#BDLive Swordfish Webinar – In Case You Missed It!

BD STAFF

Fishing Forums, Articles and Reports
Jan 7, 2010
San Diego CA
Name
Advertising
Boat
none
Reactions: SSUfish
Upvote 0

JohnV8r

Oct 13, 2020
Northern California
Name
Shambala
Boat
Bertram 31
Hey Ali,

I loved this webinar. I didn't need more purple fever, but I got it in spades now anyway. I did have three follow up questions from the webinar:

Question 1. At the 54:50 mark, Duane starts talking about what he looks for when he gets to the area he has pre-planned. He mentions, rips, then signs of life, and then he starts looking for DSL's and chunky bait balls at 600'+. A little bit later you guys get into a discussion about sonar settings and TVG. My question is this: When you decide you're in the right spot to start looking for DSL's and you've adjusted the TVG, what speed/how many knots are you going while you're looking for DSL's? Can you pick up a DSL at 8 knots? 10 knots? 12 knots? How much time do you spend looking for DSL's if you've come across signs of life? Do you move on if you don't find a DSL within that time frame or do work the structure, rips, and temperature breaks at a location with signs of life even if you don't find a DSL?

Question 2. At the 1:11:15 mark, you initiate a conversation with Duane about what to do when you get bit. Duane talks about bites on his buoy rod being the highest percentage hookups, which I get because the buoy is going to lay down, go under, or otherwise provide a visual indicator that the bait has been eaten. What about the deep drop rod though? If you're going to employ Duane's 'let em eat it' strategy, what is the tell on the deep drop rod that it's time to start cranking?

Question 3. Shortly after Duane speaking about what to do when you get bit, you talk about your strategy of taking the bait away to mimic the squid trying to get away and dying. You then let the bait drift back down. First, do you do that after you see the rod tip double tap - take the bait away immediately - or are you giving it a predetermined count like a live bait hook set? Second, how many feet are you pulling in to take the bait away before you drop the bait back down to the preset depth to mimic the bait dying?

Ali, I just cannot thank you enough for putting this together. The Local Knowledge YouTube channel is great, this webinar was great. The information you share is invaluable.

Thanks,

JohnV8r

Reactions: Husband
Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Hey John,

You already owe me a 12 pack for reading all of that. :)

Question 1. At the 54:50 mark, Duane starts talking about what he looks for when he gets to the area he has pre-planned. He mentions, rips, then signs of life, and then he starts looking for DSL's and chunky bait balls at 600'+. A little bit later you guys get into a discussion about sonar settings and TVG. My question is this: When you decide you're in the right spot to start looking for DSL's and you've adjusted the TVG, what speed/how many knots are you going while you're looking for DSL's? Can you pick up a DSL at 8 knots? 10 knots? 12 knots? How much time do you spend looking for DSL's if you've come across signs of life? Do you move on if you don't find a DSL within that time frame or do work the structure, rips, and temperature breaks at a location with signs of life even if you don't find a DSL?

I like to have an idea from buddies if they saw the DSL bait layer good before I leave the dock. Duane, myslef and a handful of buddies share intel via text after each trip. I can see the DSL on the LowChirp side of my sounder up to about 8 knots. I generally troll into and around the area I want to fish looking for the most bait/thickest DSL down in the 600-100' range. I have a B275LHW with a S5100 sounder module and it shows the DSL OK. My new boat will have a R509 Transducer for better penetration and detail. We willa also fish good, established temp breaks and drop our baits to the depth where we see bait in the area. The thing we learned this year, is don't drop until you see something to drop on (bait). More surgical drops is better than drifting and praying.

Question 2. At the 1:11:15 mark, you initiate a conversation with Duane about what to do when you get bit. Duane talks about bites on his buoy rod being the highest percentage hookups, which I get because the buoy is going to lay down, go under, or otherwise provide a visual indicator that the bait has been eaten. What about the deep drop rod though? If you're going to employ Duane's 'let em eat it' strategy, what is the tell on the deep drop rod that it's time to start cranking?

We are a little different here. I have been taught by the best in the biz that if you get a whack on the tip rod, you take it away. if he comes back you then drop it slowly to simulate a squid that was killed by the whacks. Then when it either goes light or starts to bend, you set the fish up and go to work.

Question 3. Shortly after Duane speaking about what to do when you get bit, you talk about your strategy of taking the bait away to mimic the squid trying to get away and dying. You then let the bait drift back down. First, do you do that after you see the rod tip double tap - take the bait away immediately - or are you giving it a predetermined count like a live bait hook set? Second, how many feet are you pulling in to take the bait away before you drop the bait back down to the preset depth to mimic the bait dying?

See above. After the second whack I slowly lower the bait as if it was sinking naturally. "whacks" come in many shapes and sizes. Nothing definitive about them. You'll know it if you're staring at the rod. Always stare at the tip. Beer helps.

Hope this helps you get one.

Ali

Reactions: JohnV8r
Upvote 0