Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat
Skipjack Flybridge 24 Diesel
My boat partner and I are both proficient woodworkers. We've done a substantial amount of teak upgrades to our skippy (dash, footrest console, shelf along entire gunnel, blower cowls, cabinets inside, it goes on and on). Teak is such an awesome wood to work with. While some of the wood we bought new (Bohnhoff Lumber in LA) and milled ourselves, we have also put together beautiful parts from scraps. I often browse Offer Up and Craigslist for people selling teak outdoor furniture. You can get it very cheaply, mill it, and glue it up to your specs. Our teak dash was built that way. People don't understand with some milling or sanding, teak becomes basically brand new after you get past the gray wood. That gray wood never seems to go very deep.

We've found Petit's Captain's Varnish to hold up the best. I will say, however, any flat surface that you varnish and that is continually in the sun will need major attention. We have upwards of 40 coats (200 grit sand and 24 hour dry time in between) on some of our pieces and they still need some love almost every season and the boat is covered most of the time. The edge grain is particularly susceptible, as the varnish just soaks in and doesn't build up as well. We have thought about building a teak swim step, but feel it would just get hammered and we like our teak shiny.

Here are some pics of some of the stuff. Been bad about taking pictures of the boat, but next time I go down there, I can snap some photos if you guys are interested in using some of the ideas

View attachment 1079798 View attachment 1079799

That’s is very impressive woodwork. You must have a lot of time invested. I would love to see more of your work. I like the idea of the shelf along the gunnels made in teak. I would like to do that on mine as well as the dash. I would really love to add more wood to my skipjack. Those vent covers are an awesome idea but fishing off the back of mine I’d be afraid of the torture they would take.

I may have to check out that wood store in LA you mentioned. I bought some teak at Austins in Santa Ana. And yes I’ve looked on Craigslist as well. Used wood always works great for these projects.

Very nice craftsmanship you’ve done to yours. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat
[QUOTE

That’s is very impressive woodwork. You must have a lot of time invested. I would love to see more of your work. I like the idea of the shelf along the gunnels made in teak. I would like to do that on mine as well as the dash. I would really love to add more wood to my skipjack. Those vent covers are an awesome idea but fishing off the back of mine I’d be afraid of the torture they would take.

I may have to check out that wood store in LA you mentioned. I bought some teak at Austins in Santa Ana. And yes I’ve looked on Craigslist as well. Used wood always works great for these projects.

Reactions: C.Bergs

UnReel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Just a little head up, if anyone is looking for nice skippy I'm going to be putting my 1982 Skipjack Open "UnReel" up for sale in a couple weeks. She's sitting on a ABT aluminum trailer and I just put new tires in it.

C.Bergs

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
[QUOTE

Appreciate the kind words. Once I have some time to clean up the boat, I'll shoot some pictures of the shelves, etc. It's currently in lobster hunting mode with shit everywhere.

Very surprisingly, those vent covers have held up way better than I ever imagined. I haven't had to sand them down and haven't put one more coat of varnish on them since we installed them. They're not as shiny as day 1, but don't look bad in the slightest.

It's been really rewarding when people in the marina notice the teak and comment on it. From painters to folks at the fuel/bait dock, it's always nice to be congratulated on a job well done. Especially for a couple goons that try to do everything on a budget and have no real education in it.

Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat
Appreciate the kind words. Once I have some time to clean up the boat, I'll shoot some pictures of the shelves, etc. It's currently in lobster hunting mode with shit everywhere.

Very surprisingly, those vent covers have held up way better than I ever imagined. I haven't had to sand them down and haven't put one more coat of varnish on them since we installed them. They're not as shiny as day 1, but don't look bad in the slightest.

It's been really rewarding when people in the marina notice the teak and comment on it. From painters to folks at the fuel/bait dock, it's always nice to be congratulated on a job well done. Especially for a couple goons that try to do everything on a budget and have no real education in it.

Dante DeMarco

Papagayo
Jan 14, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Papagayo
Boat
I look forward to seeing those pictures. Good luck with the lobsters . I’ve been trying to get out there as well. That’s why I’ve got the slip. Hopefully next week.

Jul 25, 2006
San Pedro
Name
Chris
Boat
1982 24' Skipjack Flybridge
I have a 1982 Skippy Flybridge. It has the original Alcohol Stove and Fridge. Does anybody know a good replacement for the stove that fits the old stoves space?
Thanks

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I have a 1982 Skippy Flybridge. It has the original Alcohol Stove and Fridge. Does anybody know a good replacement for the stove that fits the old stoves space?
Thanks

I’ve heard of some people using an electric range with an inverter.

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Anyone seen a handrail that fits around the front visor, splash guard? I'm looking to buy or make one up (without welding it myself) I want to protect the flimsy visor fro people grabbing it, but I also want to be able to tarp the boat without breaking it . Thoughts?

Colton young

Oct 2, 2018
Modesto
Name
Colton
Boat
Skipjack
It pains me but it has come time to sell my project, it is a 1980 Skipjack Sport cruiser with a newer Chevy vortec v8 mounted to a single prop Volvo Penta 290. I have done a lot of work to this thing and it is at a good point for someone who knows a little about working on boats to finish it up before the upcoming fishing season. If anyone is interested let me know I’m located in the Modesto area. You can get ahold of me for more details at 1(209)985-8832 Colton
E8BAE5C8-57AB-4B25-AAE9-ECFAF4455E72.jpeg
F278F254-270C-4D11-B5D2-66055FBCCE69.jpeg
B41610FB-D9B7-441D-9015-CFC901BAF984.jpeg
F8800CA7-018D-4A26-BBC2-71C8A2833466.jpeg
A7F806E4-5CDA-46EA-9A6D-A5D3AF90EC25.jpeg
08E22350-9E18-464C-A436-B60D445CF349.jpeg
E1B7A063-6AE3-42F4-9BB1-85A6190224F5.jpeg
04EB07A1-6D50-4AE6-9C8A-4DA664DCBDCC.jpeg

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
Skipjack 240, Skipjack Sports Cruiser under construction
Colton, you might want to put this under fishing boats for sale! but you will need to put a price. GLWS

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
Aug 10, 2005
VISTA CA
www.LongerShelfLife.com
Name
MARK aka "Mako"
Boat
Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"

Seagina

Super stoked to fish.
May 7, 2003
Carlsbad
www.spectrum-hardware.com
Name
John Martin
Boat
25 Skipjack Fisherman
What is the story on the new Skippy? Power? your other one looks great..GLWS
Story on new one, is that we think water got in the engine somehow from possible wrong intake manifold gasket. otherwise Everything is new (including the crate motor (4hrs) from the last owner/friend). It also has a TBI system that's new (will be for sale by the way soon) because I've been told to stick with good old fashion marine carb to eliminate furture electronic problems. I have 3 kids, and I want this thing solid when it's finished... Catalina trips this spring.

Just need to sell my old boat! Motor runs solid, just couldn't pass up the rare fishermans model thats in mint shape -motor issues. It should be all fixed up by March

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima ex Whalers Pursuit Mako Aquasport Seacraft Grady North Rivers
I have a guy wanting to trade me his skip but I am not familiar with these boats...it is a 79 with newer 5.0 motor. 21ft. If I take it I would probably just want to get out of it for trade value but have no general idea of saleabilty/demand. Also is this a 5-10k boat or a 10-20k? seems like it would be more 5-10? thx for any inputs. I know there is more to value that just a pic but lets assume it is clean with no major cosmetics or rot and no latest electronics.

Attachments

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
That homemade ttop has to go. It's a 20ft open. I would put it in the 5k range

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima ex Whalers Pursuit Mako Aquasport Seacraft Grady North Rivers
Thanks that was my call but didnt want to say. Problem with taking off that abortion of a top is the holes it leaves. I will pass.

Reactions: javierlopez123

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Flipping through the channels I came across this 20’ Flybridge on Emergency

Attachments

Reactions: Arima-bob

Tankerman

Jul 25, 2018
Corona
Name
Tom
Boat
Skipjack 24flybridge "THE HOOKER"
Good afternoon fello Skippys
I’m trying to figure out a good plan to plumb this bait tank. There is not a lot of room under the floor on top of the fuel tank. I don’t want to plumb on top of the deck.
what’s your setup? Any ideas welcome or pics of how you plumbed yours.
thanks

Attachments

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
I have mine drain out the starboard side in-line with the tank so I can look back and make sure I have good water flow. Inlet obviously comes from the back of the boat

Attachments

Tankerman

Jul 25, 2018
Corona
Name
Tom
Boat
Skipjack 24flybridge "THE HOOKER"
I have mine drain out the starboard side in-line with the tank so I can look back and make sure I have good water flow. Inlet obviously comes from the back of the boat
Ok I had some questions about how you ran the drain till I saw the floor in the cockpit
You have raised the floor so there is no engine compartment
Now that is another project I need to do