Best 3/4 or one day boats?

Dbado1

Jul 17, 2020
Arizona
Name
Robert D Bado
Boat
Toyota tundra
What 3/4 or 1 day boats out of SD fishing the Islands and local waters targeting Yellowtail,etc. do you guys recommend?
Just returned from another disappointing 1.5 day trip. From now on I'm either going long or staying local. Thanks!

Reactions: FishAcquisition

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
What 3/4 or 1 day boats out of SD fishing the Islands and local waters targeting Yellowtail,etc. do you guys recommend?
depends on what your needs are.
pure talent/experience of "The 'Nados" = "Booger"
creature comforts EG Bunks = Those others: Grande/Liberty

finally, it's called "Fishing" NOT CATCHING! so don't be "That Guy" when you have an "Off Day"...

i notice you're from AZ so be sure to do your homework and stack as much info together before planning your trip...

otherwise go multi-day... same rules apply.

Reactions: konared and Dbado1

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Steve Peterson is taking the Belle out offshore Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week or you can jump on her to the Nado's also. I'll fish her Tuesday, 9-22. @bdubs73 has my choices in the correct order as well but they're all booked solid next few trips and I'd rather go with only 25 on board...

Reactions: Dbado1

MrBob

Donde estan los peces
Jun 28, 2020
Yorba Linda
Name
Robert Slack
Boat
na
I'm an Orange County boy and if you want to drive north for a great 1 day at a fantastic price of $100 then I highly suggest you head to Dana Wharf and head out on the Dana Pride. I fished this boat for the first time last Friday and it was fantastic. Light load. Friendly people, fantastic boat, and excellent crew!

Dbado1

Jul 17, 2020
Arizona
Name
Robert D Bado
Boat
Toyota tundra
IME, the 1.5 day trips are like a " Hail Mary pass" ... either hero or zero. They are long enough to motor out to where, hopefully, the fish are biting but too short on time to make a correction and go somewhere else if they are not.
As for doing research...that is what I'm doing right now by asking my question. I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
If you live close to SD the San Diego is the fishiest boat you wanna ride. Then Liberty and Grande are both fishy boats and great for those who drive longer from SD as they have Bunks!

Tightlines.

bdubs73

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
IME, the 1.5 day trips are like a " Hail Mary pass" ... either hero or zero. They are long enough to motor out to where, hopefully, the fish are biting but too short on time to make a correction and go somewhere else if they are not.
As for doing research...that is what I'm doing right now by asking my question. I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.
Honestly, I would say this description fits an overnight trip or 3/4 day more accurately than the 1.5 day. The 1.5 day gives you greater ability to travel to where the fish are if needed, if not it gives you an entire day to fish vs. 1/2 day of fishing on an overnight, or a 3-4.5 hour window on a 3/4 day.
Maybe this is more about setting expectations, on an overnght you expect less, on a 1.5 day trip the expectations get bigger. If you are coming from AZ. I would consider just doing a 2 day if you can swing it.

Dbado1

Jul 17, 2020
Arizona
Name
Robert D Bado
Boat
Toyota tundra
I've had some really good 2+ day trips. The only two trips that I've been on where the entire boat was skunked was 1.5 days. Thanks again.

Dbado1

Jul 17, 2020
Arizona
Name
Robert D Bado
Boat
Toyota tundra
Fish all you want and make dumb cliche excuses for your failures. I'm gonna try and maximize my catching by asking questions and listening to relevant suggestions. We all know the deal.

Reactions: FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
depends on what your needs are.
pure talent/experience of "The 'Nados" = "Booger"
creature comforts EG Bunks = Those others: Grande/Liberty

finally, it's called "Fishing" NOT CATCHING! so don't be "That Guy" when you have an "Off Day"...

i notice you're from AZ so be sure to do your homework and stack as much info together before planning your trip...

otherwise go multi-day... same rules apply.
Wow you are so smart. Super at being unhelpful and a jerk.

“Fishing not catching”Where did you get your Doctorate Einstein?(Theory of Relativity).

Fishing not Catching, Huh, Never heard that before...

Don’t look now but you are “That guy” (how catchy, your cool).

You have convinced me, you are the smartest guy here.

Last edited:

MatthewC

No. The Albacore are not coming back this year.
Jan 17, 2015
San Diego
Name
Matthew Carlin
Boat
Floating Kind
I almost only ride the San Diego. I trust the crew and have had amazing experiences with Booger. Everyone is going to have an opinion of which boat is best and what boats are catching the most fish. Best way to do it is to not to pay attention to anyone else's opinions. Look at the counts and compare against the rest of the fleet, ride the ones you're interested in, and find one you have confidence in. If I go out on the San Diego and we do not have a very productive day, I know that I still had a great time and that the fish just didn't cooperate. I know that it wasn't due to a lack of effort or knowledge of the captain/crew. Once you find that kind of confidence in a boat and crew, you will be set.

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Can’t go wrong with Booger or Matt on the San Diego. I will however say that full day fishing is certainly more of hail mary fishing than the overnight or 1.5 day trips. The full day boats are often fishing the same zone as the aforementioned boats, and have much less fishing time to get the job done, and just don’t have the time to make a big move if need be.

So fishing wise that means your decision making and ability to capitalize on opportunities becomes that much more critical.

Also take into consideration the passenger loads on the full day boats are more, so you will be sharing the rail on a drifting boat with more anglers.

And on top of that consider the type of anglers who fish the full days, there’s generally many novice anglers with little and often times no experience.

Imo the best thing for you to do is ride some of the recommended boats and find what crew and operation you jive with. That way if the fishing is tough (which everyone will experience at some point) you can go home content knowing the captain and crew worked hard to try to put you on fish.

Dbado1

Jul 17, 2020
Arizona
Name
Robert D Bado
Boat
Toyota tundra
Thanks, Mark. This is why I asked... I've never done the 3/4 or 1 day boat and had no idea that they would motor out as far as the 1.5 day boats. The 1.5 that I was recently on went all the way to San Clemente. I had assumed that the 1day trips would stay closer to fish the islands, etc. and that you would get a good amount of fishing time due to the fact that the boat wasn't traveling as far and that the boat wouldn't be too far from another spot to make a correction if necessary (fishing the local islands). Thanks guys for all the great suggestions!

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
I've been on 4 full day boats this year with nothing in the freezer. I must be a real failure at fishing too.:rolleyes: Now, that means that I didn't catch fish, I've caught a ton of fish...bonito, barracuda, bass, as well as some small yellowtail. They all went back to grow up. Wasn't my day..but I still go. If you go out with the mentality that you are going to limit out and fill your freezer, you obviously haven't been fishing too long. This happens all the time.

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Thanks, Mark. This is why I asked... I've never done the 3/4 or 1 day boat and had no idea that they would motor out as far as the 1.5 day boats. The 1.5 that I was recently on went all the way to San Clemente. I had assumed that the 1day trips would stay closer to fish the islands, etc. and that you would get a good amount of fishing time due to the fact that the boat wasn't traveling as far and that the boat wouldn't be too far from another spot to make a correction if necessary (fishing the local islands). Thanks guys for all the great suggestions!
I’m getting a little bit mixed up as to what type of trip you are looking at, and what your intended target species is. None of the San Diego landings run 3/4 day trips, at least that I’m aware of. Just 1/2 day local fishing, full day offshore (or Coronado Islands depending on the best viable option at the moment), overnight, 1.5 day and so on.

There are 3/4 day trips on the boats further north that fish the local stuff, as well as Catalina island. On 3/4 day boats fishing Catalina you’re looking at a minimum of 4 hour travel time to and from the island so that’ll take a big chunk of your fishing time right there, and even more so if the boat goes to the back side of the island.

But if we’re talking offshore pelagics yes the overnight and 1.5 day boats often fish in the same zone as the full day boats, depending on where the captains feel their best option is. Sometimes that could be just 15 miles from the harbor. And on the contrary I’ve been 40+ miles out on the San Diego full day before.

No they cannot fish Clemente, but the captains of the San Diego, Liberty, and Grande are 100% willing to (literally) go the extra mile to an area if they believe it’s their best shot at giving their passengers an opportunity to catch fish.