SDWaterman

Waterman
Apr 28, 2006
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat Name
Paddle board
Got back Friday from LA Bay on Friday after 3 days of fishing. By far the most memorable trip I’ve had for good and bad reasons. We crossed in Calexico which was a breeze, literally within a minute of driving we get pulled over for some bs made up traffic violation, the cop was cool with us though and let us go. We get into south Mexicali and traffic starts, wtf! It turns out there was a big caravan of wide load trucks moving these massive grain silos, on top of that, there were power line trucks leap frogging ahead to raise the power lines so the silos could make it through. They had to redirect traffic to the opposite lanes, it was a total shit show. We get through that and it’s smooth sailing.
We stop for gas in San Felipe and my buddy non chalantly says we’re missing a tire on the trailer. We take a look and sure enough one of the tires came clean off along with the hub, now the oh shit factor starts. We started making arrangements to stay San Felipe and we’re prepared to lose a whole day. Thankfully my buddy had a contact down there that hooked us up with a tire shop that could fix it, 4.5 hours later we’re back on the road. We got to Daggets around 830 with a huge sigh of relief.
First day of fishing was at the big island. One word…EPIC! Best surface iron bite I’ve experienced down there, didn’t matter what you threw, they ate it. Average size was mid teens. We get our fill of yellows then start the campaign for cabrilla, after about 20 minutes we find spot where they’re stacked up and motivated, EPIC fishing, all on stick baits.
Day 2 was same plan but the yellows weren’t as cooperative, we still got our fill then started our second campaign for cabrilla. Right away we find a spot where they’re stacked up and hungry, the problem though was there were 10-15lb yellows mixed in. This was 15-20’ of water so we lost many stickbaits to the yellows and had to pull them away from the yellows at times so the cabrilla could get them.
Day 3 we decide to try the red snapper and grouper spot up north. We start and the grouper spot and get a yellow right off the bat, then find the grouper and put 3 on deck. I got my pb, mid 40s. We move north to north he snapper spot and it’s blown out, we still get one but decide to call it. We do a little more cabrilla fishing then call it a trip.
We finished off the afternoon in a sheltered cove with fresh ceviche and had a coyote come check us out. Overall amazing trip!
We had Brisa process all our fish and she does amazing work, i highly recommend, it’s worth the money.
We leave Friday morning and it’s smooth sailing all the way to Mexicali. Then we get stopped again!! For another bs traffic violation, the cop said you can’t go through the intersection on a yellow. This guy was an a-hole, first time I’ve experienced a mordida in the 30+ years going down there. But that beat the alternative which was driving to their station and paying the fine there. We finally make it the border and Lady Luck was definitely on our side this time, we got in the right lane and were on American soil in 20 minutes! That’s a first!! From there smooth sailing home to SD. By far the most memorable trip I’ve had, the sea of Cortez is absolutely magical and always draws you back. 3BD6BDAE-86F7-4301-B686-765A8475EEE6.jpeg
91FF4281-4006-48D0-B55A-6930DCC333AA.jpeg
54213847-CFBB-4A62-BF04-83BCE8ED9438.jpeg
D6662F60-CABC-4F92-96BC-918FA2DAA8ED.jpeg
260B1C34-5AD6-4B39-A8B5-88904816B6EE.jpegCD518A2B-6D9D-40BD-A255-AE434A5CCF54.jpeg1E1ADF00-9A96-4206-8F52-D62A93B9CD18.jpeg

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat Name
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
These days towing anything of value invites a guarantee'd shake-down......too bad Still you guys still made the best of it.......thanks for the report

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat Name
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
That ruse was very effective ......till recently.

I know of someone who was pulled over driving thru TJ on some BS charge. The driver refused to pay the bribe and insisted going paying at the police station to settle. The crooked cop just said "you are welcome to go to the police station AFTER I impound your truck." She couldn't believe it

It took her nearly a week plus several hundred dollars in fees to get the truck back.. Oh and she was never charged with anything!

I've never seen the police corruption so bad down there and been going down since '79

Upvote 0

1 Ola Mas

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 24, 2010
Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
Name
WoodEye
Boat Name
15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
There is always that one random outlier. Sucks for that person but I’ll stand by my statement and continue to point out the back of my license whenever they start their mordida bullshit. I have the phone numbers to Sindicatura del Gobierno Municipal taped to the back for Mexicali, Tijuana and Ensenada.

Jdouglas

Almost A Member
Jul 28, 2009
Lake Elsinore. United states
Name
Jesus
Boat Name
17' holiday center console
1 ola mas, can you please share those phone numbers. I also did get ripped off past the border to go fishing. Think it’s because the economy is bad not that many tourist going to Visit because of Covid.

Upvote 0