Best 1.5 Day 3700 Size Tackle Bag Comparison - Being Respectful of Space

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Tackle bag storage is always a sensitive issue on the big boats.

Some people bring a tiny amount of tackle and some others bring massive amounts of stuff even on 3/4 to 3 day trips and create stockpiles around their bunks or staterooms that might create fire hazards for others.

I remember when the Okuma Nomad rolling tackle bag was a relatively new phenomenon a few years ago. I didn’t think I needed one but I bought one about 3 years ago and really thought it was cool.

Until more and more people had them and I realized you could only fit them on the top shelf of most tackle storage racks.

This created tension for me. You simply can’t fit the rolling nomad bag under most tackle rack shelves on many of the local short range boats.

I picked up a freshwater model Plano 3700 bag that could hold 4 3700 boxes to help me simplify things and make sure I would always have a tackle bag that could fit into any space and make sure I would always have my tackle in an easily accessible space.

I just wanted something that could hold 3700 sized boxes since that’s almost the standard size these days for every “large tackle bag” system and it was awesome, but just a little too small.

And then I saw the Okuma Nomad ANT-RBL bag and I thought it was going to be totally perfect. It can hold six 3700 boxes. And it’s shallow enough so that you can open it and pull out your tackle boxes even if it’s on a lower rack.

For comparison, the Okuma Nomad Rolling Tackle Bag actually holds only five 3700 boxes! And it’s seven inches higher than the RBL bag!

Two downsides to this bag, in my opinion

One, it’s not a rolling bag and it’s obviously heavier to carry especially if you have tons of lead in the bag!

And two, I think Okuma needs to find better zippers for their bags. The ones they have seem to be good for one or two years and then they break.

Definitely gonna be a little too easy to fill up 6 3700 boxes and make that bag pretty heavy to carry!!! But I think it’s gonna work out!

Having a hard time attaching pictures from my phone. See picture below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Picture finally resized and attached below. The shallower bag holds 6 3700 boxes and is 7 inches shallower than the Nomad rolling bag that holds 5 3700 boxes and is much higher and (according to some) more prone to tipping over. No rod holders on this bag, though!

Attachments

• Okuma Bag Picture Resized 1 .jpeg
    Okuma Bag Picture Resized 1 .jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Just noticed there’s a bit of a problem with the shoulder strap on the Okuma bag I just picked up. It’s really short.

The shoulder strap on the freshwater Plano 3700 bag I have that can hold 4 boxes is much longer and much more comfortable for me.

That’s kind of a concern. Try to carry a bag full of 40-50 pounds of tackle even a short distance and that’s a really good way to throw your back out of whack.

Hmm. Gonna have to think about this a little more. Maybe try to find a replacement shoulder strap with the same kind of snaps. But that’s also added money and time too.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
Get one of those instacarts folding carts since it has no wheels...then fold it and stash it somewhere out of the way during your trip. I use one with even the smaller 3600 sized bags because i hate long walks from the parking lot to the counter and dock lugging a lot of weight on one shoulder.

Reactions: OldDawg_NewTricks
Upvote 0