Oregon213

Apr 15, 2019
Oregon
Name
Chris
Boat
12' Livingston
Hey all,

I'm currently running a little 12' Livingston on a few of the bays along the Oregon coast. Fun little skiff, but with two kids growing faster and faster... it's getting smaller and smaller.

I'm not in the market for a "big" boat, and I'd really like to keep it small enough to store in the garage (I'm open to a small remodel, I need to tear off the roof on one side anyway...). I want something durable, light, and capable of pushing out of the bays in calm weather. My last criteria here is my truck, a 2017 Frontier. I'd really like to stay within its towing capacity.

I'm slowly getting drawn to the Valco/Klamath bayrunners. I like the look of them - deep V with a upswept bow. There are a couple on CL locally in the $3-5k range - both 16' boats with tiller controls.

Does anyone have experience with these boats? Thoughts on size and setup? Console seems nice, but an open boat has its perks too.

Thanks for any feedback.

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn on way to Florida
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
I had an 18' w/ 40 Mariner.
It been many years ago. Great lite boat that was really hard to run out of fuel.
But very wet and hard on my back and knees. Would not work for me today, but I loved it for many seasons.

Upvote 0

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
I had a 19' Bayrunner Baja that was very stable on the Lakes and on the Blue. Only reason why I sold it was to get out of the weather so bought a 19' Alumaweld Stryker. Both great boats.

414101532.jpg

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
A friend of mine has an 18 footer.I went out in it once and never went on it again.I took a beating.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
I had the same boat and motor. The boat would be good in a lake or on flat calm days. In normal ocean conditions it is too light of a boat and will beat the shit out of you. It was a very rough riding and wet boat. I attribute my spinal fusion back surgery to that boat and the other light weight aluminum boats I had in the past.

I had an 18' w/ 40 Mariner.
It been many years ago. Great lite boat that was really hard to run out of fuel.
But very wet and hard on my back and knees. Would not work for me today, but I loved it for many seasons.

Reactions: TheBoyScout
Upvote 0

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
In my opinion, the smaller tiller steered boats you are looking at are for close-in and lake fishing. Being tiller steered, you're gonna be in a bouncy boat in any type of chop since you are sitting in back. I have a 21 Bayrunner Baja. Totally different from what you are considering. I also had a 19' Bayrunner Baja. Also very different. They are both center consoles with a much more substantial hull and floor and a much more balanced boat since more weight will be distributed towards the bow. I also have a Gregor 15 with a 20 horse tiller outboard. With the exception of the upraised bow, the Bayrunners are similar to the Gregors of that size. I use my aluminum boats in Baja and I'm careful with the wind and chop when I go out in the Gregor 15. I wouldn't want to be out far if it kicks up. The 19' and 21' Bayrunners have been out in every type of weather. VERY seaworthy boats for what they are.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    For what it is worth, I have a small (15') valco westcoaster, which works well for me. It is not a stand up, no upturned bow like the bayrunners. I needed a small boat I could slide into a garage. It has a mercury 40 hp 4 stroke which gets 10+ mpg. Two seats, no tiller, small bait tank, perfect for lobster hooping or inshore fishing, but I have gone offshore for tuna. Pretty happy with it, for what it is!

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    I have a 19 Bayrunner Baja center console
    I have taken it 40+ miles offshore out of San Diego and take it to Baja Mexico I tow it with a Toyota Tacoma it's a 2016 boat and motor. Love it but it can be a little rough riding in bad weather because it's so lite. I wish I had a 21ftr. They are a little less tippy.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
    Aug 6, 2012
    Valencia, CA
    Name
    Anthony Hicks
    Boat
    Good Deal
    I’ve got a 19ft bayrunner. Great rig overall but not an offshore boat. I’ve been in some knarly weather though and never felt unsafe in her.

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
    Jul 3, 2012
    Carpinteria
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
    My 16' is like a jet ski. 13 gallon tank under front deck for better weight distribution and bow rails for safety. Mid bait tank. I love it for solo and two.
    I can post or PM more recent pics in my phone if you like as this is an old pic.

IMG_1777.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0