BD show me your SkipJack boat thread

91mar709

Jun 16, 2010
San Carlos, Mexico
Hello year 2000 26' FB with Volvo 43p...was wondering how others are managing their anchor rode....I have ±300' rope with ±25' of chain and a Lewmar Pro-Fish. The area for rode storage below deck that came with the boat is too small to handle this without backing up and jamming the windlass...has anyone modified theirs to accomodate longer rode? Thanks

Pacific Trailers

Advertiser
Advertiser
Oct 17, 2017
Here is my 86 20' that used to be an open. Previous owner did the pilot house, it looks a bit like AMC Pacer meets skippy, but it has 6' standing headroom and great visiblity, function over form! Plan was to redo the PH this past winter but....ran out of time, next winter. Stuff done so far,coaming pads, more electronics 2 vhfs 2 gps FF and radar. Rebuilt the o/d. Added rocket launcher. Added battery for one starting bat and 2 house. Put the batts under the helm pedestal to compensate for the baittank. Tabs still might be in my future. It seems to get 2mpg no matter what I do rpm wise. As you all know there is always something else to do to it!

Do you have photos of where you put the batteries?

Jun 20, 2018
Name
Jordan Schaefer
Boat
24 Skipjack FB; Tamarindo
Does anyone have advice on repower or full power package for an 83, 24ft FB? My current volvo package has become a headache every time I go out. Finally get it running again and then it breaks down 10 miles out (thank god for V.A.). I know there are many options so; I don't have the time or ability to do the work myself, I am weighing options between a rebuild or crate motor, just want to be able to get out and fish with my friends all day without having to worry about breaking down. I live in Huntington Beach but can easily trailer to a mechanic. Much appreciated.

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
Skipjack 240, Skipjack Sports Cruiser under construction
You might do better getting replies if you put this under general discussion instead of show me your skipjack. There have been several discussions here on this topic. Have you been having trouble with the outdrive or just the engine? One of the places I have seen that have replacement engines is here. https://www.michiganmotorz.com/turn-carbureted-engines-c-31_49_78.html But you would still need to find someone to replace the engine for you. You can find a complete engine, but there are always decisions. Fresh water cooling, ignition system, carburetor, and that sort of thing. Like I said at the top of the post, I would start a thread in the discussion part of this forum.

Jaysend

Nov 10, 2014
Name
Jason
Boat
262 Skipjack
Hi all,

I have been working on my new to me 262 Flybridge. I am just about done with it and I am putting in a stereo system. I have the basics done but I am struggling with speaker placement. I see alot of guys put a pair on either side of the anchor chain locker. How do you get wires to that location? I ran some fish tape from there down the side through the trim under the window and I just don't see a good place for it to drop down or up.
Also, any other good spots for speakers in the cabin?
preferably towards the stern? I think I have a spot for my main speakers in the cockpit but I would love opinions before I drill a couple 6" holes!
Any pics would be greatly appreciated!!

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
Aug 10, 2005
VISTA CA
www.LongerShelfLife.com
Name
MARK aka "Mako"
Boat
Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"
I added the box speakers with brackets on either side of the locker hatch. there is a drop down chase-way,the runs on both sides so wiring was straightforward.. we mounted the Fusion stereo above the stove, built into the hanging locker, also put the amp in the locker too, the boat had cut outs in the kick plate on the helm, I upgraded them, The Fusion stereo works off my phone, or Simrad or ipad and it works great!.. too bad that lovely Kad 42 .. not so much... she is in at Sea And Ski now for a possible rebuild....OUCH!!!

downtime

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
Put these under the gunnel. They are poly planer had to build the boxes.
608D7711-2146-4CDB-8496-5BE58891C041.jpeg
9014E16C-4A5E-47AD-B3DE-7EA1A31AE884.jpeg
78BD5604-43B8-4700-9214-2EAACDD7EADB.jpeg
Hi all,

I have been working on my new to me 262 Flybridge. I am just about done with it and I am putting in a stereo system. I have the basics done but I am struggling with speaker placement. I see alot of guys put a pair on either side of the anchor chain locker. How do you get wires to that location? I ran some fish tape from there down the side through the trim under the window and I just don't see a good place for it to drop down or up.
Also, any other good spots for speakers in the cabin?
preferably towards the stern? I think I have a spot for my main speakers in the cockpit but I would love opinions before I drill a couple 6" holes!
Any pics would be greatly appreciated!!
473DB950-4B30-4FA4-ADFE-5EB701F5D9D4.jpeg

Jaysend

Nov 10, 2014
Name
Jason
Boat
262 Skipjack
Thanks Mark and Ronson!
I am going to try again fishing wires for a pair by the Anchor locker.
I like the idea of a pair under the gunnel!

Jaysend

Nov 10, 2014
Name
Jason
Boat
262 Skipjack
I ended up putting two in the anchor locker, 2 on the closet and two up top! Wiring was much easier than I originally thought.
Excuse the mess work in progress.

7588451D-9587-4B3D-8FFD-8092CECC803D.jpeg 96667696-08BA-4BAF-A37B-A1EC0BADBAE2.jpeg E29D9595-7214-4472-9794-DADED1277E2C.jpeg

The Apiarist

Jul 14, 2018
Long Beach
Name
Cody Pierce
Boat
Skip Jack 28
Hopefully this is useful for some:
I just ordered a custom built Venturi for a skipjack 28. I can get a deal if I order more than one. Anybody interested. Cost would be around $325 I believe. I’m in Socal but I think I could ship pretty easily. The factory said they’d be around $600 if they could muster up building one.

They can do light or dark grey, 3 shades of bronze or clear.

Front²4²

Whatever...
Sep 15, 2015
Carlsbad
Name
Tim
Boat
25 Skipjack Diesel “Stack ‘Em”
The factory seems to be a joke anymore. I get that these boats aren't in production anymore but come on... They still had replacement parts up on their website when I called them. I called about a bow pulpit and they said they'd look for the mold and call me back. I waited about 90 days and called back. They acted like they were pissed because I was bugging them. o_O Ended up getting an aftermarket one online that is killer. Longer and stronger than factory and custom color matched. A year and a half later, still haven't received a call from the helpful and friendly Skipjack guys. I did notice that they took down most of the parts website after I called the second time.

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
The factory seems to be a joke anymore. I get that these boats aren't in production anymore but come on... They still had replacement parts up on their website when I called them. I called about a bow pulpit and they said they'd look for the mold and call me back. I waited about 90 days and called back. They acted like they were pissed because I was bugging them. o_O Ended up getting an aftermarket one online that is killer. Longer and stronger than factory and custom color matched. A year and a half later, still haven't received a call from the helpful and friendly Skipjack guys. I did notice that they took down most of the parts website after I called the second time.
To be fair the owner did pass away last year. And like you already said they're not in production anymore so not sure what you really expected.

Front²4²

Whatever...
Sep 15, 2015
Carlsbad
Name
Tim
Boat
25 Skipjack Diesel “Stack ‘Em”
As far as I know, Jack Cole hadn't owned Skipjack for years so his passing would have had zero effect on the current business. Also, the part was listed as available on their website at the time I called to inquire. I guess I expected them to be able to provide a part that they were showing as available. :confused:

Reactions: Onthefin

Jaysend

Nov 10, 2014
Name
Jason
Boat
262 Skipjack
I had a very hard time calling skipjack for parts too. The website hasn't been updated in a long time. I asked about some seats and a few other odds and ends and was basically told to pound sand.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....