Surfersteve79

Almost A Member
Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
About to pop the cork and purchase a reel for the Cow and Super Cow Tuna here off San Diego, CA. Some of the factors I'm considering are from past trips and what the application is going to be for.
1. The largest fish will most likely be on a kite which my new reel will probably never see that action due to fishing mostly on sports and not a private boat. So that being said anything over say 650-700yds of line isn't critical
2. Last fall larger fish WERE including a 292lb fish caught on fly lined sardines & macks on a long plunger style drift on Tanner Bank...so this reel will need to be ready for the call to fish live bait
3. Night time flat fall fishing will be the name of the game mostly on this reel. Guys fishing heavy 30-50 sized+ reels were tapping out left and right due to fatigue as the night wore on due to the weight the reels and rods caused. (I was using an Avet HX Raptor and was doing alright)

That being said the "Unicorn" seems to be Accurate's BV2-Valiant 1000...BUT...that reel imo hasn't had enough case studies to 100% convince me if I lock into a large Cow or Super Cow it isn't going fail. They did have a 420lb Yellowfin caught on this particular reel but a Yellowfin and a Bluefin is a whole different story. Still Im inclined to buy this reel since they are nearby in So Cal for servicing, it has the line capacity for 130lb hollow core, drags about right, and for it's un-challenged weight compared to the competition

The other considerations have been a Shimano Talica 25ii, Makaira 30, Penn Int VISX 20, Avet EXW 30/2. I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck and look to hold onto this reel for quite a long time. Interesting to see what you guys think?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Given that you are considering the TAC25, in the same line capacity class, you may also want to add the Torque TRQ60LD2 [which is also similar in size/weight to the HXWRaptor], and the International 16VISX.
16VISX= 36 ounces; 20VISX= 51 ounces.
If you are set on going with 130 braid, the reels in this size category probably will not give you what you want. However, the 16VISX is a beast and can handle supers no problem mechanically, but within the limitations of its line capacity.

Upvote 0

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Name
Esteban
Boat
sold
I fish a 20 visx. 700 yards 100lb hollow core
Landed a 275 bft last year. Never felt outmatched because of gear at all.
Great bang for buck in my opinion.
I also have a hxw but have not been “challenged “ with it yet to give an opinion on but it’s is an avet and they make a great product.

Reactions: Surfersteve79
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I have the Maks I have the Penns I have the ATD's......if you want just the best get a Accurate topless 30 ATD send it to Cal for free spool....expensive, high maintenance but IMO the best drag system on the market......that being said I now use Mak SEa's on my cow trips

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
If you're going to be serious about fishing the flat fall, the Talica is easier to wind all night compared to a Mak 30/50, IMO. Might hurt a bit more once hooked up, but you need to fish the jig to get bit in the first place, and as you noticed, most tap out pretty quick once they see what flatfalling really looks like. A 25 loaded with 100lb solid will make a great sardine reel as well, at least I felt that way compared to the boat Mak 30s in PV fishing cabbies.

Upvote 0

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
If you're going to be serious about fishing the flat fall, the Talica is easier to wind all night compared to a Mak 30/50, IMO. Might hurt a bit m
Ok, if you're serious about fishing...fish the Talica.. if you're serious about catching, fish the visx or the sea☠️

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Here’s my 2 cents. If I’m fishing big fish, I want a drag that hold up. If at Lupe something that will get passed Whitie. That being said. Get a Mak, or Accurate ATD or Penn VISX, or Avet 30. See what the max drag is and line capacity and weight. I like both my Mak 30 and ATD 30. I have 50 Avet and older 50 wide penn int’l. Any of these will at least give you a chance to land the fish.

Upvote 0

Surfersteve79

Almost A Member
Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Mak SEA’s get a lot of votes...no one has even mentioned the Accurate BV2 1000 which was interesting. I dont have the $$ for an ATD so I think I’ll try to track down a barely or slightly used Mak get it serviced to be sure. Which leads me to another question who does servicing on these? Do they all need to go back to Okuma and what’s their customer service and turn around times?

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Mak SEA’s get a lot of votes...no one has even mentioned the Accurate BV2 1000 which was interesting. I dont have the $$ for an ATD so I think I’ll try to track down a barely or slightly used Mak get it serviced to be sure. Which leads me to another question who does servicing on these? Do they all need to go back to Okuma and what’s their customer service and turn around times?

If you purchase a new Mak you get a 5 year warrenty which includes free servicing at the Okuma site in Ontario.....their service IMO is excellent and depending on the repairs needed turnaround is good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0