Battery question cause I know there is a expert out there !!!!

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dog Beach Mostly
Name
Mike
Boat
Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
My boat takes 2 12 volt batts. Hooked in series both are junk. I got a new high cranking batt. For free from a friend and a new deep cycle batt. From another friend is it cool to put them together in series. ?????? Thank you in advance

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
No, different amp hours and discharge rates. I have a similar config but run them on a selector switch and don't use the "All" setting.

Reactions: ConSeaMate
Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Not recommended because they will balance each other out.....
10. Battery Do's

• Think Safety First.
  • Do read entire tutorial
  • Do regular inspection and maintenance especially in hot weather.
  • Do recharge batteries immediately after discharge.
  • Do buy the highest RC reserve capacity or AH amp hour battery that will fit your configuration.

11. Battery Don'ts

• Don't forget safety first.
  • Don't add new electrolyte (acid).
  • Don't use unregulated high output battery chargers to charge batteries.
  • Don't place your equipment and toys into storage without some type of device to keep the battery charged.
  • Don't disconnect battery cables while the engine is running (your battery acts as a filter).
  • Don't put off recharging batteries.
  • Don't add tap water as it may contain minerals that will contaminate the electrolyte.
  • Don't discharge a battery any deeper than you possibly have to.
  • Don't let a battery get hot to the touch and boil violently when charging.
  • Don't mix size and types of batteries.
- See more at: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html#sthash.3t1EvdiW.dpuf

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
upload_2015-7-30_13-40-2.jpeg

I THINK YOU MEAN PARALLEL. otherwise agree with the others above.

Upvote 0

tom havelka

Feb 4, 2014
Name
tom havelka
Boat
none
do you have tow service Iam a battery man /fisherman forever My advice go with newer made in AMERICA BATTERIES SET YOUR BOAT UP WITH A SMART MARINE SWITCH when the key is off your draining your deep cycle not your starting battery when you start the starting batt gets topped off then it charges the deep cycle match that with a smart duel bank charger so you can top the batteries off with out cooking the batteries
and youll get years of service

Upvote 0

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dog Beach Mostly
Name
Mike
Boat
Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
I guess I didn't give enough info , I also have two 6 volt batts also so I have 4 batts total and two 4 way master switches to isolate as needed, my question is when the 12 volt bank is on both does it matter if one batt. Is regular and one is deep cycle. ??? I don't see how it could matter !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
11. Battery Don'ts

• Don't forget safety first.
  • Don't add new electrolyte (acid).
  • Don't use unregulated high output battery chargers to charge batteries.
  • Don't place your equipment and toys into storage without some type of device to keep the battery charged.
  • Don't disconnect battery cables while the engine is running (your battery acts as a filter).
  • Don't put off recharging batteries.
  • Don't add tap water as it may contain minerals that will contaminate the electrolyte.
  • Don't discharge a battery any deeper than you possibly have to.
  • Don't let a battery get hot to the touch and boil violently when charging.
  • Don't mix size and types of batteries.
- See more at: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html#sthash.3t1EvdiW.dpuf
The last one.........

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
I guess I didn't give enough info , I also have two 6 volt batts also so I have 4 batts total and two 4 way master switches to isolate as needed, my question is when the 12 volt bank is on both does it matter if one batt. Is regular and one is deep cycle. ??? I don't see how it could matter !

If a deep cycle and a cranking battery are NOT used as a single bank meaning they are on separate poles on the switch your OK.

To give better answers you need to describe/diagram how the batteries/switches are wired.

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Have the starting battery for just in case. Otherwise, your starting battery will end up degraded when you need it the most. Agm batteries are better. I plan to get two similar. Use one as a solo battery one trip. Turn selector switch and run the other battery the next. This way, you always having one in reserve.

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Charging an AGM battery is different. Make sure your covered.

Upvote 0