Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Hey guys, taking my 2 sons (4 and 7) out in the harbor (newport) fishing this weekend and I want them to get hooked. Whats a good bait that spotties can't resist? They will be using little kids rods/reels and I am thinking some sort of bait and wait as they don't have the casting and retrieving down yet. Any tips to help them get on em appreciated! I use swimbaits when I am targeting spotties but they definitely aren't ready for that.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Hey guys, taking my 2 sons (4 and 7) out in the harbor (newport) fishing this weekend and I want them to get hooked.

If it were me...

I would try to be targeting mackerel or anything at all that will bite and provide lots of action. Those ages are tough to keep focused so the more action going on the more of a chance you have to engage them in the sport and thus hooking them.

Bring a couple sabiki rigs and some cat food.

Just my .02.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    Squid heads.

Blood worms and ghost shrimp are great baits for the harbor as well. Lots of little fish to be caught, which are always fun for kids. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Reactions: gettingbentwithbo
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    X2 on the anchovies.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Razor clams, shell on, on a leadhead. If you’re coming up with moss you’re in the wrong zone. Mud, rocks, and eelgrass rule for spotties.

mackerel slabs are good, pack your own in rock salt. Ghosties, bloodworms, inkeepers all work great at times too.

I used to hammer and paint tire weights to look like razor clams. Spotties inhaled them. Trolling deep divers or swim baitscan be fun for kids in the harbor too.

Upvote 0

Bchbum54

Oct 27, 2008
    City of Orange
    Name
    Bayron
    Boat
    I Wish I had 1
    Mission Bay is a great place to take kids. If you rent a skiff for $70 I think? It's more than a fishing trip, it's an adventure. I live in Orange about a 20 minute drive to Newport but I always take my daughter and any of her cousins/friends to Mission Bay. Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Reactions: Noah & Scoot
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    1/4oz leadhead and bass assasin or chartreuse grub 3-4 inch.

gettingbentwithbo
    gettingbentwithbo
    Can you bait and wait with it? I am hoping for something that I can cast for them and they will just hold it till they get bit
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    IMG_20210424_124510908.jpg

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    1/4oz leadheads, with a 2-3inch motoroil grub, with squid tentical

Reactions: gettingbentwithbo
    Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Believe it or not, deadstick a dropshot sandcrab if they're around. Almost as good as ghost shrimp but cheaper.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Don't over think it. Dropshot fresh squid, sardines or anchovy chunks. Stick to size 4-6 hooks. Salted anchovies or sardine will work if fresh bait is inconvenient to get. If you want to use plastics get any colored gulp mullet or sandworms. Spotties will eat anything it seems. I've seen people at piers catch them back to back with KFC chicken skins and hotdogs.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    A lot of good advice above.

Sounds like a good opportunity to teach the boys to cast and retrieve. Almost guaranteed they wont miss the water on a boat.

If you need a break from the tangles, go for a little troll action. The cheapo rapala type freshwater bass baits sold at Walmart have produced well for me on spotties trolling the harbor rocks in LB.

Plus, if they are like my 4 yo son, they wont be too interested in the bait and wait game (unless using live finbait).

My boy has more fun than anything casting/retrieving and fondling the grubs, weights, swimbaits, and any fish we catch. I dont fish when he is fishing as his tangles and snags keep me busy.

This 3yo Aussie is putting the wood to the the fish.

Upvote 0

Jeff Hannah

HALIMOTO
    Sep 9, 2016
    Hb
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Play the Red
    D1EED297-C235-4F17-8420-F04FC0C8EE6D.jpeg

This is yesterday in Newport with live smelt a fish finder rig 10-12 lb and 1/0-2/0 octopus hook Gets them for me every time if not a hali which is what I’m going for but I catch a lot of spot ties biggest just over 21” ,so my vote is for live smelt with a bubbler

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    View attachment 1275404
    This is yesterday in Newport with live smelt a fish finder rig 10-12 lb and 1/0-2/0 octopus hook Gets them for me every time if not a hali which is what I’m going for but I catch a lot of spot ties biggest just over 21” ,so my vote is for live smelt with a bubbler
    Where do you catch the smelt?

Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    View attachment 1275404
    That 21inch spottie is near record breaking size. Must had a big head and belly. Biggest I've ever seen in person was just over 18 inches.

Upvote 0