Bayrunner Hull Corrosion

Enzo21

Jan 2, 2021
Halfmoon Bay / San Diego
Name
Lorenzo
Boat
18ft Bayrunner
Had a very small leak in the bow of my bayrunner, had it patched up but noticed lots of white corrosion spots on the bow area of the hull. The boat has no grounds to the hull and has not ever leaked until now. Will these spots continue to eat through the hull or is this fairly normal for theses older aluminum hulls? I have zincs on the transom area and wash the boat well after each use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
7DCBAC8F-4A7C-4563-A3C9-676B278CAAC0.jpeg
B0EE506A-4692-40C6-9D44-87BE0407D50B.jpeg
92685149-9250-4255-998A-17AD730DBE72.jpeg

Reactions: woodfish330

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    I got nothing at the moment, but what year is the boat?

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Had a couple of VALCO's in the day. Great boat. Now a couple of thoughts....first the pictures you've posted look like every other 45 year old aluminum hulled boats. You can never beat the corrosion completely in our salt environment. Using a heavy "scrunge" like the ones to clean your grill will help a little. Watch around the rivets...as you know....even 2 aluminums of slightly different quality can start the electrolysis.

Your leak may have come from many years of hull pounding.... and the relaxing of the joints due to this wear. Good luck.

Keep washing it with the fresh water after each trip though.... maybe all you can do. Have you tried a quality wax.... polymer coat? Could be worth investigating. Otherwise....ride it till the wheels fall off....lol.

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0

CooldadE

Mar 28, 2010
    Antioch,Ca
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    13'4" Gregor
    Maybe Install a new aluminum type anode on your hull. But be sure to stand it off of the hull a bit...
    my 2cents...

Cool

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
    Apr 3, 2019
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Ace
    Boat
    Always changing
    Looks like just about every aluminum in the water. There’s a difference between electrolysis, and galvanic corrosion. Corrosion will happen regardless of what you do. There’s ways to mitigate the amount, like fresh water washes and anodes. But inevitably you will get corrosion. Yours doesn’t look terrible. What does the spot that started leaking look like? Are you sure it was caused by corrosion eating through the hull or was it caused by a meeting point of a stringer and the hull? I’ve had tin boats in the past that needed small holes patched, and that’s all I did. Patch em and keep fishing the hell out of the boat

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    I have had a couple of Bayrunners so I have a little experience. My short answer is yes, that is where the holes are going to be. On the areas where it is the worst, I used to take an ice pick and see if I could push it through the corrosion. I was lucky as I had a TIG welder at my disposal so I could fix it. One boat had very little corrosion over the years, the other one, quite a bit. It had a ground wire that had rubbed through the plastic coating and when in the water was using the hull as an earth ground. I would look to see if you have that problem.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Enzo21

Jan 2, 2021
    Halfmoon Bay / San Diego
    Name
    Lorenzo
    Boat
    18ft Bayrunner
    Thanks everyone, going to run some new battery cable and check all the other wiring just to be 100% sure no current is making its way back to the hull. Replacing the anodes is not a terrible idea either. One thing I did realize is that I forgot to disconnect my battery when the boat sat for a month or so this winter, wondering if that could have contributed to the issue.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I do not disconnect my 2 batteries, but they are in plastic boxes. I shut them off at the perko. I think (guess) a little spotting is normal, my westcoaster has some, but is pretty clean. I wonder if it can be polished out. Do you worry about inside the hull electrolysis from fish hooks and dissimilar metals? Mine is dry, stored inside, but I do not want to tear up floorboards looking!

Upvote 0

Enzo21

Jan 2, 2021
    Halfmoon Bay / San Diego
    Name
    Lorenzo
    Boat
    18ft Bayrunner
    I do not disconnect my 2 batteries, but they are in plastic boxes. I shut them off at the perko. I think (guess) a little spotting is normal, my westcoaster has some, but is pretty clean. I wonder if it can be polished out. Do you worry about inside the hull electrolysis from fish hooks and dissimilar metals? Mine is dry, stored inside, but I do not want to tear up floorboards looking!
    I have the deck pulled right now and there only the one small pin hole and maybe two other small corrosion spots. Thinking it could have been a bolt that was in there that i may have missed while pressure washing.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    My Bayrunner had this same issue, where it started leaking from the inside out. Turned out there was some acidic salt water trapped near the bow, as some of the small drain holes were clogged.

Cleared the drain holes, washed out with some baking soda and had the leak welded over. You can't do anything about the pitting, except get some aluminum polish and apply elbow grease.

Fishy-ist boat I ever owned!

IMG017.JPG

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    I have a 1985 hull, Westcoaster which is similar to Bayrunner. Have had the boat for 25 years or so. 19 feet 11 inches is my foot hull hull length.

usual ritual is every year or so I fill the hull with freshwater and use a big crayon (like the ones carpenters use ) and circle every leak. Then I patch the holes. There was pitting when I got the boat in the 1990's.

used various materials over the years to fix them. Thinking about using FLEXSHIELD next time but do it on the inside as I need new floorboards. Always used to seal the holes from the outside.

Good luck.

Reactions: butcherboy

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I was wondering if you used the 2 part West Marine fiberglass filler? Hard as hell, but unknown about how it would work on metal. Probably better on the inside.

Upvote 0

Enzo21

Jan 2, 2021
    Halfmoon Bay / San Diego
    Name
    Lorenzo
    Boat
    18ft Bayrunner
    I was wondering if you used the 2 part West Marine fiberglass filler? Hard as hell, but unknown about how it would work on metal. Probably better on the inside.
    I normally just fill leaks with 5200 from the inside and have never had a issue. Stuff lasts forever and can flex with the hull unlike jb weld. Cheap fix, not pretty but works.

Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
    Apr 29, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    25 skipjack -Albatross
    Always thought one disimilar metal plus time causes that electrolysis. One side steel screw in the aluminum Plus salt water and time. Keep water out. Jb waterweld any pitting where water can get in. Usually transom is pretty pitted from ob and bolts etc. Part of the life of aluminum boats i always thought

Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Ocean Park, Wa
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    You could sand the bottom, acid wash it then prime it before applying an epoxy barrier coat followed with either anti fouling or just another coat of epoxy paint. It would look great and the hull would be protected.

Upvote 0

Enzo21

Jan 2, 2021
    Halfmoon Bay / San Diego
    Name
    Lorenzo
    Boat
    18ft Bayrunner
    You could sand the bottom, acid wash it then prime it before applying an epoxy barrier coat followed with either anti fouling or just another coat of epoxy paint. It would look great and the hull would be protected.
    Thats a good idea was thinking about doing that. Is there a specific paint needed for aluminum boats?

Upvote 0

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
    Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
    I've had Bayrunner Bajas forever. My current 2000 21' lives on the beach at LA Bay about 75' from high tide. And it's been there a long, long time. Rarely gets a fresh water wash on the hull other than once a year rain. I don't have any leaks but those white spots seem normal to me. I always understood that's a normal process for the aluminum as it oxidizes. I also read years ago not to bond the electrics to the hull. In my case, my batteries and all the negatives for lights, pumps, etc., ground to the buss bar. And the buss bar does not ground to the hull.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Saltwater, stray current and any two pieces of metal meeting will all encourage corrosion. Normally a boat is built from a marine grade alloy that should develop its own protective oxidized layer (dull grey). Any time you get a nick or ding it opens up that oxidized layer and allows corrosion to start. I have owned one boat in my life. It is now 32 years old and I just dropped a new outboard on it. I have always had a large zinc anode on it just in case. Biggest corrosion issues I have had have been crevice corrosion related. Window frames where the gasket holds moisture against the aluminum.

If you do not already have a good zinc anode below the waterline you might look into adding one. Painting the hull is a two edged sward. Once you do it you need to maintain it or it can become the source of corrosion as chips in the paint trap moisture and encourage corrosion.

I would look over your hull and have any significant corrosion spots cleaned up and welded. Do it all at once and the cost should be reasonable if you do the prep and all a welder has to do is spot weld the area.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0