Batson RX-6 vs RX-7 What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by kgpcr, Dec 28, 2011.

1. kgpcr

kgpcr Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    18' Lund
    I am going to build a10wt fly rod for Alaska. I dont really cast with it but just flip for reds on the Kenai. I am going to build it on a 2pc RX-6 or RX-7 blank. What is the real difference between them?

2. Bill Batson

Bill Batson Bill Batson Advertiser

Name:
    Bill Batson
    Boat:
    Bayrunner, Leiana Rae
    Rainshadow RX6 material is Standard Modulus / High Strain Rate fiber ( 33 Million) with a light fiberglass scrim.
    Rainshadow RX7 is Intermediate Modulus / High Strain Rate fiber ( 43 Million)
    both are bonded with a proprietary resin system.
    In Short I would recommend the RX6 (F9010-2DB) for the application you require due to its durability to get beat up. I know of this fishery and our rods have performed very well up there. The RX7 (IF9010-OG or M) is .002 oz lighter and could also handle the job. Basically it almost comes down to a few dollars or a color choice. the RX6 comes in a Midnight gloss blue and the RX7 comes in the Olympic Green or matte Gray. Make sure either way to build it bullet proof with a big fighting butt, aluminum double locking fly reel seat and a full well cork. Talk to Mark at C&M / Acid rod, he is up on the fly stuff. I am sure he would be more than happy to help you.
    Kevin >> another member here has an awesome experience from that fishery, i know it is in the archives somewhere here. Maybe he will chime in for a few pointers as well.
    I will fish that fishery one day. I hear it is fun/hectic>> Have a great time and take some pictures.
    Bill Batson
    Fisherman/rod builder.

3. kgpcr

kgpcr Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    18' Lund
    Bill that is me who sent you the email. this is the rod that is repacing the one i talked about.

4. Bill Batson

Bill Batson Bill Batson Advertiser

Name:
    Bill Batson
    Boat:
    Bayrunner, Leiana Rae
    Kevin, LOL>> now i see it>
    Thank you for the support.
    Bill Batson