Belize

Discussion in 'Anywhere Fishing Reports' started by Hooops, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Long story - short - I now own a few acres of land oceanfront in Belize - who knows someone there I can talk to? Fishing? Etc.

2. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    wish I could help, it's been many years since I have been there but do have a sense of the lay of the land...but no current contacts.

Where do you have land?

best

3. Capt. G

Capt. G BD Outdoors Contributor

Name:
    Capt. G
    Boat:
    黒潮No.2
    I guess the real question is : Do you own land in Dangriga, or Stan Creek?
    I have been down there three times, and it has , hands down, been my fav place I have visited on planet earth.

As far people to talk to about the "etc", I found the people friendly and the official language is English.
    As for the fishing... a guy like you can figure it out. A guy like you would probably want to get away from the shallow coast line, and out the the bluewater beyond the Cayes....Turneffe Caye is one of my fav destinations....bonefish and tarpon of the fly..on the flats...and it is only a 15 min boatride to the "Elbow"...which drops off in a few boat lengths from shallow reef, to 100 fathoms. Wahoo, Kings, tuna, and pretty much untapped marlin (I caught white and blue marlin).

The say "once you drink the Belizian water...you will come back"..and it was true with me. The local music, called "Punta Rock" is awesome...and remains some of my fav to this date.

Let me know when you are going down, and I will accompanying you as your guide, and mosquito swatter...

John Tuttle, you will be please to know that I field tested some of the first Runbou for Smith Company , back in the day.

4. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
  5. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    You're stoked. Magroves nearby, maybe what, 20 miles to blue water. I fished off of Caye Caulker years ago, just near shore reefs with jacks, cudas, and snappers.

In the rivers where you are at are monster tarpon, and then the reefs to the east are relatively untouched for deep jigging and blue water species. You are well inside the barrier reef in mangrove country so don't expect white sand beaches or much wave action.

But I can't recommend anyone, though once you get down there it should not take long to figure it out.

Best, and good luck. Mellowness is the key to success there :). The locals will challenge you to see if you are afraid of Belizeans of African descent, but you will find many Latinos there too. If you accept them they will immediately accept you. Be very careful in Belize City (notorious cops and drug culture, dangerous place) and there is absolutely nothing to do or see there unless it has radically changed. It was one giant slum when I was there as the old relatively nice capital was destroyed by a direct hit by a hurricane. That's why they moved the capital to Belmopan.

'ja man, salute

6. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    I've fished Belize (northern waters around St Christophers) a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Hooked some huge tarpon on black Pili poppers outside the mangove channels at dusk. Lots of biting insects, however, when the wind stops blowing at sundown. I didn't care much for Belize City (lots of bad dudes there!)

Tony Peña
    "The Roving Angler"

7. bajasurbrad

bajasurbrad Sturgeon Whistle... check

Name:
    Brad Murakami
    Boat:
    Lifetimer 17 ft

If you find the time to hit the Placencia penninsula area look up an old buddy of mine Ajinder who owns and runs Seakunga .... spent 6 weeks down several years ago there hanging out on the cayes and got to know the right 'fishing people' who are born and raised on the cayes....solid bonefishing at Ranguana and many other places...so much fun....awesome characters and what a great little town !

8. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Spent two weeks in Placencia. Loved every minute of it. Great fishing and great people.

j