Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I run 2 grp 27 for house and 2 grp 24 (i beleive) for starting....all agm.
    Boat stays on the trailer and never plugged in all the time, usually just a day or 2 to top off just before a trip. Have solar panels for the grp 27 as well.

thinking of switching out my old charger as I don't think it's compatible with AGM's. Since I don't use a charger frequently I not sure if there is a need to get a high dollar unit that's not being used continually.

Any reason I should not use a $200 charger like this one

Over a higer price one like this?

Last edited:

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    You should be fine with the Promariner. You can certainly find it cheaper other places. Also, if you are only running two banks you don't need the "plus" version, that version can support 3 banks. Whereas the standard version is for 2 banks.

The nice thing with this charger for the price range is it has logic. If your starting batteries are full it will divert the rest of the 20 amp charge to the house bank or vice versa.

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    You should be fine with the Promariner. You can certainly find it cheaper other places. Also, if you are only running two banks you don't need the "plus" version, that version can support 3 banks. Whereas the standard version is for 2 banks.

The nice thing with this charger for the price range is it has logic. If your starting batteries are full it will divert the rest of the 20 amp charge to the house bank or vice versa.

I am running 3 banks. the house are tied together and the starting are separate 1 for each motor

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
    Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Go ProMariner. Made for boats. Mine is wired in on the shore power. Smart Technology maintains the system. keeps your batteries charged without cooking them.

I have a CTech, Norco, and a 50amp Boost charger for my on shore CAR, TRACTORS and other such chit.

Fat Daddy

Almost A Member
    Sep 27, 2004
    Corona
    Name
    Andy
    Boat
    Parker 2520 DVSC Diesel
    ProMariner. I cut the cord on mine and wired to to a waterproof 120 socket. Unplug and go. Lazy. I run two 31s for house and a seperate 31 for starting. Keeps them conditioned, topped off, and ready without fail.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    you could get a Noco Genius series...I use them for my motorhome....
    Got the same setup, but my starter batts are wet. I got the noco waterproof chargers. The starter batts charger is in the bilge on a bulk head. Been there for 4 years no issues. The house are forward.

Been happy with .noco. My first chargers died when I took on some rain water....

benrd81

May 21, 2009
    Lompoc, ca
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    The promariner I had on the boat 2009 vintage was not marine grade wire out of the charger and after 5 years sitting in the bilge the ends rotted off. Might want to find out if they have upgraded the wiring before you go that route. I'm running an xantrex and has worked like a charm for the last 5 years.

sixty

Jul 12, 2005
    Vegas & Ensenada
    Name
    Corey
    Boat
    Hatteras 36 "El Dorado", Hatteras 60 "Reel Action"
    I could never get the pro mariners to last. Finally installed Iota single bank smart chargers and never had another problem. Have to mount them in a dry location though

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I could never get the pro mariners to last. Finally installed Iota single bank smart chargers and never had another problem. Have to mount them in a dry location though

I actually have an Iota DLS-90 ( I think) but it's not made for marine application. It's really for clean power for re-flashing automotive computers

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I would assume you don't come home with the cranking batteries run way down? If the panel takes care of the house bank OK you might look into a Deltran Battery Tender. I don't know offhand how they are with AGMs so check that out.

As far as the Promariner I have a 20 on my boat and it has been great for my needs. I have flooded batteries and it does a very good job of not driving an excessive amount of water out of them. While not an issue for you to I see it as a well designed charging profile. It also has some nice features like once a month it goes from float to a full charge cycle to make sure everything is ready to go.

Reactions: Papa "J"

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
    Corona
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
    I have the promariner ProNautic 1250 installed And love it. I haven't been in the water since ive installed it, but I've used the batteries enough while working at the boat enough to see the charger work.

It's a 3 bank charger capable of an AGM charge profile.

Are you in a slip or on the hard? What's your alternator charging side look like?

Lastly, I HIGHLY recommend a Balmar SG200. It's a bad ass piece, for sure!

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I have the promariner ProNautic 1250 installed And love it. I haven't been in the water since ive installed it, but I've used the batteries enough while working at the boat enough to see the charger work.

It's a 3 bank charger capable of an AGM charge profile.

Are you in a slip or on the hard? What's your alternator charging side look like?

Lastly, I HIGHLY recommend a Balmar SG200. It's a bad ass piece, for sure!

On the trailer in my driveway 95% of the time. My alternators are rated for 70 amp each I believe and both motors have auxiliary charging ports as well so II could charge everything direct keep it all isolated without having to put my battery switched on "both".

Im exploring some different options but most likely looking at the newer promariner HD plus. 20amp 3 bank. For around $200 it's should be more than I need.

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
    Corona
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
    I completely revamped my entire electrical system. AC Delco 10si alternators fit my engine and I had then converted to externally regulated. Theyre CHEAP, readily available, and come in at 100 amps.

I put Balmar MC614 regulators and now can make custom charge profiles with my alternators (voltage, cycles, amperage, temperature...pretty much anything). My alternators go to a proisocharge to distribute charge as my shore power charger does when plugged in.

What I'm getting at is, your shore power charger is really only a small part of your charging system. If you're concerned about your shore power charger being compatible with AGM (and you should be), then you should be equally concerned about your alternators being compatible with your AGM batteries. For the record, your alternators will never put out 70 amps in the real world if they are not externally regulated. They're likely putting out half of that.

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
    Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat
    Trophy 2509
    +1 vote for the Mastervolt ChargeMaster route!!

I recently picked up a basically new ChargeMaster 12v/70a/3-bank Charger on eBay for $100.00 and absolutely LOVE it. Was super easy to add on a small color touchscreen remote viewing panel at my helm to monitor all aspects battery related too.

Quite impressed with the ChargeMaster and the many many features/functions it is capable of performing. Don’t think you could go wrong with any of the Mastervolt products.....if you can stomach the prices of course.....

Reactions: Papa "J"

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    +1 vote for the Mastervolt ChargeMaster route!!

I recently picked up a basically new ChargeMaster 12v/70a/3-bank Charger on eBay for $100.00 and absolutely LOVE it. Was super easy to add on a small color touchscreen remote viewing panel at my helm to monitor all aspects battery related too.

Quite impressed with the ChargeMaster and the many many features/functions it is capable of performing. Don’t think you could go wrong with any of the Mastervolt products.....if you can stomach the prices of course.....

For $100 Id get 2

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
    Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat
    Trophy 2509
    For $100 Id get 2

Yah I’m known amongst my family and friends as “Thee eBay Ninja/Sniper/Guru”
    I’ve scored more insanely tremendous deals on eBay than you could even begin to believe or imagine. 😂

Ended up winning that new ChargeMaster 12/70/3 for $100 and free shipping.......the seller arranged for some dude to literally hand carry it over to me in SoCal from New Zealand. 🤯

Pretty stoked with how it functions after getting it installed and trying it out for a bit.