Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
My buddy invited me to fish SCI on his boat, I passed for a couple of reasons. Long story short I'm glad I did. While under way around 9pm 40 miles offshore is flat calm clear sky conditions he collided with another boat with 5 people on board that was heading back to the mainland. They hit almost head on causing the other boat to ride up and onto his port side, notice the prop marks cut into the hull. Luckily nobody was injured or killed and both boats made it back to port with neither taking on water. If there was a third person on my buddies boat that person would have been hurt or killed. My buddies boat is totaled. Here are a couple of pictures, I'm posting this as a heads up and hopefully a learning experience for all of us. Be careful, the ocean is huge until it's not.

IMG_3718.jpg IMG_3727.jpg IMG_3729.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
glad everyone was ok. good on you for sharing also. perhaps more info may help....how did it happen, running at night, fog, what happened?

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
:shake:

glad everyone is safe......now, what exactly were the circumstances?

.....there is no excuse for that, in my book..........but I guess that's why they are called "accidents".......

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
mmmm at night someone should always be on the lookout with the driver , generally speaking 10 /12 mph should be your limit , if you have radar it should be on, all navigational lights should be working...

It appears that their speeds for one or both where faster ... just don't have the time to react at night....

I know many run very fast at night... as in cruising speeds , it's just crazy...

yes glad no one was hurt....

Reactions: dh515
Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
Unbelievable example of poor seamanship on both parties. I would be livid at my "buddy" if I was onboard, planing speeds at night, even with a full moon, will not pass the test in any court of admiralty law.
For the safety on of all onboard, which the captain is ultimately responsible for, night time speeds should be under 12 knots with plenty of time to react .Just leave the dock earlier if you got a long run.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
"Flat calm clear sky conditions".

I'm going to go on a limb here and say both parties weren't paying attention or at least one party had no navigation lights.

Glad your friend and all involved are okay.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now

I'm going to go on a limb here and say both parties weren't paying attention or at least one party had no navigation lights.

so your are speculating ?

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
WOW!
I agree with Mikey there is really no excuse for this.When Im heading out in darkness I will not let anyone else drive.I will watch the radar screen like my life depended on it especially right off the coast...mexican pangas do not use nav. lights.

Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Good to hear no one was seriously hurt. Certainly could have ended much MUCH worse.

Thanks for the post - I'm sure some will heed the warning. A good reminder it can happen to you.

In addition to all the usual safety stuff one thing I'll sometimes do in high traffic lines is jog 1/2 mile or so off that line and run a parallel course . For instance instead of bee lining it straight out of SD bay to Pyramid as soon as you get outside the breakwall go north a 1/2 mile then run to a point 1/2 mile north of Pyramid and then jog back down to my destination.

Again glad no one was hurt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
While under way around 9pm 40 miles offshore is flat calm clear sky conditions he collided with another boat with 5 people on board that was heading back to the mainland.

View attachment 878006 View attachment 878007

so your are speculating ?

Gary, so do you believe under flat calm clear sky conditions and with this accident happening both parties were paying attention??

Somebody certainly wasn't paying attention, that's for sure. At night time let alone day time, nobody should let another unknown boat get that close to them while underway.

Glad everyone came out ok, but damn man, you can call that very lucky (I'd call it a miracle) that nobody got hurt in that mess.

To the poster...... thank you for sharing.... these kinds of stories are really important imo....... thanks!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Wow,glad no one was hurt. So hard inside at night staring at the machines and not dozing off. Dog tired, the drone of the motors,the boat gently rocking. Even with 2 on watch,1 to drive 1 to make sure the driver doesn't nod off. I have no idea how this happened and I'm not speculating about anything just boating at night is a whole different animal.Some scary shit right there

Reactions: Reel hip
Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    wow...that looks like my boat.....a trophy 2352...hope to never see it like that...glad all made it back safe

I would love to see pics of the other boat also...and their story...I think we all can learn from the details from both sides

Reactions: ?? fisherman
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    I would love to see pics of the other boat also...and their story...I think we all can learn from the details from both sides

We could learn alot for sure, assuming they are both up for telling the complete truth on what really went down.

I'm not going to dog on either at this point, as what's done is done and they are all safe which is awesome! Everyone screws up and makes mistakes in their lives, and quite a few times more than once.

I really do hope we can eventually hear the true story of what happened here...... it would be very helpful and an eyeopener for all of us who travel the ocean at night.

Scary stuff!!

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Gary, so do you believe under flat calm clear sky conditions and with this accident happening both parties were paying attention??

Somebody certainly wasn't paying attention, that's for sure. At night time let alone day time, nobody should let another unknown boat get that close to them while underway.

Glad everyone came out ok, but damn man, you can call that very lucky (I'd call it a miracle) that nobody got hurt in that mess.

To the poster...... thank you for sharing.... these kinds of stories are really important imo....... thanks!

I really don't know , clear skys, but dark, i would venture to say speed was a factor , and like you said not paying attention...

lucky that they all came away with out injury or worse..

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    That fiberglass looks like cardboard. It would be interesting to see some close up pics of that.

And I too hope this can be a learning experience for all of us. Frankly, I think this could have happened as easily during the day, especially if either boat had its nav lights on. Seems like it could have been avoided by either party (please excuse my speculation), and it sure looks like at least one boat was going planning speed. When I am heading anywhere at night, I try not to stay on a line between two major points, for example the south end of SCI and point Loma. A properly tuned, quality radar would certainly have picked up either vessel. Falling asleep is a big risk, and it happened once on my boat. Ever since, we have two guys at the helm throughout the night, on staggered, two hour shifts. And I keep the radar and AIS alarms set in my stateroom too, so even if I am not on watch, I should know 30 minutes before there is a problem. And inexperienced crew are instructed to wake me even before that. There is certainly lots to learn from experiences like this that can make us all safer at sea.

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Fuck. My 3G radar was the best investment on the water. I monitor it like a hawk while under way. dawn,dark and dusk. There have been many of times that I have come to a full stop to find out wtf is on the screen. direction and speed and avoid by 1/2 mile.

seeing this confirms my fears that not everyone on the water in the dark is as diligent as I am.

In the end I have to answer to the family of my crew.

Upvote 0

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
    Nov 19, 2003
    Anaheim
    bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    chuck
    Boat
    No
    Thanks for the report OP. I am so glad all involved will live to tell the story. As an old school boat owner and sailor who learned nav with a pencil, charts, compass divider and parallel rulers I wonder how modern electronics have eroded basic seamanship for most and contribute to these events.

A narrow escape looking at the preliminary pics. Was a collision report filed with CG? Will your buddy tell his side of the story?

So glad the results so far are as good as possible.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Somethingisn't right here, speed and ignorance had to play a part in this , ten knots at night , 2 sets of eyes on the helm and 2 mile radar alarm if you have one , operators error for sure , guys dodged a bullet for sure

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    My buddy invited me to fish SCI on his boat, I passed for a couple of reasons. Long story short I'm glad I did. While under way around 9pm 40 miles offshore is flat calm clear sky conditions he collided with another boat with 5 people on board that was heading back to the mainland. They hit almost head on causing the other boat to ride up and onto his port side, notice the prop marks cut into the hull. Luckily nobody was injured or killed and both boats made it back to port with neither taking on water. If there was a third person on my buddies boat that person would have been hurt or killed. My buddies boat is totaled. Here are a couple of pictures, I'm posting this as a heads up and hopefully a learning experience for all of us. Be careful, the ocean is huge until it's not.

View attachment 878006 View attachment 878007

holy shit

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Fuck. My 3G radar was the best investment on the water. I monitor it like a hawk while under way. dawn,dark and dusk.

Radar, properly used, is certainly a game changer, and modern radars are amazing. Many have an "ARPA" or "MARPA" feature that will automatically monitor targets based on guard-zone parameters you set. You should still keep an eye on it, but it will also alarm you if another vessel is on a course that will bring it within a preset distance within a preset time. The further offshore I go, the more I open up those parameters, but even in the Catalina channel I set it for 30 minutes and 1 nm, and I am rarely, if ever, surprised by another vessel.

AIS wouldn't have helped here, but it is also a very worthwhile investment.

Upvote 0