C.Bergs

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
I'm trying to get a jump on some maintenance before the season starts back up again. I'm looking to install a below-deck helium tank on the 24 Skippy Open. Tried to search the forums, but couldn't find anything regarding an install.

Going to put a 150cf tank below the starboard hatch and have a remote filler above deck.

Has anyone seen any cool builds or have any good ideas on how to keep the tank secure below deck? I'm a very proficient woodworker and also have access to folks that weld aluminum. Doesn't seem like rocket science, but thought I'd ask around to see if someone's done it before or knows about some cool shit I don't know about.

Thanks for any insight!

Reactions: miaf

swizler

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 4, 2006
Local pub
Name
Jay
Boat
27 custom
Just use pipe riser clamps and have your buddy weld it to a mounting plate. you can find them on grainer or mcmaster- carr. They come in stainless, aluminum, and galvanized.

Reactions: C.Bergs

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Just use pipe riser clamps and have your buddy weld it to a mounting plate. you can find them on grainer or mcmaster- carr. They come in stainless, aluminum, and galvanized.
That's a good idea! I'm thinking a right angled mounting plate that can be through bolted through the stringer. Weld the riser clamp on the top. That could be pretty trick!

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
How and where are you going to refill it?
There are a bunch of gas supply companies in LA that can refill it. The tank itself isn't terribly heavy and will be able to come in and out of the hatch as needed.

Any welding supply that sells gas will want your tank hydrostaticly tested.
Yes, absolutely.

Reactions: kbray001

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
wow big waste of money..... sorry..... for the temporary blue fin that don't bite most the time...and will most likely move on soon....

kbray001

Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
wow big waste of money..... sorry..... for the temporary blue fin that don't bite most the time...and will most likely move on soon....
What if he just really likes balloons?

Maybe think about that before blasting someone for absolutely no reason. Haha.

I like the idea. We always get ours filled at party supply stores

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
What if he just really likes balloons?

Maybe think about that before blasting someone for absolutely no reason. Haha.

I like the idea. We always get ours filled at party supply stores
I did not blast anyone , I simply expressed my opinion ....
good luck if you do one....LOL,,,,

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Not that big of an investment and these fish have been around for a long time, now everyone just knows about them due to the internet stars.

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
Not that big of an investment and these fish have been around for a long time, now everyone just knows about them due to the internet stars.
lol I know all about the internal stars... and generally where they are and when.... :)

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
I can't see how it's a waste of money. Catching big bluefin under balloons/kites has been one of the most productive methodologies. Why have a helium tank rolling around my cabin instead of stowed securely and safely below deck? Because I didn't want to spend a little time designing and installing, plus maybe $250? That's fun for me. Who knows how long the bluefin fishery will stay here, but I intend on arming myself with every possible weapon to catch them while I have the opportunity.

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
I can't see how it's a waste of money. Catching big bluefin under balloons/kites has been one of the most productive methodologies. Why have a helium tank rolling around my cabin instead of stowed securely and safely below deck? Because I didn't want to spend a little time designing and installing, plus maybe $250? That's fun for me. Who knows how long the bluefin fishery will stay here, but I intend on arming myself with every possible weapon to catch them while I have the opportunity.
best of luck, to you... to you its a good investment.... to me it's a waste of money... that's my opinion and most certainly have a right to yours....

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
i too love projects! This post perfectly reminded me to mount my helium tank too. Mine is more of a quick strap standing up behind my helm seat.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Get yourself a 17 cubic foot scuba pony bottle.
They are small enough to put nearly anywhere and will fill a bunch of balloons.

albi 26

May 28, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
John
Boat
pursuit OS 385
Just to resurrect. Can you mount a helium tank Horizontally or does it have to stand up? Thanks.