brian 171

Jun 10, 2006
San Diego and Central Coast
Name
Brian
Boat
Kayak
Howdy all,
Looking for some advice on the Batson Cold Shrink. Just got some to try for the first time. Building a Seeker ESM 7650.

Used EPDM 1.25OD for the rear grip. I plan to use Cold Shrink or X Shrink tube on the fore grip. The Cold Shrink is pretty thick and I do not want to make a massive grip.

Trying to determine if a 1” or 1.25” EPDM grip is best. Also, should I install the grip first and then use the Cold Shrink?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Install grip first, then add cold shrink. If you compress the grip with the cold shtink it will be really hard to get the grip on the blank. The cold shrink is a little thick, so if you want the grip to be thin I would go with a thinner grip to start with.

Another thing ive done is sanded down the grip and then added the cold shrink to it, especially if my grip is 16in and i get a 12in cold shrink. I sand with a special tool, i forgot what its called.

Heat shrink is okay, but it rips fairly quickly, so i would go with cold shrink if its going to be your primary rail rod. The heat shrink works great for slip protection on your hands, but the rail is aggressive.

gpm414

Sep 13, 2006
Northwest Coast, Long Beach peninsula
Name
Gary
Boat
Sailfish 2680 WAC, twin Yamaha 150, Simrad Electronics
I'm at a similar place in my rail rod builds. The grips are 1 1/4 hypalon.and wondering how much the cold shrink will compress the grip diameter.

Is it difficult to shave down hypalon by sanding, or ? Above Hector mentioned a tool...maybe a picture of it.

Jose Caballero

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2016
sb
Name
Jose Caballero
Boat
"Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
Is it difficult to shave down hypalon by sanding, or ? Above Hector mentioned a tool...maybe a picture of it.
i'm not sure i understand your question correctly, but once hypalon has been attached to your blank, you can chuck it up on a high-speed motor and just use coarse sand paper to lathe into any desired diameter/taper profile (i've used home-made sewing machine and power drill chucks, but now i just use the highest speed setting on my rod wrapper). i'm sure you'll find a million youtube videos about how to lathe your rod grips, and i'm sure you can do this to shape before applying shrink tubing.

and yeah, i like the cork tape under the cold shrink, it feels a little more dense and gives you excellent control of finish diameter.

Reactions: gpm414

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
This is what I use to thin them enough, then shape with sand paper. Thats when i have to get rid of about 1/4in of material. If im doing under 1/4in i just use sandpaper in my wrapper.

Tip: put a trash bag under the grip near the base of the wrapper and make sure it covers towards the back and front of the wrapper. The mess it makes gets everywhere at high speeds.

Attachments

Reactions: gpm414

canoecaper

Feb 19, 2020
UK
Name
Malcolm Hayward
Boat
Club Charter
Howdy all,
Looking for some advice on the Batson Cold Shrink. Just got some to try for the first time. Building a Seeker ESM 7650.

Used EPDM 1.25OD for the rear grip. I plan to use Cold Shrink or X Shrink tube on the fore grip. The Cold Shrink is pretty thick and I do not want to make a massive grip.

Trying to determine if a 1” or 1.25” EPDM grip is best. Also, should I install the grip first and then use the Cold Shrink?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
I've used lots of this. The mutts nuts.
As long as you can get it's removeable skeleton over the target, use as small as possible. Expensive. Yes, thick. Needs a hard pull to remove the support coil.
Shrinks slowly but inexorably. I use mine over Hypalon.
Yes, you can still get it.
Position with care.
It will compress Hypalon somewhat over several days.
I then clamp my reel on top, deckhand style.
You can pull it out considerably. 18" can go to 24".
Batson provide it to the rod building trade in two inconvenient lengths.
A 3M product for the power companies to seal external cable connections.
Been around circa 30 years. Get mine from CharkBait.
Love it.
Rgds.

Reactions: yessokk and Cubeye