c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Very important to use marine grade wire....tinned.You already knew that though.Just wanted to make sure.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
If you can cancel your order...

Also, I would solder instead. Put the cable end in a vice and heat with a torch. When hot melt a bunch of solder in it and stick the cable end in and hold until it sets.
You must heat both ends before joining them together or it will produce a cold solder joint, right?

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
The only reason to add solder is to provide a "gas proof" connection. The lug will provide a high conductive joint if done properly.

The purpose of "gas proof" is to eliminate corrosion. Consider Noalox or Penetrox E depending on the lug materail. Added to cable and worked into individual conductors will make a great connection. That with quality adhesive lined heat shrink will last a long time in a marine environment.

If you insist on solder, it should be done after it's crimped. The only issue is the heat required that will very likely melt the insulation.

Upvote 0

4L2NA

Almost A Member
Apr 14, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Larry
Boat
25' Davis RHLC, D4, FinAddict
Maybe you have read this article:

https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables

That is the routine that I pretty much follow. I have used both the hammer type crimpers and the FTZ rotating die crimpers. I like the FTZ unit alot better, but it is more expensive, but worth it if you do a good amount of heavy wire work. It becomes easier to justify when you think of how much it would cost you if you hired someone else to do the job.

Good luck with the project, should be a piece of cake for you, lots of good info on this thread.

Reactions: aguachico
Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
I order my wire here...

https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Custom-Cables/Custom-Cables-foot

I order battery cables with the lugs professionally installed. The holes in the lugs on your battery may be different than the holes in the lugs connecting to your motor. You can order the correct gauge and hole size here.

The copper wires are tinned.

You will be happy with these cables. Most of us on the ArimaOwners website use this supplier. Good pricing and quick delivery.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
The crimp tool that's on order looks like the HF tool above. I also ordered some 3/8" lugs as well, they look to be the right fit for the starter, or the battery gnd. They might be the right fit for the battery switch and engine gnd as well. the cable come with lugs on it, but I'm not sure about the size. Thanks for the offer Kman, I may have to take you up on it if my tool of lugs don't work out. I also need to source some red heat stink. To prevent oxidation, add liquid tape prior to heat shrink tubing is my go to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
My dubious quality Chinese hydraulic crimp set has arrived with a bit of shipping damage and 8 dubious die sets. It looks like it will crimp anything that I will ever need if it holds up. So far not a bad buy for $26. My cable should show up tomorrow. If its dry I might even get something done.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Problem solved. The boat now turns over like it should. The cable came with two 3/8" lugs installed. I cut it and crimped two 3/8" lugs on the other end. The only down side is, the cable was not plated. As fare as the tool. it worked at least twice and it cost $23. I contacted GLS and advised them of the error. They offered me a $15 refund. Works for me.

Bad cable.jpg Cable 1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0