Battery replacement??

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
Parker 2120
Hi guys. Question for you. How often do you replace your boat batteries? I have two and one of them has a June 20018 sticker while the other one is from June 2019. Is it time to replace 2018 one? I do take the boat far offshore and will start bringing a smaller spare battery just in case.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Usually 5 years.A lot depends on the quality going in and placement.They don't live as long if in a hot engine room.Tom

Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
36’ Tiara Express
If wet cells, make sure to check water each season and keep the cells covered. As mentioned you should get 5 years or so out of them

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Check them every season with a Hydrometer and make sure you top off any low cell with distilled water.

(Hydrometers are $10-15 and can tell you a lot about the condition of a battery.)

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Do you keep them on a charger? (trickle or solar charger)

If you have reservations about the battery you can take them out and bring them to just about any auto parts store and ask them to load test them for you. That is another way to determine if a battery is good.

Always remember, just because a battery shows 12+ volts, does not mean it is good. If one of the cells is bad, that 12 volts will not go anywhere. Essentially the battery will not have the "umph" to turn your starter.

If you are looking for a hard and fast date to replace by, I wouldn't go longer than 5 years if you are not checking the condition of the battery. Who knows, at 5 years they may still be great, but you got to check them.

Batteries rarely fail out of the blue. They can usually be caught with a little preventative maintenance.

Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
    Jun 5, 2012
    La Mesa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Sea Pro 170DC
    Replace both not just one. Check out San Diego Deep Cycle Battery. Those guys are great to deal with.

I'll second this opinion. These guys have good prices on batteries. Easy dudes to work with and very knowledgeable. The carry all kinds of batteries. I've been using their house brand for several years now.

Upvote 0
    Oct 23, 2019
    San Clemente
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Robalo R180
    Hi guys. Question for you. How often do you replace your boat batteries? I have two and one of them has a June 20018 sticker while the other one is from June 2019. Is it time to replace 2018 one? I do take the boat far offshore and will start bringing a smaller spare battery just in case.

Thank you.
    Upgraded from wet cell to lifeline AGM last year, really happy with them though they were pricey. Deep Cycle Battery San Diego sells Lifeline

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I don't change batteries until they start showing issues like declining capacity, bad cell etc. I have plenty of battery capacity on the boat so if I lose a battery while out no big deal.

As the Capt'n says load test them.

Not a fan of the semi sealed wet cell batteries. PITA to add water and yes you can drive water out of them. Often with the semi sealed (low maintenance) type you can get the caps off to check water. Your caps look like they may screw in.

Even with a quality 3 stage charger I check wet cell batteries at least twice a year - more if your deeply discharging them. Fill them to the recommended level which is up to the bottom of the 2 tabs that go down into the cell in the fill hole.

Upvote 0