fluoro leader with mono topshot in 80-100.
Real potential for a popcorn thread here😉. Been thinking about this myself, do I really need fluorocarbon fishing 80-100, especially at night? Tougher, yes, more abrasion resistant, okay, but is it worth the potential failure of the connection? Bring on those infamous BD opinions boys 😆

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat Name
Excel
For #80 and up...connect fluoro or mono to your spectra via a serve or use a wind-on if running hollow or an FG knot if solid.

I do have some lighter set ups with mono topshots and yes, I'll use a 4 turn surgeon knot if I want to add a bit of fluoro.

Reactions: socal53
Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat Name
none
I assume your using this for live bait? Otherwise I don't see the need for a flouro leader on 80 and up. In general I have used a 3 turn Surgeon and had no problems.

Reactions: ChicoBob
Upvote 0

Kenchisan

May 20, 2009
Thousand Oaks
Name
ken
Boat Name
I found out the hard way about boats
The smallest knot I could get wiht heavy mono to fluoro was a 3 turn seaguar. I dont know what the strength was but I attached it to a hook ring,buttoned down the drag and locked the spool with my hand and pulled like crazy; it held.So I'm going with that.The surgeons was more bulky surprisingly.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat Name
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’m almost always fishing either straight monofilament for trolling or FlatFall (with heavy bite leader) or straight fluorocarbon for flylining or sinker fishing.

I’ll use the short piece of fluoro for 25 and 30 lb. with either 3-4 turn Surgeons knot or the back to back Uni knots.

Reactions: fishin_kid

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat Name
Fond Memory
The issue I had with long fluoro leaders is the memory, a few weeks back I tried splicing 30' of 60# fluoro to 100# HC braid with no mono topshot, it was a disaster. Poor little sardine couldn't even begin to straighten out all those loops laying on top of the water. Wrong fluorocarbon? It was probably Yo Zuri pink but I have so many I can't be sure.

Sailing La Reina
Sailing La Reina
Did you try stretching out your fluoro before tying it on? It usually gets rid of the curls. I usually tie a perfection loop on one end and run it through a pad eye or anything else that I can find and pull on it pretty hard for about 8-10 seconds. After that, it looks like a completely different line.
Upvote 0
Bill W
Bill W
The wicked tuna guys stretch the leaders out on the boat before fishing them.
Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat Name
    Red Rooster
    I know some really productive fishermen do the 3 turn surgeon with that size line. Keep the length outside your guides. I usually run either mono or fluorocarbon but that is because less connections the better but cannot argue with success. Maybe the short break interrupts the light transfer. Tuna have very keen eyesight for polarized light.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I got another downvote by this guy 998R, a guy who hides his identity, can’t view his profile, can’t send him a message.

Does anybody know this guy? I’m sick of it.
    Apparently he enjoys fucking with me...

Ddowdy
    Ddowdy
    While I haven't been around for a decade, I'm already picturing an Allcoast 3.0 showing up due to the rating system and overall forum setup. This site has seemed to turn into allcoast v1.1. AKA I wouldn't take offense to what you have offered.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    I got another downvote by this guy 998R, a guy who hides his identity, can’t view his profile, can’t send him a message.

You have a stalker Steve, you lucky guy. I had one but he finally chilled out.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    I switched to the Tony Pena knot about two years ago and so far I like the results. The main benefit is that when done properly it has a smaller profile and with the knot in the back it does not get caught up on guides.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I switched to the Tony Pena knot about two years ago and so far I like the results. The main benefit is that when done properly it has a smaller profile and with the knot in the back it does not get caught up on guides.
    Anyone used the rp knot for the larger stuff?
    The OP was asking about fluoro to mono connections.

Reactions: Kenchisan
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)

Steve,

Relax and breath through your nose. It could be a long fight. :-)

Upvote 0

greatbasin

• Jun 22, 2007
    Idaho
    Name
    Greg
    Boat Name
    Knot Yet
    The issue I had with long fluoro leaders is the memory, a few weeks back I tried splicing 30' of 60# fluoro to 100# HC braid with no mono topshot, it was a disaster. Poor little sardine couldn't even begin to straighten out all those loops laying on top of the water. Wrong fluorocarbon? It was probably Yo Zuri pink but I have so many I can't be sure.
    I generally use a length of floro that stays outside my guides and I also stretch my topshot, both mono and floro. Ideally I'd say get a bigger sardine 😂

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    I and many have used the tried and proven SEAGUER KNOT
    for many years. Never failed me. FYI. GL Here's how to tie it.
    SegauerKnot.jpg

Upvote 0

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
    Whittier
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat Name
    Red Rooster 111
    I only do 8 day trips now and havent used or needed flouro in years. I always bring what I need, 20-100lb but it only goes for a boat ride.

Jerry

Upvote 0