PENN

JeffersonB

Apr 20, 2014
Name
Bob
Boat
Ranger 2410
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm looking into purchasing a jig reel for local barracuda and my main focus is casting distance. Price is of no concern, I simply want a reel that casts the proverbial mile. Power isn't that big of a concern since I will mainly target barracuda with this reel.

The Trinidad and Torium have heavy spool designs so I'm guessing it won't cast as well as a Daiwa Seagate and Daiwa Sealine-X.

I'm also willing to upgrade the reel with Boca Bearing ABEC 7 bearings.

So if you have a reel you feel is the best casting reel on the market and/or have a tricked out reel, I would appreciate some information.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
Aug 17, 2006
TORRANCE
Name
DAVE
Boat
SOLD IT
Penn Fathom 25N,
Newell 322 (Not exactly "on the market")

Reactions: FishinDeepNCJ
Upvote 0

matta57

hack
May 30, 2010
goleta
Name
matt
Boat
none
Avet SX MC works great for me. It is small, comfortable, and for fishing straight braid the MC is nice IMO. I have always heard that lever drags dont cast that well, but it works well for me, I get pretty good distance with my SX on a Calstar 690j, even with smaller irons. How far? I dont know, but its always farther than everyone else around me, and zero backlashes with the MC.
Daiwa Seagate 35 is also very good, and feels very light in the hand. If I didn't switch to the SX, I would still use it. More spool capacity would allow for a mono topshot if you wanted.

For what its worth. Good luck and have fun!

Upvote 0

kbray001

Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
I really like my penn fathom 25n for this. Another option for cuda that you might ant to think about is a Lexa 400. I can cast thing a mile and it has more than enough drag for the slime sticks.

Reactions: cheddar_22
Upvote 0

JeffersonB

Apr 20, 2014
Name
Bob
Boat
Ranger 2410
Thanks for the info guys. I've never been a fan of Penn reels, but I've been hearing a lot of great things about the Fathom and Torque reels. I will go ahead and with the Fathom 25N a go. The Torque star drag reel looks nice, but the LPI is a bit low for my liking. But then again, it may be a good 'cuda reel since they prefer slow jigs speeds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
Thanks for the info guys. I've never been a fan of Penn reels, but I've been hearing a lot of great things about the Fathom and Torque reels. I will go ahead and with the Fathom 25N a go. The Torque star drag reel looks nice, but the LPI as a bit low for my liking. But then again, it may be a good 'cuda reel since they prefer slow jigs speeds.

I have a Fathom 25N too. I liked it so much, it convinced me to buy a Torque!

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
For max distance you need the lightest spool possible. A Curado 300 will put all of the above in second place.
This is not a matter of personal opinion it is pure physics. The lighter the spool and the longer the rod,
the longer the cast. It may not look like a salt water reel
but it is more then capable for anything that swims under 30 lbs.

Walt

Upvote 0

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
I love fighting barracuda on bass reels but sometimes bass reels won't even do the job for barracuda! Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed watching people use bass reels to throw iron with all of the seals roaming around. The seals ate almost every fish they hooked at the boat.
:rofl:

Reactions: middleofnowhere
Upvote 0

OIF VET

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
In my opinion and it's just my opinion why throw a jig stick locally with a lever drag. If I were you I would get a daiwa BG 35 and match it to a calstar 690J. I know people that use a avet JX for their jig reel and love it but for me a star drag is the only way to go for fishing jigs locally. I you went with the BG 35 it could also double as a light yellowtail jig stick. Just my opinion

Upvote 0

OIF VET

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
Also put 50 or 65 braid as backing with a 100-120 yard top shot of 30 mono. Digging backlashes out of braid can turn into a bitch real quick and be costly if it has to be cut out.

Reactions: bassmeister
Upvote 0

catmagic

Almost A Member
Sep 9, 2006
Lake Havasu City, Az
Name
Jeff
Boat
26 foot Glacier Bay Cat Magic
Back in my Striper days, we could throw an iron over the College center field fence from home plate with 20 lb. mono on a jumbo spinner....just saying

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
Landed a 15lb yellowtail at the islands this weekend on a Lexa 300. 40# power pro super 8 with short 40# mono leader. Mint tady 45. Shimano terramar wc inshore. More than enough drag, got it in in about 5 minutes. Lost a bigger model earlier in the day on the same setup when I had a 20# leader. Tightened drag to get away from a hungry seal and forgot to back it off closer to the boat. Operator error, reel was fine.

Just a field report to contribute to the bass reel discussion. Full report and GoPro evidence coming to the reports section soon.

image.jpg

Reactions: widgeon
Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Back in my Striper days, we could throw an iron over the College center field fence from home plate with 20 lb. mono on a jumbo spinner....just saying

Well a yellowtail definitely isn't a striper........don't use a jumbo spinning reel unless you want your ass handed to you.

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
I know U don't want to hear it but........Trinidad.

Spool weight isn't the only thing you should be concerned about. More important match the correct rod, reel and line weight.

Also I got a Calcutta 700 te, yes it's a level wind but I can cast am iron a country mile. Also it's cool to be able to watch the water instead of watching your thumb wind on line.

Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
22.5 foot searay center console SOLD
I love fighting barracuda on bass reels but sometimes bass reels won't even do the job for barracuda! Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed watching people use bass reels to throw iron with all of the seals roaming around. The seals ate almost every fish they hooked at the boat.
:rofl:

you must have been using a P.O.S. bass reel then because my Lexa 400 takes whatever has been thrown at it so far. 20lb WSB, 25 lb+ yellows. tons of cudas, sandies, 200+lb seals haha, 150+lb BSB, 100+lb batrays, hasnt been stopped yet. next is bluefin and yellowfin on it.

It has 25lbs of max drag and hold about 300 yards of 65lb braid.

and it casts a mile. Tady's, leadheads, flyline bait. everything casts easily and far.

Kind of wish i got the lower speed one but this one hasn't let me down yet. powerful reel. the 300 is pretty much the same thing a little less drag but still more than enough. better for 50lb braid.

Reactions: cheddar_22
Upvote 0

jakejake527

Mar 5, 2012
~ ~ ~ Oceanside ~ ~ ~
Name
Jake
Boat
you must have been using a P.O.S. bass reel then because my Lexa 400 takes whatever has been thrown at it so far. 20lb WSB, 25 lb+ yellows. tons of cudas, sandies, 200+lb seals haha, 150+lb BSB, 100+lb batrays, hasnt been stopped yet. next is bluefin and yellowfin on it.

and it casts a mile. Tady's, leadheads, flyline bait. everything casts easily and far.

Kind of wish i got the lower speed one but this one hasn't let me down yet. powerful reel. the 300 is pretty much the same thing a little less drag but still more than enough. better for 50lb braid.

I've been thinking of getting a 400 lately. how's the casting distance compared to a normal conventional?

with 38" per crank....seems like a good reel to use for yoyos

Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
22.5 foot searay center console SOLD
I've been thinking of getting a 400 lately. how's the casting distance compared to a normal conventional?

with 38" per crank....seems like a good reel to use for yoyos

I can bomb anything a mile with my 400. 300 the same thing. casts heavier iron great on my Phenix M1 20-45 rod 8'2 rod.

Leadheads cast great, and i can flip a flylined chovi pretty far with it too. i tried it all this year and the reel is pretty awesome i use it for everything but deep bottom fishing because i have the high speed.. if i had the lower speed it would be good even for rockfishing!!! super smooth and casts a mile.

I was going to buy the Revo Toro and rejected it because it felt cheap and a little grindy on the cranking. in no way was it as smooth as my lexa. And the Curado 300 just didnt compare either. more drag on my reel and i hold more line. and way cheaper.

Upvote 0

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A

You convinced me to buy a Lexa 400. I'm going to sell all of my Torques and Fathoms on the boards and buy lexa's. In fact, I'm going to buy a Lexa to fish on my dropper loop rod, since it makes 25 lbs of drag.

You're right that a Lexa could probably do the job locally but it doesn't have the cranking power of a torque/fathom/trinidad. While you can land very large fish on lexa/curado reels e.g. 40-50 lb yellowtail at Cedros, they're not the preferred reels for fishing surface iron for that grade of fish for a reason.

I buy all of my gear to fill multiple spots in my quiver. I can throw surface iron locally with my reels just as well as you can with your curado and then turn around and fish them on large 30-50 lb yellows at Cedros or 40-70 lb tuna without batting an eye. If you want a more versatile reel buy a fathom/torque or it's Trinidad equivalent. That's what the OP on this thread did...

Reactions: so*CALpaddyhop
Upvote 0