Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
Going to be lots of opinions, but for Nor Cal I’d stick with a pilot house. For resale value and sea worthiness I’d go Northriver O/S up here if you can find one in that price range. I run a 25’ skipjack, but if I were in the market again, I’d be looking at a Farallon 2300, Stiegercraft 23 Miami, Parker 23, Northriver O/S 23 if I could find one, Sea Sport 2400, Osprey 24... of course I’d want twin outboards so the east coast boats would probably come off the list unless I went up to a 25, but then the Anderson Rock Harbor would get put on top of the list. I’ve always liked the Shamrocks and would love to have one with a diesel. Definitely keep the shammy mackinaw on the list. Lots of good options out there with your budget.

Upvote 0

dctrjayyy

Jun 27, 2005
Tustin
Name
Joshua
Boat
whaler
Farallon, Davis, Radon, Anderson, Seasport, Osprey, etc.

Or you can go second tier with the Parkers, Steigers if you need to.

Or you can get an aluminum north river if you don't run far or have a rubber spine

Upvote 0

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
Let's throw in another factor...trailerable or slip kept?
I currently have a 23.5 Duckworth on a trailer but I'd buy a heavy glass pilothouse if it was slipped.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2020
Marin County
Name
Alex
Boat
Shamrock 200 cuddy
I would love to buy any Radon Anderson or Davis but below 70k it’s hard aluminum are nice and low maintenance but I also have heard that the seaworthiness of an aluminum is nothing compared to a deep v fiberglass

Upvote 0

dctrjayyy

Jun 27, 2005
Tustin
Name
Joshua
Boat
whaler
Lately boats have been ridiculous. Before covid if you were patient, you could find a Davis or Radon under that. Now, not so much. Farallons sometimes

Reactions: sbsurfer
Upvote 0

sfjakey

Jun 3, 2009
Novato, Ca
Name
Bob Postel
Boat
Davis Rock Harbor Short Cabin "Full Box"
70k takes you out of the running for a lot of good quality boats. I know of a good Parker 2820 in Ft Bragg that will be coming in the market, but at a higher price than 70k

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I would love to buy any Radon Anderson or Davis but below 70k it’s hard aluminum are nice and low maintenance but I also have heard that the seaworthiness of an aluminum is nothing compared to a deep v fiberglass

really depends...the aluminum boats 22’ and less are typically more geared towards river and inside fishing.
    The larger ones were build with offshore in mind. Just pay attention to dead rise and the weight of the boat. I would only want self bailing deck and 21 degrees of deadrise in a offshore boat. Lots of other variables to consider as well.

Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    Looking for a very seaworthy ocean boat for 40K-70K love my Shamrock 200 but I want to replace it with something bigger and more reliable yet still trailerable

As has already happened, there are going to be lots of opinions and different boats to look at.

My dad upgraded from a Striper 2150 to a Parker 2320 about 5 years ago and we've been nothing but happy with it. Lots of people say that Parkers slam, but... if you trim it right and set your speed properly you're not going to slam. Going from point A to B doesn't have to be at WFO throttle.

Besides the crazy deck space this boat gives you, the pilot house has been one of the best things about this boat. We do a lot of salmon fishing from Avila to Monterey and those cold foggy or cold windy days is much easier to handle with a nice enclosed cabin. :D

Just my 2 cents from a personal experience.

Upvote 0

mr_mbuna

May 14, 2017
    San Francisco, CA
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Robalo R227
    The best way to get a $70K seaworthy boat in California is to watch the Miami Craigslist and go tow something back (or pay a hotshot trucker $3K to do it for you).

Upvote 0

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
  • Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat
    passenger again
    The best way to get a $70K seaworthy boat in California is to watch the Miami Craigslist and go tow something back (or pay a hotshot trucker $3K to do it for you).

Ugh... But most likely solution. Dot forget the the surveyor too.

Upvote 0