Be Safe Out There

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
I am sure most of you guys saw this, and if you didn't take note of the one victim here was not wearing a life jacket. I am in a wetsuit most of the time and only wear a life jacket when I am at work, but diaster can hit anytime.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...g-After-Boat-Capsizes-La-Jolla-400756181.html

There is not a lobster on this planet worth anyones life. Be safe out there and take no chances. Mother nature can be a fickle bitch sometimes.
Rest in peace Mr Nguyen, I never met you, but we share the same interest in lobstering.

Upvote 0

GrabBass1

GrabBass1
May 12, 2009
Menifee, CA United States
Name
Joe
Boat
2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
Thanks for this post. I never used to wear one but now insist anyone on my boat wear one at all times - myself included. The situation on the water can turn seriously dangerous in an instant and there may be zero time to grab your PDF before finding yourself in the water.
Even in very calm water shit can turn on a dime. I know that I never want to have tell the family of a friend that he is never coming home because he did not have a PFD on...

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    I do not always wear mine (in fact, never), but I ALWAYS have one for everybody on board in the easily accessible T-Top storage bag. My wife can't swim, so she MUST wear hers at all times. Period.

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
    May 28, 2006
    Chino,Ca
    Name
    Leonard
    Boat
    Mine
    I wear my Mustang PDF from the time we leave the dock to the time we return, whether Hooping or Fishing its so comfortable there is no excuse not to wear it. You can fish with it on no problem. Some of the guys I fish with have them but store them away, well if shit ever goes down good luck getting it in a panic. Some of my friends boats they bring extras and its either wear it or stay at the dock. Best 300 dollar investment I ever made

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Do yourself a favor and wear an auto inflatable PFD. As stated above things can go South in a second. Even if you are a strong swimmer you may be unconscious by the time you're in the water. They are light and small enough to wear comfortably all day long.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I used to be drunk all the time so I got used to wearing a life vest so I wouldn't get hurt when I fell down in the boat... :food-smil

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I am sure most of you guys saw this, and if you didn't take note of the one victim here was not wearing a life jacket. I am in a wetsuit most of the time and only wear a life jacket when I am at work, but diaster can hit anytime.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...g-After-Boat-Capsizes-La-Jolla-400756181.html

There is not a lobster on this planet worth anyones life. Be safe out there and take no chances. Mother nature can be a fickle bitch sometimes.
    Rest in peace Mr Nguyen, I never met you, but we share the same interest in lobstering.

A reality check indeed, what a shame, always hate to see one of your own go down.

You better be nice to Mother Nature. :imdumb: LMACO! :rofl:

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
    May 28, 2006
    Chino,Ca
    Name
    Leonard
    Boat
    Mine
    Do yourself a favor and wear an auto inflatable PFD. As stated above things can go South in a second. Even if you are a strong swimmer you may be unconscious by the time you're in the water. They are light and small enough to wear comfortably all day long.
    Make sure you buy the Good Mustang PDF with the Auto Pill in it gotta be in the Dink for it to Inflate, also has a manual pull on it. Don't buy the Cheap Shit that can inflate in Heavy rain. Its our lives we are talking about.

Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
    Socal, Poway
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Lund alaskan
    I'll add to the pfd wearing.......check the weather, marine forecast, surf report sites, cams etc. takes less than 5 minutes.
    THEN when you get outside pay attention, boat near the Surfline.....no bueno

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Do the low profile auto inflatables right you face up and out of the water?
    Not sure that anything can gaurantee that but they do offer a lot of bouyancy. 35 pounds of bouyancy which is 2X that of abnormal PFD. Mine is a black Mustang (like hot rail recommends) and has held up very well over 2 years with it. I did not spring for the harness version (more$). Mine does have a handy D ring where I RELIGIOUSLY clip my engine kill switch tether if going over 10 Knots. I have also put a strobe light inside the compartment that holds the float. That would be immediately accessible to turn on when the PFD inflates. There is also a pocket that would be a great place to put a small red Laser pen for signaling, mentioned on a recent similar thread here on BD.
    My girlfriend, Chica Dulce's inflating PFD is Pink and a pull only inflator (not hydrostatic). The pink colored material has not held up in the sun and is very faded. We will be replacing that one soon for an auto version too.

Here is mine:
    www.amazon.com/Mustang-Survival-Inflatable-Hydrostatic-Carbon/dp/B00FS8EYN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479045674&sr=8-1&keywords=Mustang+PFD+auto

Upvote 0

JPeterson

Almost A Member
    Mar 16, 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca, USA
    Name
    Jeremy Peterson
    Boat
    22' Davis Cortez
    In regards to the auto inflating PFDs, there was an article on BD a couple of years ago that illustrated a very real reason NOT to use them. A boat was coming back into the harbor in from fishing a halibut tourney and the weather was total shit. Lots of factors came into play, but ultimately the boat ended up rolling and a couple of guys were trapped underneath. Their auto inflating PFDs did their job and inflated once the men were in the water, but the buoyancy of the PFDs kept them from being able to swim down and out from under the boat! Luckily the skipper (one of the guys trapped) had his knife handy, and he punctured both PFDs so they could swim from underneath the boat. In an interview he said they both would have surely drowned if he had not been able to deflate the life jackets with a knife.

Anyway, at very least its something to take into consideration. After reading the article, I replaced all 4 of the auto inflators on my boat with the manual inflating version.

Upvote 0

Dan Bolander

Jul 13, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Name
    Dan Bolander
    Boat
    Anything that will let me on
    ^^^
    Not sure I agree with whatever article you are referring to. Making the decision to no longer wear a PFD due to one isolated (unfortunate) accident, is like no longer wearing seat belts because of reading where someone survived a car accident because they weren't wearing a seat belt.
    Just sayin....

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    ^^^
    Not sure I agree with whatever article you are referring to. Making the decision to no longer wear a PFD due to one isolated (unfortunate) accident, is like no longer wearing seat belts because of reading where someone survived a car accident because they weren't wearing a seat belt.
    Just sayin....

You need to read what he said again. Nowhere did he say NOT to wear a PFD. Just to clarify, what he did say is that he now replaced all his Auto inflate PFDs to Manual. ;)

The incident that he mentioned was during the 2009 Halibut Classic, and thankfully everyone came out ok, although it was a very hairball moment for awhile.

Bottom line, be aware of you and your boats abilities, always keep a good watch on the weather, always keep a good watch behind you when going in tight along the beach or reefs (watch for the sneaker sets), as well as when entering the jetty channel during a big swell, and most of all, trust your instinct....... when your mind is making you feel in doubt, then screw the ego and do the right thing. Everyone has different abilities in different situations, but there is always another day to play.

Be safe!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
    May 28, 2006
    Chino,Ca
    Name
    Leonard
    Boat
    Mine
    In regards to the auto inflating PFDs, there was an article on BD a couple of years ago that illustrated a very real reason NOT to use them. A boat was coming back into the harbor in from fishing a halibut tourney and the weather was total shit. Lots of factors came into play, but ultimately the boat ended up rolling and a couple of guys were trapped underneath. Their auto inflating PFDs did their job and inflated once the men were in the water, but the buoyancy of the PFDs kept them from being able to swim down and out from under the boat! Luckily the skipper (one of the guys trapped) had his knife handy, and he punctured both PFDs so they could swim from underneath the boat. In an interview he said they both would have surely drowned if he had not been able to deflate the life jackets with a knife.

Anyway, at very least its something to take into consideration. After reading the article, I replaced all 4 of the auto inflators on my boat with the manual inflating version.
    So what he is saying is Buy a Manual pull Vest and when you get knocked out hope someone pulls it for you. I will stick with my Hydro Auto inflate

Upvote 0

Andrey320

May 8, 2013
    Calabasas
    Name
    Andrey
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Dauntless 15
    Is that the story about the Defiance owner? If it is, the lesson there was no vest in a cabin (which I think is not allowed). If not inside, the auto-inflate does have an extra level of protection versus the manual.

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    So what he is saying is Buy a Manual pull Vest and when you get knocked out hope someone pulls it for you. I will stick with my Hydro Auto inflate
    X2
    And a kill switch tether for when you find yourself suddenly waking up in the water and there is a boat there close enough to try and paddle to.

Sorry Mike but it's kinda like saying immunizing your kids is bad because there have been some bad reactions to medicine or as alluded to earlier that seat belts can kill you if you were trapped in a car. For the majority of bad incidences these devices could possibly be the single thing that saves your life.

Agreed that most accidents / incidences are a confluence of several bad decisions and poor planning: boating in bad weather, drinking, navigating too close to shore, overloaded boat, wrong boat, not wearing a life jacket, not paying attention to the waves. Every item you can eliminate from your list reduces your chances for a poor outcome. Shit even a small thing like a slippery deck could cost you your life.
    My boss was heading North about 2 miles off shore of La Jolla, in the fog about 13 years ago with I'm sure some very loud Lynyrd Skynyrd blasting in his Hatteras. He heard a faint yell and was seriously the miracle that saved a man's life. The guys console became detached after a large unexpected wave hit his boat, he went in and the boat kept going. He had been treading water for about two hours and was getting ready to give up. Super lucky guy!

Last, my Dad was a medical examiner. He always told us as kids it's not the first impact that kills you always wear your seat belts. He knew first hand, then head, etc.

Reactions: hotrail20
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Body of missing Huntington Beach scuba diver found off El Segundo

AR-161119730.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Rescue divers search Sunday, Nov. 13, 2016, for missing scuba diver near El Segundo Beach. The search continued Monday, Nov. 14. Courtesy of Los Angeles County Fire Department, Lifeguard Division
    By Larry Altman, Daily Breeze

POSTED: 11/14/16, 9:24 AM PST | UPDATED: 4 HRS AGO

0 COMMENTS

EP-161119730.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Rescuers continued their search Monday Nov. 14, 2016 for a Huntington Beach man who disappeared while scuba diving about 3 miles north of the Manhattan Beach Pier. His body was later recovered. Chuck Bennett/Daily Breeze/SCNG

Rescuers on Monday recovered the body of a 45-year-old Huntington Beach man who disappeared while possibly diving for lobster about 3 miles north of the Manhattan Beach Pier in El Segundo, authorities said.

Sheriff’s deputies located Jeff Tolly’s body about 10:40 a.m. inside a 10-foot-wide intake pipe leading to the NRG Energy facility on Vista del Mar, north of the El Porto beach parking lot. It was unclear what happened once he entered the pipe, which sits in an area where lobster can be found on the rocks and structures.

The area, however, is popular for scuba divers interested in scooping up lobsters. The intake pipes were not turned on, authorities said.

NRG spokesman David Knox said the company had no immediate comment on what happened.

“We are supporting the state and local officials as they investigate this,” Knox said.

One of Tolly’s friends reported him missing about 10 a.m. Sunday. Tolly and the friend motored up the coast from Huntington Beach to dive and fish in the underwater structures near El Segundo, firefighters said.

The boat operator remained aboard to fish. Tolly chose to scuba dive. Lobster season opened Oct. 1. The men planned to reconvene at the same time. The friend called 9-1-1 when Tolly failed to surface, firefighters said.

Tolly was wearing a black diving suit, black fins and a black scuba tank.

U.S. Coast Guard officers, along with Los Angeles County lifeguards and firefighters, searched on boats with the assistance of helicopters late into Sunday night. They continued about 7 a.m. Monday aboard a 45-foot boat. Lifeguards also used a remote-controlled submarine underwater.

Sheriff’s Department divers also combed the water. One would have had to enter the pipe to find Tolly, police said.

Los Angeles County Lifeguard spokesman Spencer Parker said the NRG plant has a history of divers searching for lobsters around it.

“It wouldn’t be uncommon for someone to dive inside the pipe,” Parker said.

The Sheriff’s Department will conduct the death investigation.

Tolly was general manager of a residential and commercial landscaping business in Orange. He had appeared on the PBS show “Garden Smart."

Tolly was husband to wife Kristy and father to three children — Justin, Lacey, and Lucas.

“His family will have closure and we all will mourn together,” friend Lana Briggs Miller wrote on Facebook. “Rest in peace my sweet, sweet friend.”

Following Tolly’s disappearance, friends had posted pleas for prayers for a miracle and thanked First Responders for their work trying to find him alive. Once news broke of his death, friends posted prayers for his family.

“In his rest may he be an angel looking down upon his family, rejoicing in all they do and may his family live in the knowledge that he is watching over them always,” wrote Lori Giovenco. “In his loving honor we smile.”

Parker said divers should always “plan your dive (and) dive your plan” and always use the “buddy system” with at least one more person.

“Diving in confined spaces underwater is very dangerous,” Parker said.

Upvote 0

lobzila

May 2, 2007
    Oside
    Name
    e-man
    Boat
    204 Angler
    I would of thought there is a bar grate across that to prevent something like this? Sad to hear about this. Once again, there is no lobster worth anyone's life.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Putting the PFD's to the side.

R.I.P

Upvote 0

Dan Bolander

Jul 13, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Name
    Dan Bolander
    Boat
    Anything that will let me on
    You need to read what he said again. Nowhere did he say NOT to wear a PFD. Just to clarify, what he did say is that he now replaced all his Auto inflate PFDs to Manual. ;)

The incident that he mentioned was during the 2009 Halibut Classic, and thankfully everyone came out ok, although it was a very hairball moment for awhile.

Bottom line, be aware of you and your boats abilities, always keep a good watch on the weather, always keep a good watch behind you when going in tight along the beach or reefs (watch for the sneaker sets), as well as when entering the jetty channel during a big swell, and most of all, trust your instinct....... when your mind is making you feel in doubt, then screw the ego and do the right thing. Everyone has different abilities in different situations, but there is always another day to play.

Be safe!

The unknown fisherman:p:

You need to read my post one more time...perhaps maybe twice. I was not disagreeing with what was posted, but simply commenting on the article that was mentioned. He stated that he saw an article giving a reason to not wear a PFD. I was only disagreeing with the article he referenced.

Upvote 0