Dexter Outdoors

HotFlash II

Jul 13, 2016
Sunnyvale
Name
Gene McKenna
Boat
HotFlash II
I have been using a Avet HX for the last couple years on my Seeker 8' cork casting rod. It works good ,but i am thinking its a little big for the rod. looking for a 2 speed thats a little smaller for 50# line but will still be able to have a high retrieve for wahoo fishing. What do you all think would be a good reel to try out on this rod?
TIA
gene

Upvote 0

HBtuna

Jan 26, 2014
Name
Alan Hermer
Boat
Excel
I have been using a Avet HX for the last couple years on my Seeker 8' cork casting rod. It works good ,but i am thinking its a little big for the rod. looking for a 2 speed thats a little smaller for 50# line but will still be able to have a high retrieve for wahoo fishing. What do you all think would be a good reel to try out on this rod?
TIA
gene
JX Raptor.

Upvote 0

HotFlash II

Jul 13, 2016
Sunnyvale
Name
Gene McKenna
Boat
HotFlash II
thanks all for the suggestions. time to look at these online do some research and see what one it comes down too and that i can get by friday.

thanks

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Just wondering why you want a 2-speed for a 50lb bait stick? If you want it to cast a star drag is going to out perform all of the lever drag 2-speed options. I understand the just in case scenario. You really don't need it for wahoo

I have long fingers so I use a Torque 25. Sits low on the rod and has a 6-1 ratio and plenty of drag for 50lb. The Torque 25n is another great option, you can get the 2speed lever drag version of either as well. The Trinidad 20 is a great star drag reel San well that casts a mile

Upvote 0

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    What about finding a good used Newell 338 or 533 or something like that -- they are frequently on E-bay, and I have noticed such gems on crew sticks. I noticed there is a new S533 from old stock for $250 up right now holds 330 of 50lb, I think. Sorry, definitely not 2 speed.

Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    Just wondering why you want a 2-speed for a 50lb bait stick? If you want it to cast a star drag is going to out perform all of the lever drag 2-speed options.

I just got off an all day on the Liberty yesterday where I used my Fathom 25NLD2 for 40# bait and that thing really took me by surprise when casting. I've read all about how a star will outcast a LD, but the Fathom is no joke.

Upvote 0

nmthree

Nick M- So Cal
    Feb 9, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    None
    If a 2-speed is part of the requirements, its hard to beat a Torque TRQ25NLD2 or TRQ30LD2 for castability.

Not to high jack the thread but what about casting poppers or surface iron on the long rod. I already have spinning reels but curious about 2 speeed castability for plugs/surface lures with a 25n or JX Raptor?

Upvote 0

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
    Feb 17, 2013
    San Pedro ca USA
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    SANCHA Bonita
    If a 2-speed is part of the requirements, its hard to beat a Torque TRQ25NLD2 or TRQ30LD2 for castability.
    I agree. I have the 30,40 and the 60 Penn Fathoms,hard to beat ,the range of lines you could use are endless. My fav is the 30 for wahoo with either 40 or 50 pound test

688C208B-EE0F-43A8-958F-7FF4BA2F9F56.jpeg

Upvote 0