Beginners luck, jetski trolling

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
After a 2 minute run through of jetski stuff my friend and I launched out of Waianae. It must have been after 8am. Anyway, dropped lines and trolled to black rock. We had planned to try kaena so we picked up the lines and started making it down the coast. Jetski's are fast and fun, that's all I can say... Made it to kaena in just a few minutes without flying off. There were some birds working inside of V so we tried working um. After a while, my friend lost 2 good sized shibi's to sharks and landed a small one and I still had nothing. I gave up and started trying for bigger game. While working the point I got a strike and ended up landing a small mahi around 10lbs. Landing fish on a ski is a little tricky cause the thing always wants to turn. Put that guy in the bag and set up again, but didn't get another strike till we were heading back outside makaha. Another mahi in the bag around 12lbs. Had a blast even though the low gas alert was blasting in my ears from makua. That thing is fricken loud... Good fun trying something new and getting some beginners luck.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Brandon,
Jetski???? What, fishing from boat wasn't challenging enough!LOL I think it's kinda cool to catch pelagics from a jetski......come to think of it, my boat isn't much bigger than one of those guys!:rofl:Good job picking up some ono kaukau fish!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Brandon,
Cool that has gotta be FUN! Just be ready cause you know what's gonna happen...

How's the transom on your boat?

Pat

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Nice! Boating a fish from a jetski must be a real challenge, and one thing's for sure, it's a lot cheaper to run.

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Nice catch, my son and I were on the other jet ski that you saw at the "R" buoy.
Thanks Joey, didn't get to fish at R. The gas was already running low...

Brandon,
Jetski???? What, fishing from boat wasn't challenging enough!LOL I think it's kinda cool to catch pelagics from a jetski......come to think of it, my boat isn't much bigger than one of those guys!:rofl:Good job picking up some ono kaukau fish!
Hey Russell, trying not to run the boat much till I get the transom fixed. Had to get on the water somehow...

Brandon,
Cool that has gotta be FUN! Just be ready cause you know what's gonna happen...

How's the transom on your boat?

Pat
Hey Pat, the ski was real fun. Hooking dinner was a bonus. Wasn't looking for big game, but I was running 2 50's just in case. As for my transom, Paul at PF marine quoted $900 to fix it. He said it's not rotten, still solid, but the seam between the splashwell and the transom separated. Supposedly an easy fix.

There have been some big fish hooked up on those in Kona. Good going, catch a big one. Deliman
Thanks Deliman. My friend hooked a big marlin on Monday, he had no chance with his tiagra 30. Lol.

nice job Brandon.
Thanks Shane, must be the ice...

Nice! Boating a fish from a jetski must be a real challenge, and one thing's for sure, it's a lot cheaper to run.
Thanks Pupule, good thing the mahis were manageable size kine. Cheaper, but wetter.

joeycastaneda

Aug 9, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Name
Joey Castaneda
Boat
Koa - 2010 Yamaha FX HO (Jet Ski)
Hey Scott, I guess it was you and your friend that we saw at R. We did not even get a hit that day but we did go out on Wednesday at Hawaii Kai. We picked up an 1 aku, 1 shibi and 2 mahi mahi.

Blesum

Apr 1, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
Name
Paul
Boat
Yamaha FXHO
*sniffs sadly*

My ski hasn't gotten wet in like a couple of months...

Don't have kids!

Nice going!

BTW, regarding the "Landing fish on a ski is a little tricky cause the thing always wants to turn" part - Sounds like you were idling? Next time, turn the motor off.

You can also keep the ski lined up with the motor off while fighting something by changing where you are sitting/holding the rod even if the fish is going in circles.

-Paul

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
*sniffs sadly*

My ski hasn't gotten wet in like a couple of months...

Don't have kids!

Nice going!

BTW, regarding the "Landing fish on a ski is a little tricky cause the thing always wants to turn" part - Sounds like you were idling? Next time, turn the motor off.

You can also keep the ski lined up with the motor off while fighting something by changing where you are sitting/holding the rod even if the fish is going in circles.

-Paul
Hey Paul, my 1 year old doesn't slow me down too much. I think it's the 3 at once thing that got you. Lol. I wasn't exactly sure how I wanted to land the fish so I tried to keep um swimming next to/behind the ski so it wouldn't wrap anything.

hey !.....
post a pic of the ski trollin setup !
Here's the only pic I got...

Aug 31, 2010
Kapolei
So is anyone still thinking of organizing a jet ski fishing tournament? Just for fun. Nothing too serious. I'm sure I can get a few prizes.