I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Choose your boat wisely.

3 days is a long run for some boats, and a short run for others.

Pick a boat that does longer trips, as it will have the facilities to make a three day a blast.

30+ people trying to share one shower sucks.
Not to mention eating off paper plates and meals prepared out of the can or frozen and the stuffy bunk rooms where you can hear people snoring or talking all night.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Thanks for all the advice guys. Really appreciate it. Kinda eying that Islander trip as well as the Seeker trip on the Chief right now.

Anyone have any idea what kind of fishing those trips would be doing and where given this year’s conditions?
HANDS DOWN do the Islander if you can get on it. No comment on the Chief.

Reactions: carterantebi

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Where is the Islander out of?

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Carter, I don't know much about the Chief and several of the "local" boats. I am not saying anything negative. I just haven't fished a local boat in decades. I have gotten spoiled in my old age with limited loads (30 or less fishermen), staterooms and plenty of showers.

If you really want the long range experience, then make sure whatever boat you choose is a true long range boat. You will be surprised at the difference. As stated before the Islander is the previous Red Rooster. The current owner has chartered it out for the Shark Week Show and you've seen it at Guadalupe on the Show. Both the Searcher and Islander use to fish all the way down Baja.

The Queen I fished a long time ago. A great boat and a good record. I met the new owner and he's great, but it is more of a local boat.

We all want you to have a great experience and really become addicted as we are. So keep asking question. Let us know when you are thinking of going. Maybe you can hook up with some on BD as well.

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
Tahoe
Name
Steve
Boat
clawfoot tub
Hey Carter, you are on the right track and asking the right questions. I started near your age as well on 1/2 days out of SanPedro. Then worked up to 11/2 trips on boats like the Oceanside 95, Aztec. At 18 and on a limited budget, I jumped on the Bright and Morning Star for a 3.5 Day. We went to the lupe but fishing was slow. It didn’t matter as I was blown away by the beauty and witnessing White sharks.
I saved up some money, and booked a 5 day on the Shogun. This experience opened my eyes to true Long Range fishing. The food, boat, crew, and staterooms made for a comfortable, productive experience. This was the turning point that began my life long passion.
One thing I’ve learned, every trip is different and unique.
Excel, Shogun, Vagabond, Islander, Polaris Supreme are all good boats and have shorter trips these days targeting the Bluefin.
Good luck and tight lines!

Last edited:
Reactions: RichG and Steve K

Adrien Baker

Born to get down.
May 18, 2016
Taft
www.pbnation.com
Name
Adrien Baker
Boat
Ultra
The Chief may not be a typical LR style boat with state rooms and all of the traditional amenities, but it's got a great crew that loves having kids and the next generation on board. For those that don't know, the Chief is under new ownership with Owner/Captain Rick Russel and he's dedicated. Also, Tino Valantine just came on board as well. The boat is running out of Pedro right now but is currently getting some maintenance done.

Adrien

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Just like Steve, (Tahoe) I saw the difference between a 3 day, couple of those, and my first fiver. Really a much more relaxed bunch of anglers for the most part. After that one, August ‘99 on the Rooster, I was hooked like a Cow on a 20/0 Circle Hook!

luckylogger6

May 19, 2010
Northern CA
Name
Joe
Boat
none
I did my first trip as a 18yr old punk kid who thought I was gods gift to fishing. It was a 5 day on the excel. I drove down from San Jose and did the trip alone. All of the "long range experience" was wasted on me. I was only interested in fishing, didn't talk to the crew, learn from the more experienced, or take in the WHOLE experience of being on such a great vessel, with and great crew and captain. All i cared about was catching fish. I wasn't a spoiled brat (i paid for the trip by working in a tackle shop) but at that stage of life all the little things that mean some much to most of us didn't matter.

With that said I would recommend taking the longest summer trip you can afford regardless of if the boat is one of the true long range boats. If your like i was at your age you'll hardly notice the details...

Last edited:

walkerman

May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Minimum 5, better 7. Part of the lr experience is leaving everything behind. It takes you a couple of days just to get to that point.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan

dannykl1957

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
Carter, did you have a preference for time of year? The fish will be closer come September and October most likely. That means more fishing time and a 3 or4 day trip would probably meet your budget.

Consider the Vagabond though there are many fine boats to choose from. Captain Mike Lackey is a fish finding savant and his boat Vagabond attracts fish. Mike has very few peers when it comes to bluefin tuna fishing. If this year is anything like the last few, bluefin will be on the menu and Captain Mike will put you on them.

He is also a wonderful teacher who will help you become a better angler.

Again,lots of solid options. I suggest the Vagabond!

Dan

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Pacific Queen!
Looks like I’ll probably just stick with a 3 day on the Vagabond or Chief for now, likely around July or earlier August. If I keep it cheap with a more local boat, I’ll have more left over to spend on gear/shorter trips. Then by next year I’ll hopefully have a bigger budget to spoil myself a bit more on a true LR trip.

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Pacific Queen!
The extra .5 day can make all the differance in regards to 2-3 day trips. 2.5 or 3.5 mo better
Was thinking the same thing, just don’t see a whole lot of 3.5 days advertised.

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Waiting list. Inquire how many are already on the waiting list. I have been lucky and got on aproximitly 80% of trips that I was on the waiting list. Life gets in the way and people cancel often. Good luck. Less gear more trips. 90 % is fishing with a hook.

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Pacific Queen!
Waiting list. Inquire how many are already on the waiting list. I have been lucky and got on aproximitly 80% of trips that I was on the waiting list. Life gets in the way and people cancel often. Good luck. Less gear more trips. 90 % is fishing with a hook.
Main thing I need to do in the near future is invest in a heavy 2 speed setup. Don’t really feel like getting my ass whooped on 20lb with my Saltist sliding up my rod again.
024C47D0-4E7C-49C3-AF21-1D9E8BF8F181.jpeg

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
So rad your 16 and going for it. If I was in Cali I would loan you all my gear just service the reels after the trip. My first 4 day I was sixteen. Didn't have the right gear. Crew loaned me a 50lb set up. Killed 9 bft from 70-123lb on one drift because of the loaner rod.

I remember that photo. High sticking. Use the rod where it shuts down on the rail. Like a 10 foot jig stick on a 100lb tuna. Find the shut down where the rod has little bend then you put the hurt on using the beefy lower end of the rod. Pretend the first few feet of the rod does not exist. Good job respect and best of luck with your fishing courier

And at age 25 I booked a 15/22 day Clipperton trip and had no big tuna gear. Choate loaned me 9 big tuna rigs. I was overwhelmed at his generosity

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Main thing I need to do in the near future is invest in a heavy 2 speed setup. Don’t really feel like getting my ass whooped on 20lb with my Saltist sliding up my rod again.View attachment 920040
Once you figure out what set up you want, keep an eye on both EBay and BD. I’ve gotten some good, slightly use to new reels on EBay at 60% of retail. Rods no. Also see if your local tackle shop has used stuff. Just make sure to service the reels. Also a fishing swap meet sometimes has some good deals.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Ask the boat if you can rent 2 speeds and just pay for the line.

If not pm me and I will check with the boyz

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Pacific Queen!
So rad your 16 and going for it. If I was in Cali I would loan you all my gear just service the reels after the trip. My first 4 day I was sixteen. Didn't have the right gear. Crew loaned me a 50lb set up. Killed 9 bft from 70-123lb on one drift because of the loaner rod.

I remember that photo. High sticking. Use the rod where it shuts down on the rail. Like a 10 foot jig stick on a 100lb tuna. Find the shut down where the rod has little bend then you put the hurt on using the beefy lower end of the rod. Pretend the first few feet of the rod does not exist. Good job respect and best of luck with your fishing courier

And at age 25 I booked a 15/22 day Clipperton trip and had no big tuna gear. Choate loaned me 9 big tuna rigs. I was overwhelmed at his generosity
Yeah that was on my 270-8h. When that pic was taken we were desperately trying to get the fish to turn it’s head. Scott was kept saying “Lower! Lower! Lower!” So I went lower and the fish went for a run hahaha. Rod wasn’t high sticked like that for any longer than a few seconds though. Fun trip for sure. That was a 1.5 day on the Condor and I ended up renting a Talica 20ii paired with a Grafighter of some sort. Brand new setup but I remember it being really expensive.

Reactions: ZZZZZ

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Looks like I’ll probably just stick with a 3 day on the Vagabond or Chief for now, likely around July or earlier August. If I keep it cheap with a more local boat, I’ll have more left over to spend on gear/shorter trips. Then by next year I’ll hopefully have a bigger budget to spoil myself a bit more on a true LR trip.
If you can go with the Vagabond.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Keep your eye on the classified section here like others have said. You can pick up some really good equipment guys are looking to move. Nothing wrong with renting it either, that will let you try brand scout to help when you do buy.

Get after it and have fun, the great thing about long range fishing is most folks are good people and willing to help

Reactions: RichG

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Yeah that was on my 270-8h. When that pic was taken we were desperately trying to get the fish to turn it’s head. Scott was kept saying “Lower! Lower! Lower!” So I went lower and the fish went for a run hahaha. Rod wasn’t high sticked like that for any longer than a few seconds though. Fun trip for sure. That was a 1.5 day on the Condor and I ended up renting a Talica 20ii paired with a Grafighter of some sort. Brand new setup but I remember it being really expensive.
One benefit of choosing a long range boat like the Vagabond is they have thier own loaner gear for the passengers to use. When you set up the trip, just give thier office a call and they can work it out. You can let them know what you have and they can supplement the rest. BTW a Fathom 40NLD2 is a lot of reel for $200. Not designer cow killer reel but plenty capable for 150lb fish. Also makes a nice yoyo reel so it’s not like your buying a one trick pony like a true larger cow reel. It’s also the same reel that the Vagabond will likely loan out for larger tuna fishing.

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Pacific Queen!
One benefit of choosing a long range boat like the Vagabond is they have thier own loaner gear for the passengers to use. When you set up the trip, just give thier office a call and they can work it out. You can let them know what you have and they can supplement the rest. BTW a Fathom 40NLD2 is a lot of reel for $200. Not designer cow killer reel but plenty capable for 150lb fish. Also makes a nice yoyo reel so it’s not like your buying a one trick pony like a true larger cow reel. It’s also the same reel that the Vagabond will likely loan out for larger tuna fishing.
What would I spool that fathom with? 80lb spectra to 60lb topshot? $200 is hard to beat and I could likely find one used for even cheaper. What would be a good rod to pair that with?

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
There's a Fathom 40nld2 speed on page 2 of the classifieds now for $230 filled with JB80lb. I bought my son a 25n and it's a sweet little reel