Oldtimer2

Almost A Member
Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
When I log in to BD, soon after I get a bar across the bottom of the page saying something like "will you allow BD to push notifications". (Not sure I have the words exactly right, but that's the general idea.) I always say NO, because I have no idea what the heck that means.
Anyone know what it means, and why BD is asking?

ALSO: I keep getting emails from BD mentioning things like someone posted in a thread. It's very annoying, and it takes up a LOT of space in my inbox. I like the site, but I don't need the additional clutter in my inbox.
Anyone know how to get BD to stop sending emails?

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    If your getting emails it's because you set it up that way in your preferences. Click on your name in the upper right corner and change them .

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Did you get an email that I replied to your thread just now ?

Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Almost A Member
    Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    Mullet,
    Yes, I got an email from BD saying you had replied to this thread. And THANK YOU for trying to help a decrepit ole fart.

I don't want to stop people who sent me PERSONAL email here (tho I myself don't know how to do that yet), I just want to stop the automatic stuff coming from BD. Will your suggestion do that?

If I want to look at BD, I just go to it and look at "New Posts". I don't need that email stuff.

Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Almost A Member
    Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    Mullet
    I just went to "preferences" and removed most of the email boxes. I think I understand it.
    I still don't get the Push Notifications tho.

Again, THANKS!!

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    No problem . Hopefully you didn't get an email I replied again . Us old farts gots to stick together .

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
    Feb 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    What it’s asking about “push notifications” is this:

BD wants to have permission to send you updates regarding BD content anytime you are on the web. If you agree, it would probably show up as a banner on your phone or table, or a little box in the corner of a standard computer. Just a way to encourage more website traffic basically.

Reactions: dalurker
    Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Almost A Member
    Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    esgeo,
    Thanks. That makes sense. I don't need it or want it, so I will check "no".

sealskin,
    Man, that was funny. I haven't laughed so hard since I was in first grade and the kids made fart jokes. Geez.

Since you are into poop jokes, here's one that at a slightly higher level. Ahem:

A little boy is walking down the country road one day when he comes across a man who has a truckload of cow manure.
    The boy asks him what he’s going to do with all that cow poop. The man says, “I’m taking it home to put on my strawberries.”
    After a concerned look, the little boy looks up at the man and says, “I don’t know where you come from, but where I come from we put cream and sugar on our strawberries.”

Upvote 0