Offshore Beautiful Day for a Ride. 6/1 Coronado Canyon to the 302.

PENN

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat
Sea Pro 170DC
Took the work buddy out for a quick trip out west to look for any biters.

out of the rack at 0500, boat in the water at 600, buddy in the boat with ice at 0615, and bait in the tank at 0700ish with no wait again! SD bait was well cured anchovy today. The guys said the sardines they had were poor so they gave us a load of EXCELLANT anchovy. Not a one rolled and they swam like they stole something from you.

Headed out basically due west for a while and hit about three dry paddies over the 9 and the first part of the canyon water there was blue and 64F . Started steering south towards the 371 after getting into the canyon and the water started slowly dropping temp. Never saw another kelp and/or birds for quite a while ended up pointing it towards the 302 and found a nice little kelp there that was also dry. Saw about three or four other boats in that general area but no one looked to be hooked up. Water temp at the 302 was 62.0F.

Had to point it home at 1015 and didn't see anything at all until we got 5 miles SW of PL. There we found some bones playing under the birds. My buddy finally got one of those super chovy to do the job and landed a standard 5lber. I hooked up on the OCT iron and it shook itself loose. We definitely had to leave after that and get it back on the trailer so we could make it to work on time. Got tied up at MCRD at 1300, got the boat loaded, cleaned up, and put away by 1400. Hit the shower at work and was ready to go at 1430 for a 1445 start to our shift.

We got a bone on ice that will get brined tonight when I get home and smoked in the morning. We had a really nice ride as the ocean was super chill today. We would have liked to have at least found a paddy with a YT or two but it wasn't in the cards for today.

Still a really good day on the water.

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I think we heard you on the radio today. We were all over the 9 with no one else around. Found 7-8 nice patties for nada. 64.5 degrees, same nice chovies. Trolled N-S with porps, saw a spot of foamers, (pretty sure after last week!) Nada on the FF. 30 mph both ways. Flat and cloudy. Very quiet from other radio reports. Good luck next time!

Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
    Jun 5, 2012
    La Mesa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Sea Pro 170DC
    Thanks for post, sounds like same crap all week. bones are fun fighting fish for sure. I was there last Sunday and same area for Bones but there were more porpoises eating the bait then the bones. Only managed one.
    My buddy definitely enjoyed getting to pull on one. I don't think he's put anything on the deck for a little while now. Super happy to help him out on that front.

I think we heard you on the radio today. We were all over the 9 with no one else around. Found 7-8 nice patties for nada. 64.5 degrees, same nice chovies. Trolled N-S with porps, saw a spot of foamers, (pretty sure after last week!) Nada on the FF. 30 mph both ways. Flat and cloudy. Very quiet from other radio reports. Good luck next time!
    I was not on the radio much today at all. But you were right there wasn't much info put out today. Best I heard was someone saying they had some paddy YT west of the 371 and a mention of a wolf pack coming through the 302 area.

Upvote 0

jeffkaiser

Almost A Member
    Oct 14, 2005
    escondido, ca
    Name
    Drew Ann
    Boat
    Grady White Adventure 208
    Took a similar route today with similar results. Great sea conditions early then breezy in the PM.
    N9 to S9 then back up along the border almost to the corner. then SE to the 302.
    Found some great looking kelps, all dry but 1. Giant Mola on one with rats underneath but no biters.
    80 mi rt from MB, 25 gallons. Good boat ride!
    Good luck all!

20210601_114159.jpg

20210601_110403.jpg

20210601_110414.jpg

20210601_112407.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
    Jun 5, 2012
    La Mesa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Sea Pro 170DC
    Took a similar route today with similar results. Great sea conditions early then breezy in the PM.
    N9 to S9 then back up along the border almost to the corner. then SE to the 302.
    Found some great looking kelps, all dry but 1. Giant Mola on one with rats underneath but no biters.
    80 mi rt from MB, 25 gallons. Good boat ride!
    Good luck all

I do remember hearing someone on the vhf say they hooked a mola and fought it for 45 or 75 minutes. I was very bummed out for that guy.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
    Jun 5, 2012
    La Mesa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Sea Pro 170DC
    How’d it turn out smoked? Any good? I made some pretty good poke with bonito

I haven't really got into it yet but the few scraps I got off the smoker rack are darn good.

My simple brine on this was 2/3 cup salt, 1/3 cup brown sugar, some dried garlic, and a bit of dark soy sauce. (Was shooting from the hip on this.)

Brined from about 0030 until 0830 today. Sat out to dry on the rack until 1000, in the big chief smoker for about two hours over some alder and then finished in the oven at 200f for 45 minutes.

Upvote 0