Best captian/operation to fish with out of San Jose Del Cabo

kcsaab

Aug 3, 2010
Kansas City USA
we will be down the week after christmas and staying very close to the marina. Who would you guys recommend for a combination of good service, equipment, fishing, etc...any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Rob.W

Sep 15, 2014
Name
Rob
Boat
Lost @ Sea
I'd call Gordo banks Pangas. I went with Tony in August on the "Hooker". The Hooker is a Panga but Tony is a very good Capt. and worked hard. If you go to the marina the day before he'll work with you on a plan for your trip and what you want to catch. He was willing to leave as early as 5:30. This is good if the bait is outside the marina, at least you won't get stuck waiting behind other boats at 6:45. His equipment is OK. I took all my own Avets in my carry on and he switched his reels out with my reels quickly. I'm not promoting Gordo Banks, just that I had a really good experience. Good luck.

Upvote 0

mafrancis66

Apr 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA, USA
Name
Mark Franics
Boat
Sold it!
I have fished with Tony also and I would recommend him as well. Also, look up Jamie (Tony's cousin) with Cabo Playa. He has a variety of pangas/cruiser available and his Captains are awesome fisherman as well. good luck and enjoY!

Upvote 0

100%

Almost A Member
Jun 8, 2007
San Marcos
Name
Michael Bryson
Boat
223 Everglades
Gordo Banks Pangas. Eric Brictson the owner is an amazing fisherman and has lived down there a LONG time. I cant wait to go back. :)

Upvote 0

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Ocean Shores Washington/Mexico waters
Name
james
Boat
52' Hatteras C Lobos Del Mar
I have a guide i use on my boat, Omar. He has 3 brothers and a father all of which are awesome to fish with. Good English and related to bait boat so we also get the best bait and no waiting. They can pick you up at airport and get you all set up.

Reactions: robo60
Upvote 0

windowman

Working for a living so I can fish
Sep 14, 2011
cranbrook b.c. canada
Name
kerry murray
Boat
the osprey
I just got back a couple of days ago and fishing was okay but off a little from last year at this time. Too much wind!
Biggest yellowfin was only 46 lbs with Tony
My 3 boys and I have fished with Tony for over 15 years and have booked through Eric most of the time!
He has good contacts with everybody down there.
Jaime and his company Cabo Playa is very good I have used when Tony is booked, ask to fish with his dad Jaime sr (90 lb tuna last year) and also check out Ricardo from Fati Fishing, he was doing very good last week for wahoo!
Eric is the best for you to contact to look after everything for you if it is your first time down, some of the others are tough to deal with the first time and may be hard to keep in contact with unless you are at the marina almost everyday!
Tight lines and have fun, remember to enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Mar 12, 2014
San Diego
Name
Blake
Boat
25' Skipjack FB
Capt Chame with Gordo Banks did a great job for us. I appreciated the fact Eric met us at the marina the morning of our trip to make introductions. It was kinda hectic and confusing in the predawn scramble of guests and captains...

Upvote 0

robo60

Aug 5, 2015
new lenox,il
Name
rob s.
Boat
Rob's advice
I have a guide i use on my boat, Omar. He has 3 brothers and a father all of which are awesome to fish with. Good English and related to bait boat so we also get the best bait and no waiting. They can pick you up at airport and get you all set up.
Listen to James. Omar and his family are awesome. Fantastic experience! Can't wait to come back!!!

Reactions: blowncar
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2014
Name
Greenhornet
Boat
Blazer Bay
Fished with Fati Sportfishing and then another day with Gordo Banks Thanksgiving week. Both were basically Mexican boat rides but I guess the fishing is good enough that it doesn't matter right now, we caught one striped marlin each trip and had a few other fish hooked that didn't get landed. Fati pulled the old boat and switch the morning of, so we went from fishing in a cruiser to a panga with no deckhand (operating the boat WHILE trying to get hookups trolling isn't easy). For our second trip we booked the cheapest boat with Gordo Banks, so I knew what to expect...the crappiest boat, tackle and captain in the marina and that's exactly what we got.

Quick question: Do the majority of the charters stay within a couple miles of shore right now because it is where the action is or simply for fuel savings?

Upvote 0

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Name
james
Boat
A marlin a day plus a few extras doesnt sound too horrible to me. I assume you fished right in front of Gordo point about 1/2mile off shore? I have found that most panga guides want to make sure the guest gets something hooked and would most likely pick a spot that is producing decent fishing rather than to strike out on their own to find better fishing and risk getting skunked. If you want to risk it just tell them where you want to try fishing at. They with go to the Iman bank, inner or outer gordos or towards cabo if that's where fishing is known to be producing. I really don't think they are overly worried about 4-5 extra gallons of gas, heck if you had an awesome day the extra tips would more than cover gas cost.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2014
Name
Greenhornet
Boat
Blazer Bay
A marlin a day plus a few extras doesnt sound too horrible to me. I assume you fished right in front of Gordo point about 1/2mile off shore? I have found that most panga guides want to make sure the guest gets something hooked and would most likely pick a spot that is producing decent fishing rather than to strike out on their own to find better fishing and risk getting skunked. If you want to risk it just tell them where you want to try fishing at. They with go to the Iman bank, inner or outer gordos or towards cabo if that's where fishing is known to be producing. I really don't think they are overly worried about 4-5 extra gallons of gas, heck if you had an awesome day the extra tips would more than cover gas cost.

I understand and share your logic but I guess you just had to be there to know what I'm talking about. The tackle was the worst I have seen on a charter next to Rick's in Playa Del Carmen and we have been on several charters all over Mexico and a couple in Costa Rica (I don't think I saw a rust-free hook either day). I have never been on a trolling trip without a deckhand, even in a panga running back and forth from the throttle to the rods isn't ideal. I would have been more than glad to lend a hand but the language barrier was tough on the first trip and impossible on the second trip.

As far as locations I'm not familiar enough with the area to suggest or even be able to tell you exactly what we fished. The first trip (Fati) we ran Eastish I guess a few miles and about two-4 miles offshore, other charters around us all day. Nothing too suspect about that but on our second day we literally put out baits about a mile out of the marina and circled that area the entire 6 hours. The only boats we saw looked like they were just passing through, maybe saw two other boats fish that area all day (briefly at that).

I think a courtesy email or call at least a day prior on a boat that's down is pretty reasonable, when you show up day of and get the switch it comes across pretty shady. I have a boat and I KNOW they breakdown but a little communication would have been nice.
We were switched from a cruiser to a panga with no deckhand and got a whopping $30 discount...

All in all we enjoyed our trips but an honest review of charters/captains is the main reason I visit this site so I'm just trying to share our experience.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats
Upvote 0

kcsaab

Aug 3, 2010
Kansas City USA
James tell me more about your boat and operation. We will want to fish the 29-31 of December. My wife and i fish all over the world but never in Cabo. I know this isnt prime time or even good time but want to find a great captain with a good boat and equipment so we have the best opportunity to be successful. what are your daily rates? what do they cover?

Reactions: blowncar
Upvote 0

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Name
james
Boat
I'm just a fisherman not a charter business. My boat is in LaPaz currently and is pending sea trial before sale. We are moving up to 34-38 footer later in 2016. My guide and his family are awesome, there are a lot of good guides in SJDC and you don't have to go with the two biggest operators (although they are good) to get a great fishing experience. I introduced Robo60 to him and he made sure Rob had a great fishing experience and fun after fishing. Picked up at airport, help getting license, beer supplies etc and tour about town. That type of interaction makes for a great fishing trip, much more than just time in the boat. If anyone has interest pm me for his number.

Upvote 0

kcsaab

Aug 3, 2010
Kansas City USA
i understand what you are saying now James. I wont need a pickup or anything like that we are staying at a local resort while we are there. What type of boat does he captain?

Upvote 0

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
James and most everybody is right in head with Eric, Greenhornet that's a pretty shady deal some of those operators have been moving into San Jose, but I have been on several pangas and I have never had a crew along on a panga. I was down there the same time and the fish are generally in where in the areas you mentioned. The problem this time of year with San Jose is the wind with the N/NE direction which is so prevalent in the winter months is that the water gets really nasty. All of the fish right now are off the Pacific and Cabo and will probably stay like that for the next few months, also the best part is so is the calm water. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of fish in the San Jose area and if you came down in Mid the late December on a normal year there would be mackerel and sardines 1/2 mile from the Marina entrance and stripe marlin and dorado all over the place. My bet though with somebody coming down in Dec would be to get a charter from Cabo. I normally come down that time of year and put my boat in the Cabo marina for the time I am there and my slip is in San Jose.

Upvote 0