Bassin, bait and more bait #2015 Offshore Fishing Video

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by the SLIDER, Jul 2, 2017.

1. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Greetings;

The Dana point area is healthy, teaming with life. So much so that fishing is below average in my opinion. This time mini chov's, birds and the mack's below causing all of the commotion. So thick were the chove's that I took my bait net and captured some for the tank.

Went to the usual spots to find very little current or the reliable bites. Even tried some kelp beds to no avail. Water was about 66-68 degrees, very clear. I passed some water that looked like chocolate milk on the way out, nah. After seeing all the bait in the nice clean water, I thought to myself; chov's don't like cloudy water, go fish in the chocolate milk, bass don't give a crap. For 1 hour it was nonstop bass bites in the murky water with no current. Go figure.

SnapShot.jpg
    Pre-kiss captured on gopro.

2015 Offshore Video;

This video was on my heart to make because there were a lot of clips of the ocean itself that didn't make it to the tapes that year. Beautiful rain, wind, glass, skies, bait, paddies and plain nature. To me half of the experience of fishing on the skiff is the exploration aspect. whether it's close to a reef inshore or 16 M out in the crystal clear water. Now I can finally let 2015 summer be a memory in the past.

Over the last few years I have been video taping some of my fishing excursions, editing and uploading them on You Tube. I finally have a small collection of videos to see. Most were put together in a day or two in order to get them on Bloody Decks in a timely manner. I really enjoy making them, almost as much as I do catching the fish. I am kinda at a dead end filming myself because it's all the same shots on the same skiff in the same area. There's a lot of extra work videoing yourself and detracts from the total fishing experience. The plus is, when you do catch fish you can watch it over and over again for enjoyment and as a by-product you can see how you can improve your catching style.

Since I have some pretty good experience video taping and editing on an experimental level for my enjoyment, I would like purpose my services to anyone who needs a video. To promote fishing gear, promote yourself, or document a good time with friends or family. For now, I will do it for free, however I may be selective to some degree.

See my Videos at;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0ngC18w95bMf-VRhQxHZ24fNi4xRlMe

Or my simple website;

https://multimediabylj.com/

Thanks to Bloody Decks - the user friendly website. It really has it all . . . L J

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    jiggyn, Worthy, sushimi and 4 others like this.
  2. charliecat

charliecat on a fishin' mission

Name:
    charlie cat
    Boat:
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    Cool video man! Some nice fish there. It's 'multimedia' , yeah?

the SLIDER likes this.
  3. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Being it's the 4th it's a good time to thank all those who served in the military in order to keep our freedom and support out interest abroad. I really appreciate the sacrifices you guys made for our country.

Hardcor, geramiecg and Caseydmaze like this.
  4. sushimi

sushimi Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    Edgewater 175
    Great video compilation! It was great to see all those videos altogether. Man! I miss fishing those Tuna and yellowtail of 2015! Your videos are always fun to watch and always has great music. Thanks Slider and I will take you up on that video offer soon!

Sushimi arigato out!

the SLIDER likes this.
  5. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Thank you. Yeah Multimedia came to me when I worked at the church A/V dept. at CBC. We did everything there, kinda stuck.

6. b-reel

b-reel Member

Name:
    HP
    Boat:
    none yet
    Sweet! A side from the big fish, any bad experience in that tinny?

the SLIDER likes this.
  7. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Thanks b-reel.

Bad experience in the skiff. Not too many. One comes to mind. Got a few minutes?

It was a very humid, tropical like day. Ocean was fairly calm. I was cruising around about 9M out from San Onofre. I came up on two boats that appeared to be locked into a fish, then I see a nice paddy up the line. They must have been bit and drifted off. I plug into action and drop a nice free-lined mack by the target. As I look to the north of me there's a real nasty cloud coming directly into my path. Off the drift I get picked up twice but no full run. I am metering fish below and they are fairly dense marks. I had drift off the paddy about 100 yards and it was time to pull up for another attempt. As I turned uphill the wind starts to pick up to about 15 knots with slight rain. By the time I got close to the paddy (which I could not locate again) the wind picked up to a solid 25 knots with a pouring rain. Seas turned instantly nasty, five foot chop, I was in a squall!! I hunted for that paddy for about five minutes. Thank God I didn't locate it, otherwise the outcome may have been different.

(Rain is not uncommon in the ocean nor is sudden wind. This phenomenon I had never seen)
    Back to the story; when common sense comes back to me, I immediately pin a course back to DP straight uphill. I was soon to realize, by the amount of water getting into the skiff, this direction is not sustainable and I can't drive and bail water at the same time. I'm 9M out, crap. New plan. I head towards shore in a direction that offers the least amount of water. By this time I am frightened. Oh yah, a bucket had to be placed over the electronics, they were getting a soak, mostly from the ocean that was pouring buckets over the rail. I was like a wet rat attempting to save his life.

I saw two large yachts fighting uphill on the way back and they weren't doing much better. They must have been laughing their asses off at the sight of me.

I finally was about a mile offshore and then headed uphill, by then the wind calmed down to about 15 knots. Luckily I was prepared with extra fuel for the extended trip. There was a thought of going downhill to OS for safety reasons. Had enough gas for that as well. How would I trailer the skiff though? By the time I got back to DP harbor the birds were singing, the sun was out and seas were calm again.

After this trip I purchased a sea anchor - In case I go dead in the water my bow will point into the wind
    I already had a radio - I bought a floatable handheld radio
    Tossed the old fashion PFD's - Got nice inflatables now
    Installed an automatic bilge pump
    Bought some small inflatable rafts
    Replenished my flairs

Been fishing on the SLIDER for about 25 years now, thought I had seen it all.
    Be prepared, you never know what you may encounter out there.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  8. Reel_Brew

Reel_Brew Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Grady White 228
    Great video! Really enjoyed.

the SLIDER likes this.
  9. ogirstein

ogirstein Newbie

Name:
    ogir
    Boat:
    not yet
    Wait, you are the guy who writes and performs your own music.....Too funny! All kidding aside, I really admire your courage and skills, I wish I had the cojones to do what you do.

In the past 5 or 6 years I have fished on my friends 58 foot boat that has all the bells and whistles on could wish for. I have become so spoiled and somewhat arrogant as I turn up my nose at my friends invitations to fish on their small vessels, lol. Watching you reminds of the what the essence of fishing is all about and it is obvious that your really enjoy it. Great job and keep the great videos and not soooo great music coming. I'm just kidding about the music.

the SLIDER likes this.
  10. b-reel

b-reel Member

Name:
    HP
    Boat:
    none yet
    Thank God you made it back! Man, good write up on that harrowing experience. Felt the wind on my face. Thanks for sharing. Remember hearing about some fellas that flipped over in a 16ft aluminum about a year or two ago near Long Beach. That's been stoping me from looking into an aluminum boat, but your vids give me hope. Lol. Once again, good job.

the SLIDER likes this.
  11. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Thanks, kind words.
    Need to talk big bucks into having me aboard to video tape a trip. It will cost him nothing. Sure would be a great start to making better videos.

12. ogirstein

ogirstein Newbie

Name:
    ogir
    Boat:
    not yet
    Thanks for the offer and I will definitely let him know about it. I miss having a guy who took pictures and documented our fishing trips and then posted them on the boats website. It was a way to share the trips with family and friends. By the way, the owner is not "big bucks", but he is a fishing nut like all of us on this message board and sacrifices accordingly to make fishing happen.

13. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    2015 was a good season