Before and After

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by FAT CAT, Apr 30, 2017.

1. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    I really haven't done a lot of repair work in my career, but since moving to Mexico, I get asked to do repairs often. These rods were so butt-ugly that I just couldn't refuse to fix them. They're custom wrapped Seekers that originally were made with cork tape "deckhand" style grips. When they made their way down here the owner found that this type of grip gets very uncomfortable when fighting large fish for an extended time, so he put tuna cord over the cork along with lots of electrical tape. That didn't work either, so they've been sitting un-used for awhile.

I had a couple of old Lakeland two piece seats (chrome plated brass) that were the perfect answer for getting these rods back in the game. Added a second layer of cork tape on the fore-grips and covered everything with X-Flock. Probably still not as comfortable as Hypalon or EVA, but better than before.

BEFORE:

20170421_134752.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_2155.jpg

jiggyn, widgeon, ripped and 3 others like this.
  2. cmepen

cmepen I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Einar Lohner
    Boat:
    Cabo Marine 226
    Night - day! Nicely done. Time to put them to work!

3. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    Nice , it multiplied LOL

Uncle Joe likes this.
  4. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Grant Darby
    Boat:
    Which one?
    Good fix Bill. I sometimes find that the customer is happier with an old rod refurbished than if it was new. But it is more work!! Those came out sweet.

5. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    nice restoration amigo, one question, did you have to take all the cork tape on the rear grip to install the reel seat?

I have "no name brand" deckhand style jigsticks 8ft that I would like to cut from the butt to make it at least 7ft to make it more comfy for a panga use, but I would like to add a reel seat too, for now I would like to dont have to take the cork out but if its really necessary then I might just add one of those fuji slide plate reel seat and call it a day, this will be a spare or leaner rod only

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  6. ready2roll

ready2roll Member

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Native
    I have heard a lot of people reference the difficulty of fishing longer rods from a panga. I have never fished from one so am unfamiliar with the layout other than from pictures or passing one from time to time. What is it about them that makes shorter rods preferred when fishing from one?

7. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Alex, the reel seat I used are two piece. The forward section of the rod has a ferrule that attaches to the seat with a collet nut. They're an old type of seat that I don't think are made any longer. The Fuji plate seat would be a good choice too.

Chris, A panga is any small boat or skiff. Typically here in Mexico they are 18-25 foot and are pretty basic open boats. Longer rods are harder to keep out of the way and we don't really have need for the extra length with the way we fish.

ready2roll likes this.
  8. north coast

north coast Newbie

Name:
    kent
    Boat:
    north coast
    I've done a bunch of restorations in my time. Much more difficult than building something new,from scratch. Every one of them presents its own set of issues. Most require custom innovative updates as you have done here.
    Nice restoration.

9. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Panga is a small boat as Bill said that was normally made for commercial fishing but in Mexico are also used for sport fishing to keep the cost down when starting a sport fishing business and after many many years is an accepted boat to go fishing with its limits and lack of luxury compared with USA small skiff or spor fishing boats.
    on a panga you sometimes cannot move more than few feets the whole trip, sometimes you have to cast when sitted so no need for 8.6 or 9ft jig sticks, the shorter the better, check those rods called "panga rod" from different brands and you will find they are 5ft, 5.5ft and 6ft, well not every panga is equal some had been modify on the interior to be more comfy for the fisherman and guide/captain and to simulate a luxury sport fishing boat but the lenght and width remain the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the next is an actual pic taken by me of a panga I was fishing, as you can see a 9ft long rod will be hitting everywhere on the boat, even to get the fish to the boat the butt will hit the other wall of the panga and the tip of the rod wont be near of the side of the boat, so a 6.6 or 7ft is the normal "long" rods

[​IMG]

Bill, thanks for the info and sorry for hijacking the thread

ready2roll likes this.