Best Baits for BIG CATFISH fishing: worm vs mackerel! Which one is more effective? Let's find out!

fishingap

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
We've used worms for a long time for catfish. After learning mackerel is good from an amigo at lake dixon :cheers: , we gave it a try.

It indeed worked! But is it better than worm? We compared them in a trip and here is the video:
Tight lines:cheers:

Reactions: pacificscout

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
A good ripe mackerel works for me. If We catch any on a saltwater trip we keep them for cat bait. That freezer burned dried out stuff doesn't work.

Reactions: fishingap

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
Hi sealskinner, mindbent,

by 'ripe', did you mean big mackerel? It seems that I just had luck that day, as I just brought the only mackerel accidentally hooked:jig:

Depends on how ripe the mackeral is.
I always had better luck with chicken livers.
But worms will catch anything. Bass, catfish, bluegill and carp.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Mackerel. ...The smellier...The better. Not don't laugh.....but my secret final dip before casting it in the water is garlic juice and strawberry jello powder. Have beaten all my friends with this mix for years. Do an (A vs B) simultaneous test. May work for you there. Good luck.

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
Mackerel. ...The smellier...The better. Not don't laugh.....but my secret final dip before casting it in the water is garlic juice and strawberry jello powder. Have beaten all my friends with this mix for years. Do an (A vs B) simultaneous test. May work for you there. Good luck.
AB test sounds like a good idea. jello powder was quite unexpected for me, but it's worth a try as it may attract carp as well. Thanks for sharing!

ahidog

10000 atta boys
Sep 15, 2004
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
Slab your Mack’s then layer with rock salt no need for freezer burn.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Jello powder. ...tried other flavors and colors.... strawberry was the one....Over and over. Have also had great success with whole shrimp....In that jello powder. Shell off seems to work if there not allot of smaller species (crappie etc). She'll on if they're like locusts...lol.

Rock salt...great for curing that mack. Fish 1 piece all day. Although you may have to re enhance it's flavor when it gets "washed out".

I'm a believer....In catfish holding in the same holes....Over and over. They also use the same feeding "highways" to get from one area of the river or lake to the other. Learned this from an old commercial catfisherman from Mississippi.

Whether you take your catch home.... or release it.... try to make a mental note of where. I've used some spots for years... and did consistently well, casting in the same 5 foot area, deep hole. They will return over and over for ambush. When they're caught (eaten).... The next in the pecking order will take over that spot. Just my many years of observation and experience. .. hope it helps brother. Good fishing...
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: sdjfish

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
Jello powder. ...tried other flavors and colors.... strawberry was the one....Over and over. Have also had great success with whole shrimp....In that jello powder. Shell off seems to work if there not allot of smaller species (crappie etc). She'll on if they're like locusts...lol.

Rock salt...great for curing that mack. Fish 1 piece all day. Although you may have to re enhance it's flavor when it gets "washed out".

I'm a believer....In catfish holding in the same holes....Over and over. They also use the same feeding "highways" to get from one area of the river or lake to the other. Learned this from an old commercial catfisherman from Mississippi.

Whether you take your catch home.... or release it.... try to make a mental note of where. I've used some spots for years... and did consistently well, casting in the same 5 foot area, deep hole. They will return over and over for ambush. When they're caught (eaten).... The next in the pecking order will take over that spot. Just my many years of observation and experience. .. hope it helps brother. Good fishing...
:rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing years of experience, catfish master:)

Sids Squids

Jun 4, 2019
Victorville
Name
Adam
Boat
14ft Gamefisher
What kind of accident/drunk night had to happen for someone to decide to put Jello powder on Catfish bait? I've used worms, mack, livers the usual suspects my whole life with success... never in my wildest dreams would the words catfish and jello ever be combined... what a time to be alive!

Reactions: woodfish330

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
That's a story for another day brother..lol. :food-smiley-014:
Necessity IS the mother of invention. Some of todays most notable inventions were discovered accidentally by those not afraid to think "out if the box". (JELLO that is)...
:appl:

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
What kind of accident/drunk night had to happen for someone to decide to put Jello powder on Catfish bait? I've used worms, mack, livers the usual suspects my whole life with success... never in my wildest dreams would the words catfish and jello ever be combined... what a time to be alive!
Some beer may have inspired fishermen like what the fallen apple did for Newton :720icon:

rcjoutdoors

Dew werk!
Feb 11, 2020
Sunrise
Name
Richie Corrillo
Boat
Proline
I will try this, I hope they don't mind sugar free, they need to get summer ready anyway. :D

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
I noticed last summer that the sizes of the channel cats I caught increased dramatically on cut bait vs. anything else, including worms. Maks are candy to them, but I ended up using mostly cut sunfish/bluegill. I tested some in a ziplock bag of salt, garlic, and a bit of oil. Some I tried with various aftermarket scents. The garlic mixture and Atlas Mike's shrimp scent slayed em.

Because the bluegill has thicker skin, I could catch several fish on the same piece. If the garlic piece got waterlogged, I sometimes switched it out for a new piece, but put it back in the bag to resoak. I would just reapply the scent and recast for the others.

Don't really care for hotdogs- too soft. A guy I saw catching realy liked them, but je used them with garlic, salt, and BLUE Koolaid. Go figure.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I used to fish the aqueduct for stripers, and there was this old man that would sit out in the evening and load up on catfish. He would be done shortly after dark. His bait of choice... GRAPES!

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
Thanks folks for the great ideas above! :cheers:

I heard from multiple sources that coolaid, hotdogs, garlic, salt. So they are worth a try next time. As coolaid and jello powder may smells similar to grape, which may be an underestimated bait. It's cheap, also a snack for us

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
I noticed last summer that the sizes of the channel cats I caught increased dramatically on cut bait vs. anything else, including worms. Maks are candy to them, but I ended up using mostly cut sunfish/bluegill. I tested some in a ziplock bag of salt, garlic, and a bit of oil. Some I tried with various aftermarket scents. The garlic mixture and Atlas Mike's shrimp scent slayed em.

Because the bluegill has thicker skin, I could catch several fish on the same piece. If the garlic piece got waterlogged, I sometimes switched it out for a new piece, but put it back in the bag to resoak. I would just reapply the scent and recast for the others.

Don't really care for hotdogs- too soft. A guy I saw catching realy liked them, but je used them with garlic, salt, and BLUE Koolaid. Go figure.
That sounds like everything we need for a stir-fry:cheers:. As cats mainly rely on scent, this recipe won't go wrong.!

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
That sounds like everything we need for a stir-fry:cheers:. As cats mainly rely on scent, this recipe won't go wrong.!
To clarify, the garlic mixture and the shrimp scent were separate. Although, every now and then, I'd drop a few on the garlic pieces on general principle. :)