Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat
Skipjack Flybridge 24 Diesel
Sure looks good! I’m thinking of building one for my skippy now.
The pieces of new teak are a little pricey. I’d like to get another one and redo it. It was kind of fun. It makes you appreciate the work after it’s done. Teak is a great wood

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
The pieces of new teak are a little pricey. I’d like to get another one and redo it. It was kind of fun. It makes you appreciate the work after it’s done. Teak is a great wood

So I fired up the google machine and went digging. Saw a few interesting ideas, including one made of cusa board, fiberglassed, and covered with cork. That was neat, but I love the wood look. I also saw one made of mahogany too. Not sure which is cheaper between mahogany or teak but both are good for the job and sexy as F**k!

Reactions: Dante DeMarco

Axl

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 2, 2013
Long Beach
Name
Axl
Boat
currenty looking for a replacement
@Axl when you repowered from a 41A to a 41B, did you have to change your props?
I didn’t change props. Should I have?
41A 41B has the same hp rating and rpm rating as far as I know. The essential difference is the shape of the dish of the piston top and number of holes of the injector nozzle helping with the reduction of smoke during start/warm up.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I didn’t change props. Should I have?
41A 41B has the same hp rating and rpm rating as far as I know. The essential difference is the shape of the dish of the piston top and number of holes of the injector nozzle helping with the reduction of smoke during start/warm up.

I wasn’t sure if the props would be different. I don’t know of anyone else who has gone from an A to a B. I have an A in my skip, and I recently bought a B. I knew the hp was the same, and the things you mentioned. Someone had told me they had different power curves, so that was my concern. I don’t want to change props, those dp sets are expensive!

Axl

Jun 2, 2013
Long Beach
Name
Axl
Boat
I wasn’t sure if the props would be different. I don’t know of anyone else who has gone from an A to a B. I have an A in my skip, and I recently bought a B. I knew the hp was the same, and the things you mentioned. Someone had told me they had different power curves, so that was my concern. I don’t want to change props, those dp sets are expensive!
I agree on prop cost but I have been thinking that there is some gains to be had with a prop change and was thinking about looking at talking to a prop shop

What is your current WOT RPM’s
Top speed/ Cruise speed
Fuel consumption @ cruise
Do you have a pyro installed? How close to turbo? What are temps?

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
So I fired up the google machine and went digging. Saw a few interesting ideas, including one made of cusa board, fiberglassed, and covered with cork. That was neat, but I love the wood look. I also saw one made of mahogany too. Not sure which is cheaper between mahogany or teak but both are good for the job and sexy as F**k!
My boat partner and I are both proficient woodworkers. We've done a substantial amount of teak upgrades to our skippy (dash, footrest console, shelf along entire gunnel, blower cowls, cabinets inside, it goes on and on). Teak is such an awesome wood to work with. While some of the wood we bought new (Bohnhoff Lumber in LA) and milled ourselves, we have also put together beautiful parts from scraps. I often browse Offer Up and Craigslist for people selling teak outdoor furniture. You can get it very cheaply, mill it, and glue it up to your specs. Our teak dash was built that way. People don't understand with some milling or sanding, teak becomes basically brand new after you get past the gray wood. That gray wood never seems to go very deep.

We've found Petit's Captain's Varnish to hold up the best. I will say, however, any flat surface that you varnish and that is continually in the sun will need major attention. We have upwards of 40 coats (200 grit sand and 24 hour dry time in between) on some of our pieces and they still need some love almost every season and the boat is covered most of the time. The edge grain is particularly susceptible, as the varnish just soaks in and doesn't build up as well. We have thought about building a teak swim step, but feel it would just get hammered and we like our teak shiny.

Here are some pics of some of the stuff. Been bad about taking pictures of the boat, but next time I go down there, I can snap some photos if you guys are interested in using some of the ideas

fullsizeoutput_1a11.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a14.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a10.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a13.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a0f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a12.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a09.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a07.jpeg fullsizeoutput_19fe.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a0e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a05.jpeg fullsizeoutput_19fd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a0b.jpeg 57620176478__8E9B63B0-6002-4128-9530-5505162F577D.JPG

Axl

Jun 2, 2013
Long Beach
Name
Axl
Boat
Love the blower cowls and the center cap on the steering wheel

Reactions: C.Bergs

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I agree on prop cost but I have been thinking that there is some gains to be had with a prop change and was thinking about looking at talking to a prop shop

What is your current WOT RPM’s
Top speed/ Cruise speed
Fuel consumption @ cruise
Do you have a pyro installed? How close to turbo? What are temps?

I don’t have an answer for any of your questions. I bought the engine about a month ago, and I’ll be installing it over the winter season. It doesn’t have a pyrometer, but I’ve definitely considered adding one.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
My boat partner and I are both proficient woodworkers. We've done a substantial amount of teak upgrades to our skippy (dash, footrest console, shelf along entire gunnel, blower cowls, cabinets inside, it goes on and on). Teak is such an awesome wood to work with. While some of the wood we bought new (Bohnhoff Lumber in LA) and milled ourselves, we have also put together beautiful parts from scraps. I often browse Offer Up and Craigslist for people selling teak outdoor furniture. You can get it very cheaply, mill it, and glue it up to your specs. Our teak dash was built that way. People don't understand with some milling or sanding, teak becomes basically brand new after you get past the gray wood. That gray wood never seems to go very deep.

We've found Petit's Captain's Varnish to hold up the best. I will say, however, any flat surface that you varnish and that is continually in the sun will need major attention. We have upwards of 40 coats (200 grit sand and 24 hour dry time in between) on some of our pieces and they still need some love almost every season and the boat is covered most of the time. The edge grain is particularly susceptible, as the varnish just soaks in and doesn't build up as well. We have thought about building a teak swim step, but feel it would just get hammered and we like our teak shiny.

Here are some pics of some of the stuff. Been bad about taking pictures of the boat, but next time I go down there, I can snap some photos if you guys are interested in using some of the ideas

View attachment 1079798 View attachment 1079799 View attachment 1079800 View attachment 1079801 View attachment 1079802 View attachment 1079803 View attachment 1079804 View attachment 1079805 View attachment 1079806 View attachment 1079807 View attachment 1079808 View attachment 1079809 View attachment 1079810 View attachment 1079811

Holy crap! That’s some impressive woodwork. I don’t think I could come close to that level of craftsmanship. What is your opinion on mahogany?

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Holy crap! That’s some impressive woodwork. I don’t think I could come close to that level of craftsmanship. What is your opinion on mahogany?
You for sure could. Just mock it up first with cardboard, then ply, measure a couple hundred times, and then hope for the best haha.

I don't have much of an opinion on mahogany vs teak on boats. Both have been used to build entire boats. What I can say is teak is very oily. Double edge sword. 1. It lasts forever and refinishes very well. Conversely, 2. It apparently doesn't hold up to glue/resins as well because of the substantial oil. We haven't had a problem there yet. We used Titebond III to glue up everything and have no separation in our joints. Probably not proper boatbuilding etiquette to use Titebond over resin on a boat, but we're not professional boatbuilders and we had what we had.

People argue that mahogany is easier to work with, but I disagree. Teak is like butter going through a table saw.

Ipe is also a good bet if you can get it. Our deck hatches are made out of Ipe from some scraps my boat partner got off a contracting job. See a lot of abuse and are holding up pretty well.

Axl

Jun 2, 2013
Long Beach
Name
Axl
Boat
For teak gluing a epoxy is Reccomended but in any case you should use acetone to wipe the joints prior to glueing. I don’t mean a quick wipe I mean scrub to remove the surface oil. I have had success with titebond but not for really wet locations.
Be aware when picking up some ‘teak’ outdoor furniture that it may not actually be teak. I have found many of the low end sets are actually jarrah or something else.

Armia-bob your current motor is a 41A? I was asking about those numbers

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
You for sure could. Just mock it up first with cardboard, then ply, measure a couple hundred times, and then hope for the best haha.

I don't have much of an opinion on mahogany vs teak on boats. Both have been used to build entire boats. What I can say is teak is very oily. Double edge sword. 1. It lasts forever and refinishes very well. Conversely, 2. It apparently doesn't hold up to glue/resins as well because of the substantial oil. We haven't had a problem there yet. We used Titebond III to glue up everything and have no separation in our joints. Probably not proper boatbuilding etiquette to use Titebond over resin on a boat, but we're not professional boatbuilders and we had what we had.

People argue that mahogany is easier to work with, but I disagree. Teak is like butter going through a table saw.

Ipe is also a good bet if you can get it. Our deck hatches are made out of Ipe from some scraps my boat partner got off a contracting job. See a lot of abuse and are holding up pretty well.

I’m probably the last guy qualified for wood identification, and I could use some lessons in proper woodworking. I do like the idea of building it myself.

Armia-bob your current motor is a 41A? I was asking about those numbers

Yes, my current engine is a 41A, but it’s frozen. That’s why I bought the 41B.

Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat

View attachment 1079798 View attachment 1079799

That’s is very impressive woodwork. You must have a lot of time invested. I would love to see more of your work. I like the idea of the shelf along the gunnels made in teak. I would like to do that on mine as well as the dash. I would really love to add more wood to my skipjack. Those vent covers are an awesome idea but fishing off the back of mine I’d be afraid of the torture they would take.

I may have to check out that wood store in LA you mentioned. I bought some teak at Austins in Santa Ana. And yes I’ve looked on Craigslist as well. Used wood always works great for these projects.

Very nice craftsmanship you’ve done to yours. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat
[QUOTE

That’s is very impressive woodwork. You must have a lot of time invested. I would love to see more of your work. I like the idea of the shelf along the gunnels made in teak. I would like to do that on mine as well as the dash. I would really love to add more wood to my skipjack. Those vent covers are an awesome idea but fishing off the back of mine I’d be afraid of the torture they would take.

I may have to check out that wood store in LA you mentioned. I bought some teak at Austins in Santa Ana. And yes I’ve looked on Craigslist as well. Used wood always works great for these projects.

UnReel

Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Just a little head up, if anyone is looking for nice skippy I'm going to be putting my 1982 Skipjack Open "UnReel" up for sale in a couple weeks. She's sitting on a ABT aluminum trailer and I just put new tires in it.

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
[QUOTE

Appreciate the kind words. Once I have some time to clean up the boat, I'll shoot some pictures of the shelves, etc. It's currently in lobster hunting mode with shit everywhere.

Very surprisingly, those vent covers have held up way better than I ever imagined. I haven't had to sand them down and haven't put one more coat of varnish on them since we installed them. They're not as shiny as day 1, but don't look bad in the slightest.

It's been really rewarding when people in the marina notice the teak and comment on it. From painters to folks at the fuel/bait dock, it's always nice to be congratulated on a job well done. Especially for a couple goons that try to do everything on a budget and have no real education in it.

Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat
Appreciate the kind words. Once I have some time to clean up the boat, I'll shoot some pictures of the shelves, etc. It's currently in lobster hunting mode with shit everywhere.

Very surprisingly, those vent covers have held up way better than I ever imagined. I haven't had to sand them down and haven't put one more coat of varnish on them since we installed them. They're not as shiny as day 1, but don't look bad in the slightest.

It's been really rewarding when people in the marina notice the teak and comment on it. From painters to folks at the fuel/bait dock, it's always nice to be congratulated on a job well done. Especially for a couple goons that try to do everything on a budget and have no real education in it.

Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat
I look forward to seeing those pictures. Good luck with the lobsters . I’ve been trying to get out there as well. That’s why I’ve got the slip. Hopefully next week.

washingtonspyde

Jul 25, 2006
San Pedro
Name
Chris
Boat
1982 24' Skipjack Flybridge
I have a 1982 Skippy Flybridge. It has the original Alcohol Stove and Fridge. Does anybody know a good replacement for the stove that fits the old stoves space?
Thanks

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I have a 1982 Skippy Flybridge. It has the original Alcohol Stove and Fridge. Does anybody know a good replacement for the stove that fits the old stoves space?
Thanks

I’ve heard of some people using an electric range with an inverter.

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Anyone seen a handrail that fits around the front visor, splash guard? I'm looking to buy or make one up (without welding it myself) I want to protect the flimsy visor fro people grabbing it, but I also want to be able to tarp the boat without breaking it . Thoughts?