BurningHeart

Wayward Son
Oct 12, 2010
Bakersfield
Name
Joel
Boat
N/A....I wish
Thanks for all the info, folks. The times I’ve gone spottie fishing it’s been a 1/2-3/8oz Warbait with Christmas tree or sexy shad colors sometimes slow and steady or sometimes pause here and there and smashed on the drop. Tried a homemade jika rig with a 3/8oz bass weight and a pumpkin/black flake or a watermelon/red flake creature and they seemed to enjoy that offering as well. Loved the times I could get out and hunt for spotties, Im way way inland but am planning to do so again soon.

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
It’s been a million years, but my old reliable was the 3” AA motor oil (could be chartreuse) curly tail grub AKA the Mike Gardner Special on a 1/4 or 3/8 oz football head and 6# line. The football head orients the hook up, lowering your risk of snagging the bottom. Of course about anything small will work. Spotties Seem to eat about anything—especially at night.

Upvote 0

HTA

Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
When Davey's Locker used to have the old boats with the bait wells in the center we would pass on the anchovies and go straight for the sardines. Fished straight 20 pound braid on a Abu Garcia bait caster, 1/0 O'Shannesy bronze 9174 with a 1/2oz slider. We would back troll the boat against the current flipping above, in and around the dock pilling's. I can not tell you how savage the Spottie's would strike the bait but they were bone jarring at times. We allowed time for them to take the bait, but found a majority of the time they were injured from deep hook sets. We went to a number 10 2x bronze treble trap hook between the dorsal and tail. Hook ups went from 30% to 40% to over 90% and injured fish dropped to zero. The quality and number of Spottie's caught were unimaginable. We had so many fish between 2-3 lbs, we managed quite a few 3 plus and one we guessed at close to 5 lbs. It was all catch and release fishing. The bycatch was also of excellent grade as halibut, leopard shark, calico, sand bass, striped bass would also fall to the sardine.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
Gulp camo jerk or white 3" gulp grub with a 3/16 darter head on a skiff. Its like cheating, 20 fish in 2 hours when its good.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    For years as a kid in San Diego I fished around the docks of Shelter island. My goto was a green gitzit bounced off the bottom. Lots of bycatch sandies and the occasional halibut. Simple and very effective.
    Boy that Gitzit..... Motor oil..... With a red with red fleck curly tail underneath..... was a "secret bait" for Newport. Also said the post about Mike Gardner.... He use to do charters ....In Newport Bay. Pretty good teacher.....good fisherman for sure. ... brings back my Grey hair....lol. Anyways good luck brother.

Reactions: Tranquility
    Upvote 0

bsandls

I don't know what I don't know
  • Jul 7, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    20' Tiara
    I love spotties. Grew up fishing Newport Harbor with a few friends and usually rented the skiffs. Back then the skiffs came with live bait so we would fish the anchovy on a #2 hook and 6 or 8 lb test. Spotted Bay Bass all day long. When bait was scarce we would fish these paddle tails with a spoonbill on the lead head, cant remember the name of them. We also used to troll a lot of Bomber A lures and catch tons of spotties and some halibut. Good times

Reactions: FishinMcNuggets
    Upvote 0

Latest posts