Charles Fike

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 13, 2019
Newbury Park
Name
Charles Fike
Boat
24’ Skipjack Flybridge (Bella B)
A buddy of mine has Volvo Penta in his 24 flybridge, he get 3+ mpg - and has over 2400 hrs on the engine - Great little motor that’s last him over 20 years.
That range!!! I do like to go long but only get 1.1 mpg. That’s why I squeezed a 130 gal tank in her, and still take jerry cans. When the time comes for repower, Diesel will be on the wishlist for sure. The boat performs great with the 305 but range is priceless.

Reactions: SkipJack Boats

godo

Oct 18, 2008
Anaheim Hills, CA
Name
steve
Boat
24 Skipjack PH
I've had both- you can feed a small block for years and not come close to the cash outlay for a diesel. Range is the obvious downside. Everyone has their own definition of ideal. This one set up with 160gallons of diesel.

Reactions: SkipJack Boats

#WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Tee-Oh-Double-Dee
Boat
Small raft
Its not only about range - gas vs diesel, right? Gasoline degrades over time, the amount of fuel to CAT or SCI is way more costly per trip - Gas is combutsable and likely to lead to fire if there is a leak, especially with jerry cans onboard - Go to Ensenda and they dont sell Gasoline in the marina. Not too meantion Gas engines will maybe get 500 to 800 hours before a top end rebuild (diesel engines run 3k rpms while a gas is running 4k plus rpms) Talk about realiability, a diesel engine doesnt need a altanater to keep running, once the motor starts - its likely to get you home even if a with a bad valve/cylinder. A diesel engine is costly to obtain and repair, the longeivity of a diesel (if taken care of) and cost to run a diesel far outway the lower cost of a gasoline engine, in my humble opinion.

SkipJack Boats

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
Its not only about range - gas vs diesel, right? Gasoline degrades over time, the amount of fuel to CAT or SCI is way more costly per trip - Gas is combutsable and likely to lead to fire if there is a leak, especially with jerry cans onboard - Go to Ensenda and they dont sell Gasoline in the marina. Not too meantion Gas engines will maybe get 500 to 800 hours before a top end rebuild (diesel engines run 3k rpms while a gas is running 4k plus rpms) Talk about realiability, a diesel engine doesnt need a altanater to keep running, once the motor starts - its likely to get you home even if a with a bad valve/cylinder. A diesel engine is costly to obtain and repair, the longeivity of a diesel (if taken care of) and cost to run a diesel far outway the lower cost of a gasoline engine, in my humble opinion.
On gas or diesel I recommend putting it away with a full tank. The reason is the more air space the more condensation. Additives give fuel the ability to keep fuel fresher and absorb some water.

Also water tends to sit on the bottom and algae will form between the layer between diesel and water. This also produces an acid that can damage aluminum tanks.

Nick Adams and I were driving down the freeway to pick up a boat we just bought. We were having a conversation about why we only sell diesel inboards and as we were talking we passed a ProLine that looked like it was almost blown in half and burnt long passed repair.

It was an outboard and a good brand of boat but boats happen.
I prefer Diesel for safety alone. Outboards for now have to be gas but more companies are developing clean burning outboards.

SkipJack Boats

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
On gas or diesel I recommend putting it away with a full tank. The reason is the more air space the more condensation. Additives give fuel the ability to keep fuel fresher and absorb some water.

Also water tends to sit on the bottom and algae will form between the layer between diesel and water. This also produces an acid that can damage aluminum tanks.

Nick Adams and I were driving down the freeway to pick up a boat we just bought. We were having a conversation about why we only sell diesel inboards and as we were talking we passed a ProLine that looked like it was almost blown in half and burnt long passed repair.

It was an outboard and a good brand of boat but boats happen.
I prefer Diesel for safety alone. Outboards for now have to be gas but more companies are developing clean burning outboards.
I meant clean burning diesel outboard engines

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
Aug 10, 2005
VISTA CA
www.LongerShelfLife.com
Name
MARK aka "Mako"
Boat
Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"
I need to replace my combing pads.. I see that some of them have fasteners that slide up. or ? how do these come off? bolted from behind or . how do you take them off and what should it cost to reupholster? what materials would you use? Gotta have those pads.. but mine are looking very tired!

SkipJack Boats

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
We are having some sets made for 262 through Bill Dunn in costa mesa. maybe if you ask he will cut you a deal because of it.
They made them on our 380 demo in Newport and are amazing.

Reactions: FULLY LOADED

Farpoint

Sep 18, 2019
Nanoose Bay, BC
Name
FarPoint
Boat
52 Maritimo
My new to me 28 is up in Canada and in my shop. I’ve been speaking with Mike and he’s going to get a new Venturi windshiled made for me , so if anyone else with a 28 needs one, now may be the time to jump in.
Been hard at work on the boat- and she’s getting her shine back on. What I initially thought was fading or oxidizing was actually hard water mineral deposits.All the windows looked like they were heavily etched, but I’ve seen it before and didn’t panic. Used a product called Bio- Clean. Bit of work but they‘re perfect now. Thought about the deposits on the windows, and figured must be the same stuff on the gel coat.
Just hand rubbing for now and will machine buff later.
But looking way better.

61AF86E2-513C-4A25-A20A-BF39D7B30A06.jpeg

Last edited:

Farpoint

Sep 18, 2019
Nanoose Bay, BC
Name
FarPoint
Boat
52 Maritimo
8ft.
Raymarine RL 70C Radar off.
Furuno Bluetooth going on. Plus all new Perko light, and new wiring run to the dash. With soldered, heat shrunk, and self vulcanizing rubber tape joints. (just eliminated several butt splice connectors)

357F0B09-EBBD-4EE2-B0D4-2AC2987F06F3.jpeg

Reactions: marlyn

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Figure I would update some pictures from the first ones back on page 9... This 1979 28’ hull with a 24’ fly bridge has undergone some changes since I got her.. first was the pilot house that I found on Craigslist ,then the big game changer was converting to outboards.

67082DAF-897E-4E38-83E0-7C16EB3A6200.jpeg

4343E5C0-8FE3-46B0-8907-297995FB7723.jpeg

5F7670AF-9863-4A9E-94FA-F53358ACF064.jpeg

84D1FE6B-1948-4029-AA8D-CF84087E05BF.jpeg