Best 1.5 - 3 Day "Starter" Trip?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by gfg, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Mr GreenJeans

Mr GreenJeans Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Kayak
    X2

I don’t recall seeing any Long Range boats offering deals at FH in recent years. But I book my trips well before FH so I wasn’t really looking for boat deals and might have missed them. Better to find your trip and get some money down. (Hint: longer trips are better!)

stephen campbell likes this.
  2. makomiko

makomiko makomiko

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 12
    I wouldn't wait until Fred Hall as stated above, I am pretty sure all the boats mentioned have a website where you can go to and ask them about your concerns.

3. Lundalakan

Lundalakan Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Lund alaskan
    Look at some of the LR boats websites schedules. Some do have early season short trips. Iirc the American Angler used to do several. The problem is that early season does not hold a lot of promise for Pelagics normally. You might be better off if you fly Southwest to Cabo or PV if you want pelagics during the time of year the big SD boats run shorter trips.

4. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    If you are scoping out boats for Long Range trips, stick with riding boats that fish those trips. with your families caviar appetite, stick to the "Big 3" - Indy, Excell, and Intrepid. but to start.....Your Dad probably wont like the dining table height vs sitting height on the Intrepid....unless he is 6'6" or taller

You obviously haven't stepped foot on a true LR boat or you wouldn't be saying that "a stateroom would be ideal". The only question of the Big 3 is which 3-man stateroom - and nearby bath - are you going to like the best.

then check to see which boat has kept its galley crew/5 star chefs the longest....and will they be working on YOUR trip.

If you aren't willing to pay the extra money for a short trip on one of these 3, then your stated "Comfort / accommodations will be important" wont come in to play.

5. rick Jackson

rick Jackson "Carpe diem"

Name:
    RIP Jim Peterson
    Boat:
    Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
    The Condor out of Fisherman's Landing has those
    type of trips beginning around Memorial day
    thru the summer months. It's comfy and fishy.:beerbang:

6. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    X2

arkansastuna likes this.
  7. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Spend the extra money and forget about finding a deal for the best expirience. Find one of the bigger boats that do longer trips and read the reviews online here or elsewhere. Not many chances for you to take a trip with you all together. And bunks stacked 3 high suck if your old. Time is more important than a few extra dollars
    Best of luck to you and hope your trip turns out great

stephen campbell likes this.