Bent rod tip eye guide and thoughts how it can affect fighting a monster.

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by Bizzidy, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Bizzidy

Bizzidy Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    16’ Weldcraft Jet
    Hey guys and gals,
    I’ve been collecting a few rods to use on a quick 1.5 day trip out of Seaforth in SD. I’ve ordered a few rods on Amazon but twice in a row the tip eye guide has been smashed from poor packaging/shipping.
    I picked up a Penn Carnage 2 30-80 lb rod, 7’ boat casting rod and it made it unscathed. However the 6’6” 50-130 lb rod if same model has come with a bent tip eye twice. I am PO’d to say the least since my boat leaves Saturday this week.
    One option i have is to gently bend the tip back to as close to original as I can and fish it anyway. The other option is to send it back and get my money back and buy from the local store (which unfortunately does not have the exact same rod). I’d have to buy something similar to this rod.
    Do any of you think bending the tip back will have an impact on bringing in fish? B/c if you say, “I do that all the time since getting bent tips is common and it never affected my fishing” then I’d say screw it and use it.
    But if you say, “yeah I’ve fished a bent tipped rod and lost a monster because the rod will not perform” then I’ll not chance it.
    I’m not a newb fisherman but do appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks, Matt

C97D16E0-D4E2-4BF6-AE55-C6994284C395.jpeg 44D6C94E-36C6-4291-8082-E6B30273F03D.jpeg

2. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    That is about as bent as I get on overnighters.

Mr. Sunshine and Bizzidy like this.
  3. Bizzidy

Bizzidy Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    16’ Weldcraft Jet
    I know. Might be a beer drinking float on the pacific. Beats a day of work any day.

4. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Dude, run that over to your local tackle shop. They will repair it in about 40 seconds and it should run you about $10 bucks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  5. Bizzidy

Bizzidy Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    16’ Weldcraft Jet
    That’s the best advice I’ve heard all day!!! Thanks.

6. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

The best rod repair/custom rod guy in the north state is in Chico; Jim Clarkson at "Raptor Rod Works".

Bizzidy likes this.
  7. DennisV

DennisV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    It's not the bent part you need to worry about.

It's the tiny unseen crack in the ceramic alconite zirconium unobtainium insert that will break your heart and ruin your life.

Replace the damn thing at once. Easy to do yourself, Youtube it

8. luckylogger6

luckylogger6 Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    none
    I live in Cottonwood and not much for local rod builders that keep salt water stuff on the shelf. Maybe Raptor rod works does but I would pack it to San Diego with you and get it fixed down there. IF you ever get up to the Redding are Id pull a tip off one of my rods to get you set up...

9. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    Depending on how much time in advance you arrive in SD, you could call ahead to Squidco and try to arrange with Joey to do an immediate tip replacement the moment you arrive at the shop.

Chicago Pete and Olddog8 like this.
  10. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I had a tip broken in transit and was able to get a tackle shop at the landing fix it while I waited to board the boat. It cost $10.

Olddog8 and esgeo like this.
  11. SoCalAngler1

SoCalAngler1 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Pacifico
    Just like stated above any tackle shop worthy of buying any thing from should have tip tops just like the ones your looking for. If they don't run because they don't have a understanding of how you want to fish.

Tip top replacement should take maybe 1 minute to do and should last.

Sorry to hear about the shipping issues but it may not be the fault of the people shipping, just the naivete of the freaks that don't know to handle such gear. I.E shippers

There was good advice about while you head to SD or when in SD to get the tip tops replaced. I personally have done 100's of those, mainly not new gear but is takes just a few seconds to do one rod.

12. SoCalAngler1

SoCalAngler1 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Pacifico
    Just like stated above any tackle shop worthy of buying any thing from should have tip tops just like the ones your looking for. If they don't run because they don't have a understanding of how you want to fish.

Tip top replacement should take maybe 1 minute to do and should last.

Sorry to hear about the shipping issues but it may not be the fault of the people shipping, just the naivete of the freaks that don't know to handle such gear. I.E shippers

There was good advice about while you head to SD or when in SD to get the tip tops replaced. I personally have done 100's of those, mainly not new gear but is takes just a few seconds to do one rod.

13. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    by any chance did you contact amazon and tell them ? perhaps if you do they would send you out replacements PDQ also with feedback, maybe they would have the shippers pack them better next time .... or compensate you for the repairs ....

14. Delorian686

Delorian686 You'll want me around when the zombies come

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    NA
    I've had some bent guides on some setups I've gotten from Amazon. They generally are really good at getting a replacement out to you but sounds like you are probably leaving before they could get it to you. It really is due to the poor packaging. They throw the rods in a huge oversized box with a few feet of packing paper and call it good. No protection at the ends. I had to get a Battle 2 4000 combo replaced twice before I finally got one that wasn't damaged.

What you may try doing is asking for a partial refund of sorts to cover the cost of repairing it rather than having a return and replace. They did that once for me.

I try to buy local but some things are just not around here and I have to get them on Amazon or another site. The Carnage rods specifically are hard to find at a brick and mortar in SD. They are pretty killer though so you should enjoy it.

15. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I can guarantee that the shops that rent out gear at the landing can fix it up really quick. They must have to deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis.

Olddog8 likes this.
  16. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Just head down a few hours early to Seaforth and they for sure can put a new tip on the rod. They do it all the time.

Olddog8 likes this.
  17. Warlord

Warlord Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
    I’ve lost the use of rods when the tip broke or the ring cracked. I now carry an assortment of tips and glue for emergency repairs.

You won’t need much time to get this repaired. It’s a very easy fix. If the emergency repair at the landing doesn’t match the other guides, take care of it after your trip.

18. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    If the quick repair at the landing does not match the rest of the guides who cares. This is not a custom wrap nor a high end rod.

Well I guess it will be a custom rod after the new tip goes on. :-)

19. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Same situation, fixed at H&M the day of departure $10. Ended up hooking and landing a cow with that set up. The tip got rotated during the fight but still stayed attached, but I can only imagine what would have happened if I used the original tip with a suspect inset.

20. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    No
    t a glowing recommendation of their repair skills. Top guides are almost always attached with hot melt glue and only require a lighter and some know how to do it right. They either did not use enough glue or did not get it hot enough or kept moving it around while it was cooling. At any rate it obviously worked which was great for you.​