Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Was thinking of going on the independence (Indy) for John Collins trip for January 2022. Is this a good month and trip to go on to reach those cow yellowfin tuna? Looking for a 16day that primarily fishes for cow tuna. Thanks ted

Reactions: hagridfish

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
The fact that several boats fish 15 and 16 day trips around that time suggests that it probably is. But, of course, every year is different...

Reactions: Statistico

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
The fact that several boats fish 15 and 16 day trips around that time suggests that it probably is. But, of course, every year is different...
Yes just trying to plan ahead I heard and read December and January are good months down south... this is my first long trip so just taking as much info as possible thanks

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Indy great boat. Borrow the real heavy gear from the boat 100lb rod and reel, line and up,save a whole bunch of money. Long boat ride 4Day ride to Hurricane Bank. Tackle keep it simple. Mono to fluro to hook. Go on utube and study and read. Best advice go on the Indy best food best layout. You really do not need too much stuff. Good Luck

Reactions: Tedward2020

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
16 days on the Indy can’t beat it. Matt is awesome food is great. These trips are big tuna and wahoo trips. Fishing locations vary year to year. But primarily a tuna wahoo trip.

Reactions: LEGALWISE

talltales

Oct 22, 2004
Ridgecrest Ca
Name
ron
Boat
2359 Trophy
Take the Indy trip. cow tuna and Wahoo, if you gotta travel uphill, the Indy is one of the best boats to do it on. Rooms are nice crew/food is great. John has lot's of giveaways and does a raffle on each trip. Bring extra cash for the raffle usually $100 I think to get max tickets for the raffle (all for charity).

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Was thinking of going on the independence (Indy) for John Collins trip for January 2022. Is this a good month and trip to go on to reach those cow yellowfin tuna? Looking for a 16day that primarily fishes for cow tuna. Thanks ted
Ted I have fished every month Oct. - June for the Cow Tuna. Jan. and Feb. are my go to months. Those months seem to be the best months. Every year can be different but those months just seem to have less sharks around year in and year out. Some years the sharks just never go away but given the 16 days you can go to different spots and I always tell guys if your going to do a 15 day try to do a 16 or even an 18 day. The Indy is a great fishing platform and the crew is very helpful. John is a great charter master and has a wealth of knowledge.

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Ted I have fished every month Oct. - June for the Cow Tuna. Jan. and Feb. are my go to months. Those months seem to be the best months. Every year can be different but those months just seem to have less sharks around year in and year out. Some years the sharks just never go away but given the 16 days you can go to different spots and I always tell guys if your going to do a 15 day try to do a 16 or even an 18 day. The Indy is a great fishing platform and the crew is very helpful. John is a great charter master and has a wealth of knowledge.
I think I’m sold on the 16 day gives me time to drive across states from NC .... that way I don’t have to ship all that fish if I catch anything big haha

Reactions: Soda Pop

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
The Indy does not offer a fly back option. That being said I enjoy the time riding up. Good food, friends just kicking back. Im never in a rush to get back to reality.
Me too, I don't mind the ride back too much. Get a lot of rest, play some cards, watch some movies, read, clean your reels, and then maybe catch some football games once you get north of Alijos.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
IMO, ride downs/ride backs just don't work anymore. Clipperton? Yes, if we ever get to go back there.
If they open the Revillas, and you can work the inner islands out or work back in at end of trip? Yes, flying makes sense.
The time lost going to and from the Cape is wasted if you ask me.

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
IMO, ride downs/ride backs just don't work anymore. Clipperton? Yes, if we ever get to go back there.
If they open the Revillas, and you can work the inner islands out or work back in at end of trip? Yes, flying makes sense.
The time lost going to and from the Cape is wasted if you ask me.
Well points taken I just want to catch some cows pv hurricanes bank etc anywhere works for just my first Lr trip

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Well points taken I just want to catch some cows pv hurricanes bank etc anywhere works for just my first Lr trip
PV is hit and miss, no doubt, but I sure like only being gone from home and work for 5 days and having 3 full days of cow chasing!

Reactions: SCHeadhunter

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
what is it?36 hours from clarion to Cabo?18 hours from hurricane to clarion?

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Yes and Yes. And your point is fishing time is subtracted. Almost always at Hurricane the skipper has to hang out to see if there is a night bite even if signs do not look good.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Yes, 54 hours from HB to Cabo, 2.5 days or thereabouts.
Roughly 3.5 days from HB to San Diego, without sitting in a bar/ airport all day, I’ll take a direct drive myself.

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
If I wanted to chase Cow tuna I would definitely fish PV. Watch the reports and then go when it’s good. Fly in, fish three days fly home. Honestly I don’t see the point of a San Diego 16 day trip. I don’t have that kind of time to burn to maybe have good fishing at the hurricane. Without the islands I just don’t get it. And I’m sorry fellas I don’t want to spend 16 days just hanging out because I got Time to burn.
I pray the islands will reopen but I don’t see it happening in my lifetime!

Reactions: No Cal Lou