Bass rod setup database

Discussion in 'The Bass Fishing Club' started by steelfish, Jul 14, 2009.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    if you are agree I think it will be a good idea to have in one place your actual setups for every Bass, calicos, sandies, spotties and LM bass.
    I pretty sure a lot of people (like me) have a lot of questions in wich will be the best set up for inshore, land, kayak and fresh water application.

my actual salwater Bass setup

from the rocks/shore:
    reel - cardiff 200
    rod - fenwick venture 6.6ft 3/4oz
    line -20# braid, 14# long mono topshot

reel -tica aries 3000
    rod - balzer 10ft 3/4oz lure
    line - 12# red cajun

inshore:
    reel - saltist 20H / abu 6500c3
    rod - abu garcia ambassadeur salmon rod 8.6ft 1 1/4oz (still looking for the proper rod for these reels)
    line -20# braid, 20# mono topshot

feel free to make any comment or recomendation to my setup

2. T BICKLE

T BICKLE super cool LA guy

Name:
    garrett
    Boat:
    16ft ebbtide under construction
    does it catch fish? you're good to go
    imo its all personal preference. i use a teramar 15-20lb rod with a curado 300 or calcutta 200. most my rigs have 50-65lb braid and i switch up the mono/flouro topshot depending on where im fishing. 10lb for in harbor 20-25 for heavy structure. fyi the heavier braid works great when fishing the kelp and you have to saw through some of those stringers. a shorter topshot is recommended for that application

3. Father Ken

Father Ken Douchepickle

Name:
    notnek
    Boat:
    nothing
    Endless options for inshore kelp bed / boiler rock bass set ups these days . The new Shimano Curados , and Calcuttas, the Abu Revo and Toro reels , the Diawa Luna's to name a couple . So many good reels and rods . I am liking the Terramar's ,and Diawa heartland slamon rods, and the Jimmy Decker Specials for inshore bassing.

I am digging the heavier braid these days , 50 to 65 pound , with a 4 foot 20 to 40 pound mono or flouro leader . The fish do not seem to bite less , the braid to mono connection holds better , and you I do not loose fish to kelp and rocks as much with the bigger line . Izorline braid is my new favorite , not as waxy as the Power Pro . Never know when a WSB or Yellow is gonna hit while fishing the kelp beds.

4. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Mi amigo Ken, you ringed the bell, that's exactly the main idea to have as many set ups as possible in one place, the idea is just to put what we are using right now "for this and for that" and some short comment.

5. Produce Man

Produce Man How you Bean ?

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    14' Hewescraft
    I have 2 favorites
    An unknown # American Tackle 7' graphite 12-25 3/4-2oz with a Penn Pursuit w/40# braid, sometimes a mono topshot. I fish this on my boat when drifting thru the forest.

A Rainshadow 1087 8' 10" 12-25 3/4-4oz with a Quantum Cabo PT 30 , same line. I can change to a Newell 229 w/20 mono to use for bait. Really like this one. Built it for plastics on the sporties or fun with chickens.

6. calicopro

calicopro Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
    Let's see...

currently using

Curado 300/ Calstar GX-8 (for chucking larger plastics 6, and 6.5", and also pokeholing in the mat)
    Curado 300/ GUSA 711H (tossing plastics, and TJWs)
    Curado 200 E7/ GUSA 80XF (fishing topwater stuff, like the slug, buzz-bombs, and sometimes the spinner bait)
    Curado 200 E5/ Phenix 711 (fishing 5 inch plastics)
    Calcutta 300TE/Calstar 900XL (for tossing Tady C's down the lanes in the kelp)
    Calcutta 400TE/ GUSA 78H cut down (on accident) for fishing 2, and 2.5oz heads in deeper water stuff.

I've been putting the new Curado 200s through the paces, so far I'm impressed..Took em down to Mecca (Sacramento Reef), Cedros, and Benitos and got bass to 8.5lbs. We'll see how well they last throughout the rest of the season :loverz:

7. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    I'd like to see a Revo handle a 30 # WSB or YT, and not get spooled. I've been trying myself.

8. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
  9. ibfishin

ibfishin At the mercy of the sea

Name:
    Jeremie
    Boat:
    Parker 18,
    I love the new Curado 300. I've got it on an older Shimano 812XFA that was made in the good old US before Shimano shipped everything over seas. 50# power pro and 25# floro. This set up kicks ass in the kelp.

10. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    It's no problem if you fish straight spectra.
    I got this fish on a Calcutta 200 TE and 30# spectra (it has the same line capacity as a Revo)...
    [​IMG]