Best bang for the buck in a used 2 speed 80lb class reel

Dexter Outdoors
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
What do you guys think of the older Avet Pro EX 4/02 reels? I recently picked up a used one, looks almost brand new. Got killer deal $100! I was told the factory drag is usually around 18/25lb. But, I sent mine to Alan Tani for service and to have him HotRod the drags, we're hoping for upper 20s to mid 30lbs on the drag.

If I get these numbers out of the rebuild, would his reel work for 80lb bait or 100lb dropper loop?

Kenji - I have that exact same reel that I bought many years ago. I recently sent it back to Avet and they beefed it up and now it's getting 35lbs.

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
I think a tld20ii with a tib frame could be the ticket if priced reasonably. Saw an offer on ebay for almost 500 for frames only, guy is smoking something. You could get a new reel that weighs less and pumps out more drag for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
I saw reference to the graphite framed Shimano TLDs. 60# reel at the most, even at the aluminum frame change out they are a 60# reel.
And don't get fooled into thinking the TLD 50 is perhaps a better choice, it is actually worse. I have seen more of those frames break than on th ed smaller units.

I was reading something Alan Tani wrote about these and he noted that the smaller tld20 was probably less likely to fail because the narrower spool would put less torque on a similar strength frame. So I can see how the 50 would be even worse.

Reactions: Retired1
Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
I was reading something Alan Tani wrote about these and he noted that the smaller tld20 was probably less likely to fail because the narrower spool would put less torque on a similar strength frame. So I can see how the 50 would be even worse.
Exactly.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope

I had a TLD 20 II upgraded with the Tiburon frame and drag plate. A much improved reel, almost all the way around. The word "almost" is there because with the upgrade, I was told that the weak spot became the spool shaft--while the rest of the reel could handle greater torque, the shaft stayed the same and couldn't take the force of the higher drag without bending. But the upgrade took it from an "ok" 50-60# reel to a really good 50-60# reel...but not an 80# reel.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I had a TLD 20 II upgraded with the Tiburon frame and drag plate. A much improved reel, almost all the way around. The word "almost" is there because with the upgrade, I was told that the weak spot became the spool shaft--while the rest of the reel could handle greater torque, the shaft stayed the same and couldn't take the force of the higher drag without bending. But the upgrade took it from an "ok" 50-60# reel to a really good 50-60# reel...but not an 80# reel.
I would save up and get the Talica 20, then your have
a reel that can get the Job Done....

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I
I would save up and get the Talica 20, then your have
a reel that can get the Job Done....
I have a hotrodded out talica 16 and 20 both blueprinted by cal sheets, and had the lower gear changed to 1.6 to 1 . Kick ass Guadalupe 60 and 80 # reels. Cant wait to use em in November on the Royal star, had Saltydawg wrap a predator and the new rainshadow 80#blank for those reels.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I
I have a hotrodded out talica 16 and 20 both blueprinted by cal sheets, and had the lower gear changed to 1.6 to 1 . Kick ass Guadalupe 60 and 80 # reels. Cant wait to use em in November on the Royal star, had Saltydawg wrap a predator and the new rainshadow 80#blank for those reels.
I have a friend that fished their a year ago, and mainly used the 16 II
but a couple months after his Trip he picked up the 20II
because Luke wacked the Crap out of them with it
and he made sure he was better prepared
for the next time.

Reactions: Tackleho619
Upvote 0

big dog62

Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
Most of my trips, the fish can be handled on 40lb to 60lb class stuff, and I have that. My only 80 lb class reels are my trolling set ups from my boat, 6/0 class star darg reels with 80lb mono.

But our June trip may head to Guadalupe, and the possibility of triple digit size fish exists. I have hauled in a 75lb yft on a single speed fishing 40lb and it was work and took a while.

And while I could walk into tackle shop and whip out the credit card, I just dont want to. Plus, most of my other gear is older but well built stuff.

Bases on what little I know, and if money wasn't an issue, I would get the smallest yet toughest reel capable of handling 150lb Tuna (accurate?) Why carry around a big reel if you dont have to?

The used and cheaper large 2 speeds I know of are tld30 and tld50 but their graphite frames limit the max drag one should apply. When it comes to old international reels, I am clueless, plus they are heavy. And I dont know of other older reels that are available at a discount to todays reels just because they old, not because they suck

So I guess I am looking for the "best" reel, used, that balances cost and size that is capable of fishing 80lb string for live bait.

Your opinions please.

Tom!....When you get to the Lupe, you want to have castability, great freespool. Much easier to get this out of numerous light tackle brands. When you try to get these features out of heavier gear, the field narrows.
Bust out the plastic and get a Mak 16 or 20. You can thank me upon return from your trip.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Tom!....When you get to the Lupe, you want to have castability, great freespool. Much easier to get this out of numerous light tackle brands. When you try to get these features out of heavier gear, the field narrows.
Bust out the plastic and get a Mak 16 or 20. You can thank me upon return from your trip.
That wasn't my comment, I already have a mak 16, 2 cal sheet hot rod talicas, 16 and 20, mak 10, mak 15, mak 20,avet raptor hxj, penn torque 40nld.pretty sure I have Guadalupe covered.

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Most of my trips, the fish can be handled on 40lb to 60lb class stuff, and I have that. My only 80 lb class reels are my trolling set ups from my boat, 6/0 class star darg reels with 80lb mono.

But our June trip may head to Guadalupe, and the possibility of triple digit size fish exists. I have hauled in a 75lb yft on a single speed fishing 40lb and it was work and took a while.

And while I could walk into tackle shop and whip out the credit card, I just dont want to. Plus, most of my other gear is older but well built stuff.

Bases on what little I know, and if money wasn't an issue, I would get the smallest yet toughest reel capable of handling 150lb Tuna (accurate?) Why carry around a big reel if you dont have to?

The used and cheaper large 2 speeds I know of are tld30 and tld50 but their graphite frames limit the max drag one should apply. When it comes to old international reels, I am clueless, plus they are heavy. And I dont know of other older reels that are available at a discount to todays reels just because they old, not because they suck

So I guess I am looking for the "best" reel, used, that balances cost and size that is capable of fishing 80lb string for live bait.

Your opinions please.
Avet HX Raptor sounds just like what you are looking for!
-Aren

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hi Tom,

Though many of the reels recommended are great reels for fishing the lupe on 60# many of those are just not 80 pound reels.. Please make sure, if fishing 80# is your goal, that you purchase a reel designed for the task. There is a huge difference between a real and true max 60# reel vs a real and true 80# pound reel.

Jamie

Jamie is right on here.
The Penn Fathom FTH40NLD2 and Torque TRQ40NLD2 are great Guadalupe reels for 50-60 pound tophots, but they are not designed to be 80-pound reels.
The International 16VSX is an excellent choice for 80-pound work [or even 100 pound]. True it is heavier [42 oz. vs. 26 oz.], but that is in fact the key.

Upvote 0

okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
I searched eBay and found a few cal'ed penns 12,20 models for around $400 good dependable stuff! Probably get a makaira 16 used for about $400 on the forums. A makaira 16n would be priceless! 500 yards 80# pound spectra with a top shot of 80#

Upvote 0

gregory

Almost A Member
Jul 1, 2004
da OC
Name
gregory
Boat
float tube
I love my Makaira 16 loaded with 500+ yards of #100 spectra n fish it with #80 fluoroscopy at Guadelupe Island. The best part is the low is geared at 1:1.3 ratio so getting the tuna up while it is making the death circles is nice. Low gear greater than 1:2+ make this part tougher...

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
I was able to get a tiburon grames tld 20ii for only 225. A little heavier than an hx or makaira 16 but the price was right and worth the trade. Now I have another 200 for a good rod that matches

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I was able to get a tiburon grames tld 20ii for only 225. A little heavier than an hx or makaira 16 but the price was right and worth the trade. Now I have another 200 for a good rod that matches
My experience with that reel, fishing a 50 lb topshot, goes back to catching (at the time) a new personal best and 3rd place jackpot 97 lb Yellowfin at Alijos Rocks October 2005. I was pretty stoked and to this day am as proud of that fish as any others I've caught.

I, too, had hopes of using the Frankenstein technology of beefing up the reel. I put a topless Tiburon frame on it, also a T-Bar Lite handle, and reworked the drag with an aftermarket drag plate from Cal's 2 Speed, even fiddled around with the Belleville washers, trying for better drag numbers without losing valuable freespool. I mean the reel looks good, but I was only able to get 15-18 lbs of drag out of it at strike. Great 50-60 lb reel.

Let us know how the drag scales out on it. If you're serious about using yours for 80 lb and drag settings appropriate for that, you might want to get in touch with Ken's Custom Reel in Oceanside. If anybody can pull it off, it's Ken or Wes.

Upvote 0

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Name
Esteban
Boat
sold
I picked up a used shimano tiagra 16 last year for 250. It's a 2 speed and came with 100 lb spectra on it, although I think that's to heavy and I'm gonna change it.
I've yet to hook and land anything on it but it seems like it'll do the job well.

Upvote 0

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
Another key factor in not just having that light reel that feels good to hold and just right in your hand, is a great bait that is on crack. One that swims with lightning up its butt to get away from the boat and is able to pull line off and into the strike zone

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
I picked up a used shimano tiagra 16 last year for 250. It's a 2 speed and came with 100 lb spectra on it, although I think that's to heavy and I'm gonna change it.
I've yet to hook and land anything on it but it seems like it'll do the job well.

A Tiagra is a very durable reel! A bit heavy, but if you can get good free spool and enough drag, it will work forever...send it to Alan Tani or Cal's.

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: Chuck Roast
Upvote 0