Best bait for spotties

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
Where's a mud sucker when you need one? They were like a hot fudge sunday to spotted bay bass. Many tackle shops to sell them........

I miss the good ol' days

Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Where do you catch the smelt?
    They hang out at the piers and docks. Couple ways to catch them. Get a size 12 hook sabiki or smaller if available. Usually I cut mine in half to avoid tangling it up. Use one half and tip the hooks with the smallest bit of shrimp or squid you can. Add a sinker to the bottom of the rig. Drop all the way down and work it up slowly till you find the smelt. Most of the times you can see them near the surface. If you don't see any throw some old bread in the water to get them going.
    Another option is to buy a net. I never had much luck with the umbrella style nets. Prefer using the rigid circle nets that some tackleshops use. Throw bread, see the smelt eat it and throw just past them. Then just bring the net back quickly. Can load up with a few throws sometimes. Other days the smelt are too small or fast. I'm not talking about a cast net.

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    if you have a bait tank... anchovies are the ticket... run out to the receiver and grab a $20 sack... spottys and halibut love them in he Bay...
    even a bucket would work I guess... dead might even work... as far as swimbaits go... the hot ticket in Newport... so I hear from my kid and his Buddies... is the Megabass Dark Sleeper... they kill it dock hoppin...

unnamed.jpg

Upvote 0