namumac

Almost A Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ilwaco, WA
Name
Bill
Boat
Koffler Bay Bee
I want to upgrade to hydraulic steering. I have a 150 E tech on my boat. The Baystar is rated to 150 hp, so do I need to step up to the Seastar at twice the cost? Will thew Baystar work OK?

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
The bay star would "work o.k.". It also depends on the boat hull style and how much it "fights" your motor. There are mods you can do to make it better. You are right on the edge of tolerances for that kit.

You could go with a Baystar, and if you do, go with a Sea Star hose kit. Order the baystar cylinder without hoses. The baystar hoses are not as good of quality and thickness as the Seastar. The BS is cut to length hoses and the SS are crimped connectors.

They go in order of quality by
Baystar No Tubing HK4300A-3
Baystar Plus-No tubing HK4500A-3
Baystar Plus with Seastar tubing
Seastar

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Here are more numbers and factory recommendations.

(Up to 50 mph, no bass boats or high performance)
1. BayStar HK4200A-3 (comes with 20ft cut-to-length tubing)
2. BayStar HK4300A-3 with HO51XX SeaStar hose kit (sold individually)
3. BayStar PLUS HK4500A-3 with HO51XX SeaStar hose kit (sold individually)

(Up to 55 mph, no bass boats or high performance)
4. Seastar HK6400A-3 with HO51XX SeaStar hose kit (sold individually)

(60 mph and up, okay for bass boats and high performance)
5. SeaStar PRO HK7500A-3 with HO57XX SeaStar PRO hose kit (sold individually)

With 150 hp outboard, kit #1 is not ideal but can work. kit #2 or better would be recommended.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
The baystar also says not for high speed applications. There’s only 1 nylock securing the end of the steering arm to the cylinder. Make damn sure that can’t come loose. A cotter pin or threadlocker would be useful.

Upvote 0

t_dub

I remember when I used to fish.............
Jan 3, 2010
Kenmore
Name
Ty
Boat
20' Hewescraft Searunner
i'm running a 20' Hewescraft Searunner with a Honda 150hp and the Baystar system. Works just fine. I'm sure with the Seastar system, it would be true one finger steering, but at twice the cost, I'm ok using two fingers.

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
idk your boat or situation, so take this for whatever little it's worth. I thought i wanted/needed hydraulic on my 18' tiderunner with Yammie F115, until i simply got a replacement cable. I went from a full body workout to one-fingered steerability overnight.

Reactions: sgwill122
Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
And a heads up, if you go with the Baystar kit and the cut your own tubing, if your steering starts losing performance, the place to check will be around the fittings where they are attached to the hose by end user. Leak point historically.

Make sure you cut cleanly at a 90, clean any burrs and tighten the fittings onto the helm annually to keep the seal.

Upvote 0

Area13

That's gonna leave a mark!
Jul 21, 2014
Fox Island, WA
Name
Clint
Boat
Hewes
Baystar came on my new 20’ Hewes in 2014 with a Honda 150. Never been impressed, 3 finger streering for me and my setup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0