dctalk523

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 28, 2007
City of Angels
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
Looking for a solid beginner board (non-inflatable). Looking to stay under 1k. Would love to hear some recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: rick rouland

rick rouland

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 29, 2015
mission viejo
Name
rick rouland
Boat
12' SUP
We need more info. Where are you wanting to launch from and fish for? Any surf/sup experience?
If you’re in LA, eDUBz on this forum might be able to hook you up.
Not hard to find good used boards under $1k.
If you’re willing to come to Newport I’d be willing to meet you and show you the ropes on a loaner board I keep for friends to use.
PM me if you want
Rick

Reactions: dctalk523

downtime

Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
I like the inexpensive ones that Costco carries in the summer. They are foam 10’6”. U can toss them on the boat and not have to think twice. I had a big 12 foot fiberglass board that was like a piece of fine china. My 2cents.

Reactions: dctalk523

rick rouland

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 29, 2015
mission viejo
Name
rick rouland
Boat
12' SUP
I started a couple of years ago on the Costco foam board and it is very good for bays/harbors. I find it not stable enough to stand and fish much if I’m off the beach.
Hence the question for more info.
Foam boards are by far the most durable and inexpensive even new.

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
If your around Huntington Beach , stop buy and visit Andy from OEX Sunset beach , He has plenty of new and used SUP , he’s right on the water so you can try them out right there ....

Exodus

Jun 20, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
Damon's 26' Shamrock..."Solito"
How you intend to use the board, will determine the type of board to look for.

I live very close to the Agua Hedionda Lagoon, in Carlsbad. I chose a "touring" style board to paddle in there. I have an Amundson Hawaii 12'6" and bought it used, in like new condition, for $650. That was a $1400 board, when new. The board is 29" wide, very stable and pretty fast as well. There are many boards in this category and can be found, used, for much less than retail, just need to be ready when the right deal pops up. I would consider fishing the near shore kelp, on a calm day, with this board. For a fishing specific paddle board, I'd imagine you would want something much more stable.

Buttchaser has great advice, go see Andy at OEX.

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Check out BruSurf paddle boards. To be honest, I haven't paddled one yet, but there are some people that really like them. I've been meaning to pick one up for the surf and quick bay and inshore trips. You might be able to get a good deal on one on an upcoming spring sale at one of the SUP stores or expos that have annual sales events.

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Hello SUPrs',
Do knot know where to post this.
looking for used SUP or kayak for my buddy who want to purchase for camping and family fun.
Thanks guys

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Hello SUPrs',
Do knot know where to post this.
looking for used SUP or kayak for my buddy who want to purchase for camping and family fun.
Thanks guys

Look at Craigslist. That’s where you will find the best deals. Just have an idea of the size you want for fishing. Probably 10’6 to 11’6 and 31” to 32” wide would be the most ideal. Curved nose is probably the most forgiving and a good choice for all conditions.

Reactions: pacificscout

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
A guy on here has one for sale $200 it's the red one. $200 HELLO in brainer buy the thing.

Reactions: pacificscout