Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
I'm pretty new to fishing Cabo but will be there with two buddies the first week in June. We'll be fishing our own boat, and will likley fish mainly out of CSL.

Any suggestions for best bets for lures/colors for this time of year? Have a fairly well stocked tackle box with clones, Bonita's, daisy chains, rapala's, cedar plugs etc. and will change it up until something sparks an interest, but would love ideas on what to try first. Terrafin shows a good temp/color break running due south of the point, hope that holds which should at least give a place to start.

Thanks

renegademike

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 4, 2007
Cabo San Lucas
Name
Mike T
Boat
31 Bertram Renegademike
Tim I live in cabo full time and if there is anything I can help you with once you get down here feel free to give me a holler.
I used to bring my skiff down here from San Diego many times and it was a learning experience at first until I got to know some of the locals and what not. The fishing down here can be great fun on a smaller size boat because for the most part you don't have to travel very far to get into some great offshore style fishing.

Finding a guide for the first few trips can shorten your learning curve big time. If you have a good sounder and know how to use it the inshore structure fishing can be a blast. We still have some yellow tail around and last year we were still getting them in the 15 to 20lb class until mid to late June.
June is when we normally get our bigger sized roosters to show up.
If its marlin your after some local advise on where the fish are biting is a big help and for the most part the local gringos are more than willing to help.

I can show you where to eat good and cheap. I can still have a egg breakfast w/ coffee and some fresh OJ for under 5 bucks. Cabo can be a very expensive place but if you look around and ask enough people you can find all the great places we locals on a working mans budget frequent.

Make sure you look up when you get here and I would be more than happy to show you around. just love to turn people on to the good things Cabo has to offer.
I have a nice 31ft Bertram that I put in the water last Nov and I fish it allot when its not out on a charter and in the afternoons when it goes out on a charter. I have been coming down to cabo for years and I finally decided it was time to start living my dream to satisfy my fanatical obsession to fish all the time. Last year we did not have a great cow tuna season but I am hoping that this year we will get into some good giant tuna.
PM me if you like and I will give you my local number and e-mail. Good luck and good fishing Mike T

tlong

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 4, 2006
newport beach
Name
tim
Boat
43, cabo, jackpot
Renegade Mike is making a very generous offer and you need to take advantage of it. Cabo is not the place to simply show up with your boat and hope for the best. Any boat problems and the current will take you to South America, you better know somebody. Any boat problems and all the Terrafin charts and cedar plugs in the world aren't going help you get assistance. At least have a guide take you out initially.

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
Hey Mike. Thank you for the response I really appreciate the information and the offer.

I"ll be down in Cabo fishing for a week in June, only my second trip down there. I do co-own the boat, a 24' Sea Chaser, with friend who has fished Cabo for many years, but not all that seriously. He also knows a local guide that he has used for 20 plus years, and we'll likely use him at least the first day out. At the same time, I'm trying to come up to speed as quickly as possible, and especially for subsequent trips when it will be just my wife, daughter and myself without my buddy down there. Just trying to make sure I pack the right gear.

I was a bit shocked about the cost of things in Cabo generally as compared to other south of the border loactions I've visited, so any information on places to get a good meal at a reasonable price will be greatly appreciated. Staying at Myrtle Bee's villa when we're down there, so we will be able to cook for ourselves and won't be doing the big Cabo hotel thing again.

As for what we're fishing for this thip, I tend to be a strict opportunist. I like to fish for best bets, and go with what's working best. We were hoping to try for some roosters, but last trip we took advantage of a good sierra bite, and then chased bills later on. Next trip will be in November for Thanksgiving week, when I'll bring my wife and my 14 year old daughter down with me. My daughter's first "warm water" fishing, so really hope we have a good trip then. Will likely ping you then to see if you have any suggestions.

I'll send you a pm as well, would be great to get your contact information and I'll be sure to look you up.

Thanks Again, Tim